Board index mDd Board The mDd servers

Deleting records

Talk about Servers within the mDd server network

Deleting records

Postby 742617000027 » Mar 20th, '10, 11:23 am

Hello.

I think the players should have the option to erase all of their records, if they want to. The way it works now is to either use scripts or other measures considered forbidden on the servers or to ask hk and hope for him not being too busy. Means, if you really want to have your records deleted, it is doable but it's also inconvenient. I understand that the possibility to delete single records is not an option, since everyone will delete their records that are, let's say, worse than 3rd place. But deleting all records won't be used carelessly by most players as it is tantamount to erasing months of work. So, I'd strongly f1 for a "Delete all records" button somewhere. How bout you?

Re: Deleting records

Postby <hk> » Mar 21st, '10, 2:49 am

I still compare defrag to some tournament like the Olympic games. You can't just go back and erase all evidence you were part of a 100 meter sprint and SUCKED. I don't see why this should be poss here. There is simply no motivation for doing this except shame or bragging. Both are nothing that would justify a reset of a whole account.

Claim to have cheated to get your account reset, is just pathetic. It just proofs you don't want stand by your times from the past. It's so lame. :evil:
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby 742617000027 » Mar 21st, '10, 12:01 pm

Of course that would be the whole sense behind it, deleting old records or especially those that were accidently logged. It's not like you revealed my secret yet true motivation in your brilliancy :p

The thing is that you can have your recs deleted anyway. I know of people that asked you and in which cases you deleted their records and there are obviously those players who got their recs wiped out due to cheating. So, when it's possible anyway why not implementing a system that is fair for everyone and doesn't push one into actual cheating?

If you were so serious about what you said, you wouldn't have deleted the times of some. At least be consistent in what you do and what you say.

Postby <hk> » Mar 21st, '10, 3:36 pm

It shouldn't be as easy as to push a button. Record deletion ought to be hard. Or else everyone would do it on the slightest indication of a misfitting time.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby 742617000027 » Mar 21st, '10, 5:36 pm

You mean it should be 'hard' like the one who wants his records to be deleted must befriend you at first so that you do him a favour? You should overthink what you said about being pathetic :p

Postby ZyaX » Mar 23rd, '10, 6:42 pm

I agree that there is no real motivation for being able to delete all your records. When you think about it it sounds really corrupt, like "I was never here" or "This conversation never took place".
But if you really want this for some reason, (and yes, then all your times should go, not just the ones you choose) you will also have to face the fact that you will be branded as a cheater in the community. This is the proper prize in my opinion.

Seeing as what I just wrote seems to coincide with HK's opinion, I will condemn the said act of deleting someone's records at their will, if such thing did take place. And I think not doing that will be adhered to in the future.
ZyaX
Voice of Reason

Postby AL!EN » Mar 23rd, '10, 10:32 pm

How about "Delete all records" as a function that it can be used once every three months and only 5 times :?:
"strafe is the most important 'weapon' in defrag" - <hk>
AL!EN

Postby $$-albion » Mar 24th, '10, 1:29 pm

eS-AL|EN wrote:How about "Delete all records" as a function that it can be used once every three months and only 5 times :?:

I have to disagree. If you don't want a record, don't make one than. Don't like your current record? Try to improve it. Don't succeed in improving it, go cry in a corner and slap yourself! Ok taht sounds kinda harsh ;D but still a "Delete all/Delete some records" function is a bad idea.
$$-albion

Postby <hk> » Mar 25th, '10, 6:01 am

I want deletions to be an exception, not the common case. There won't be buttons or any other kind of support for exceptional cases. It's not worth the effort.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7