Board index mDd Board The mDd servers

Upcomming features at mDd

Talk about Servers within the mDd server network

Upcomming features at mDd

Postby <hk> » Jan 7th, '13, 1:31 am

Here is what we are up to in the next couple of month:

Currently we are rewriting the server proxymod from scratch. As many features as possible should be centralised to make updating easier. Also this enables us to update !<command> behaviour without restarting any of the servers.

Features on central server:
  • Lua scripting for all the data and command requests send in by the foreign servers.
  • update software/maps on colony servers
  • automatically download demos
  • team run support
  • kill/restart dead servers

Features on the colony servers:
  • low 3rd party lib dependency
  • push and remove maps to/from servers remotely
  • custom votes (ex. callvote killobs)
  • player dependant server setup (ex. crossing the finish line logged in and being asked whether the time should be logged.

Features we find interesting but are not so sure about implementing them.
  • awards in the profile
  • leveling in the profile (get more features based on level)
  • global chatting (talk to other servers ingame) (requires level)
  • challange system (get a computer generated challange a week and earn points in case you accomplish it ex. "improve your time on pgultimate by 10%")
  • public serverdemo downloading in case player wants to share (disk storage problem)
  • A credit system you can use to buy features.
  • A way to sell serverdemos to other players for ingame credits
  • Give cheat items after a run is finished for ingame credits
  • Make bets with other players ex. "I bet you 500 credits you can't finish palmslane within a month!"
  • Player checkpoints i the database
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Re: Upcomming features at mDd

Postby Newbrict » Jan 8th, '13, 1:50 am

<hk> wrote:Features we find interesting but are not so sure about implementing them.
  • awards in the profile
  • challange system (get a computer generated challange a week and earn points in case you accomplish it ex. "improve your time on pgultimate by 10%")
  • public serverdemo downloading in case player wants to share (disk storage problem)

I like these
Newbrict

Postby amt-morbus » Jan 12th, '13, 12:56 pm

[WWWD]newbrict wrote:
<hk> wrote:Features we find interesting but are not so sure about implementing them.
  • awards in the profile

I like these

I like the challenge system idea! Since "the more challenge thread" is popular, it might be good idea to implement this.
amt-morbus

Postby wubwub » Jan 12th, '13, 7:49 pm

i bet arka 500 credits he can't finish tr1ckhouse blue plasma within a month
wubwub

Postby ZyaX » Oct 24th, '13, 9:28 pm

My thoughts on an achievements system is that defrag is good in and of itself, that the players that play it don't seem to get bored of it. Rather, it's the maps that get boring, and there is a constant flow of new content in that regard. Content that keep with the time, like gb and perhaps the increased strafe abilities of players (palmslane would probably have been inconceivable back in 2003).

So to convert it to World of Defrag may have a detrimental effect on it and the community, in the sense that it will partly change the incentive for playing. Or maybe it won't. Perhaps it might overcome one of the old curses of defrag that it does not reach out to people very well. Because let's face it, despite the fact that defrag is not for everyone, there are many more potential players out the than are in the community now.
It might sound like I'm trying to peddle this game, and yes, I'm lonely on the fastcap servers :P I do like this small community that we have and I'm not saying I want the quantity of bf, lol or wow, but a little larger. At least some more cycling of people to filter out nice defrag players who will stay :)

I base this degradation theory on the fact that world of warcraft started to see some backlash as their achievement system had been in place for a while, since it led to people doing things they really didn't want to just to get a medal for it. But then again, the game was becoming more streamlined at the same time.
Maybe it won't hurt the game because it has the element that keeps it good and interesting, i.e. the new maps, and this may just make the community even more tightly knit. We have all seen the rank 1 stand-offs. No talking until someone breaks rec, only smiley binds, which at the time aren't really what the players want to convey.

Checkpoints and global chat seem cool though.
ZyaX
Voice of Reason

Postby Newbrict » Nov 1st, '13, 7:54 pm

As you said defrag does not reach out to people well. Most people who try defrag become discouraged by the difficulty of doing even the most elementary maps ( to more experience players ). I think we should really try to make it easier to learn how to play defrag, or at least give some other incentives to keep playing such as achievements/leveling (gamification (of a game)).

Initially a lot of the fun I had in defrag was discovering how everything works, but for many people that isn't as rewarding as it was for me so if we had something else to help ease the learning process until they know how to play at a basic level that would be great. I think getting to know the community and getting a feel for how to actually play is what ultimately keeps people here so that won't change if we added achievements and what not.

I just want to see the community grow :)
Newbrict