Board index DeFRaG Mapping

Converting Problems ( .obj / .3ds -> to -> .bsp or .map )

Maps and the process of creating them

Re: Converting Problems ( .obj / .3ds -> to -> .bsp or .map

Postby GlueDrinker » Apr 26th, '19, 11:05 pm

Looks pretty good.

20 brushes merged into 1 - yeah, don't skip the merging step if you want a decent topology.
GlueDrinker

Postby Rust7 » Apr 28th, '19, 3:51 pm

Le another black niger wrote:both 3ds and obj work, models are not fairly large

Looks cool. Can you send these to me? Or you doing all the merge works now?
Somehow the models doesnt loaded for me, it's a shame. Hope this .map files will work.
Rust7

Postby Le another black niger » Apr 29th, '19, 8:25 am

Nothing to send, this is radiant of your choice, which is not loading models and maps.
Moreover it wont allow to quickly select generic set of brushes or faces and to merge them.
Le another black niger

Postby Rust7 » Apr 29th, '19, 9:40 am

And which Radiant is this?

Btw, I also thinks that Glue's idea is not bad too. Load the model, then re-create using it as 'blueprint'. But my GTK Radiant won't load the models in sadly. Viewing it, in an another program, is just not the same - much harder to copy it correctly, using only your eyes and guessing.

Oh and beside the results, thanks for spending some time for these broken files/ideas :D
Rust7

Postby GlueDrinker » Apr 29th, '19, 7:41 pm

Rust7 wrote:But my GTK Radiant won't load the models in sadly. Viewing it, in an another program, is just not the same - much harder to copy it correctly, using only your eyes and guessing.

My NetRadiant (very old build) can't load the model files either, but imports the .map files I sent you just fine.

Anyway, from those screenshots, it looks like autoclip does a better job than Blender at extruding triangles. The .map files generated by Blender are buggy, while autoclip's decompiled .map files look much better and may actually be used as they are (after merging). At this point, you better follow Le another black niger's method.
GlueDrinker

Postby <)Ghost(> » Aug 10th, '19, 2:26 am

dont remember the specifics as its been awhile since ive opened radiant, but you can convert obj files to .map with a batch compiler. IIRC, its the same process as decompiling a map. Rusty is old school and doesnt use newer builds, so yes, its possible, i've done it before. :shifty: :whistle: :shifty:
<)Ghost(>

Postby GlueDrinker » Aug 10th, '19, 4:59 pm

It's not just about converting from one format to another, which is possible (I've written an .obj -> .map converter myself), but getting a .map file that's actually usable.
GlueDrinker

Previous