Board index mDd Board Rule finding board

Modified grenades sound

This stays here as long as it takes to work out the new server rules

Modified grenades sound

Postby nLxajA » Oct 5th, '14, 9:43 pm

Hi.
Like 3-4 mounths ago i find out about modified grenade sound. Its help alot on maps with predict grenade tricks, but i dont have final decition about it - its cheat or not :)? If yes, how we can check this? If no, i want everyone to be on equal terms. Attach my pk3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clean Quake3 (1.32c) with installed defrag 1.91.25 & dfengine 1.08 + distributives windows/linux versions ioquake3, iodfengine, dfengine and defrag included ("xFiles" folder): cloud.mail.ru | yandex.disk.ru.
All defrag maps repack! <- very useful! Highly recommended!
nLxajA

Re: Modified grenades sound

Postby TittenIgnition » Oct 6th, '14, 9:26 am

Temporary/simple check would simply be look in the referenced paks, and if you REALLY wanted to crack down on cheaters you could REQUIRE certain pk3s, and only those pk3s be loaded, and unmodified (I think there's also a checksum stored in the demo's baseline for each pk3, so modifying pak0 for instance wouldn't work).

Of course, that's if we consider this a cheat. Which I do. I will use it for a little while, because I suck at nades, and I want to learn the timing better - this will make it a lot easier than simply trying to guess, or time 2.5s in my head. I intend to remove this pk3 eventually though, as I don't really agree with these crutch-type tools being used, especially in competitions.
wtf i have a signature?
TittenIgnition

Postby ZyaX » Oct 6th, '14, 4:45 pm

Being on the start line on dfruns-xaja-c on a populated server with this file is fun :D

As for cheat. I just like how I can make consistent nades now :P I guess that I am not skilled enough to learn advanced nade timing over the years, or maybe I just didn't put my mind into trying to learn it.
There are always arguments against helpers in defrag, yet there are a ton of them that the community accepts. There are some purists out there that would much rather force cg_draw2d 0 than accept the current state of defrag today. But I guess they are just like vigilant sentinels keeping an eye out for any type of aid that may break the game. So far, however, nothing has broken the game according to the community. I don't think this thing will either.

Also, thanks for sharing this file!
ZyaX
Voice of Reason

Postby uN*DeaD|HOX » Oct 6th, '14, 6:58 pm

xaja, your interval 0.612, why? For example jump interval 0.712 and i use 0.712
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
uN*DeaD|HOX

Postby TittenIgnition » Oct 7th, '14, 12:11 am

ZyaX wrote:There are always arguments against helpers in defrag, yet there are a ton of them that the community accepts.

As always, there is a line that I personally don't want to cross, or don't want the crossing of to be widely accepted. Normally that wouldn't exactly be a problem, but because other peoples' limits of acceptance aren't the same, they decide to not understand or accept that same fact. That's where arguments arise.

I definitely don't like modifying game files - that is way over the line, no question.
wtf i have a signature?
TittenIgnition

Postby <hk> » Oct 11th, '14, 11:07 pm

I don't think this is an issue. Even i have a pretty good feeling for nades. Actually the sound throws me off. I can't time nades right when they fumble over the floor. No sound at all would be perfectly fine, I guess.

My point about helpers is, that they don't matter at high skill levels. Some are even counterproductive like the cgaz hud.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby TittenIgnition » Oct 12th, '14, 3:50 am

<hk> wrote:My point about helpers is, that they don't matter at high skill levels. Some are even counterproductive like the cgaz hud.

What are you trying to say, huh? You calling me bad? You wanna fight? :snooty:
wtf i have a signature?
TittenIgnition

Postby sL1k » Mar 21st, '16, 5:36 pm

ZyaX wrote:Being on the start line on dfruns-xaja-c on a populated server with this file is fun :D

As for cheat. I just like how I can make consistent nades now :P I guess that I am not skilled enough to learn advanced nade timing over the years, or maybe I just didn't put my mind into trying to learn it.
There are always arguments against helpers in defrag, yet there are a ton of them that the community accepts. There are some purists out there that would much rather force cg_draw2d 0 than accept the current state of defrag today. But I guess they are just like vigilant sentinels keeping an eye out for any type of aid that may break the game. So far, however, nothing has broken the game according to the community. I don't think this thing will either.

Also, thanks for sharing this file!

I have mixed feelings about it.
First have to say gj on the modification. helps a lot =)
It makes things easier... but where to start and where to end on modifying pk3 content. As for another example there was a map (don´t remember which... ) where a shortcut was in, made of blacksky similar texture. I prolly changed it to somewhat you can see where you go...

Now, it´s kinda the same thing, but even more haxored? get me? =D
sL1k