Board index DeFRaG DeFRaG in general

Late for the party

Are you really the best?

Late for the party

Postby BottomFragger » Dec 18th, '16, 2:37 am

After seeing some absolutely mindblowing Defrag movies a week ago like the Hangtime2 Cup ive decided to give it a try myself and so far it feels great. As someone whos coming from CSGOs Bhop, kz (climb) and surf servers Defrag feels like the perfected game for me. Kz or Bhop never really satisfied me to my fullest in CS and i only usually played them late at night when i wanted to play something but was too tired to concentrate fully. Only recently when i got into Kz properly i stumbled upon a PCGamer article which showcased the Kz scene of CS did i hear about Defrag for the first time. There was a comment where someone said Quake 3s Defrag was much more impressive and he provided a link to Trixos World cup movie. After seeing the amazing movement and skill gap i knew i wanted it and here i am. Unfortunately im 17 years late and the community has shrinked. It feels very discouraging to play mostly alone on offline servers due to the Defrag servers being empty, but i want to learn, as this is propably the most satisfying game mode ive ever played. Im currently practicing strafing/bhopping and have played a couple hours of strafe3 on both VQ3 and CPM.

Can you guys suggest some rocket/plasma/grenade launcher centric maps where i can pratice gun control? Also some good beginner maps that arent just practice maps to keep me satisfied? Someone suggested me Ultimate2 but i didnt really like it too much.

Also just out of interest when did the community start shrinking? Ive read alot posts on this forum about people quitting and losing motivation but when exactly did it become noticable? I really hate myself for not starting earlier as im propably one of 3 people starting defrag in 2016 (almost 2017) and i feel like ive missed alot of amazing demos and competitions. I will keep going tho as Defrag feels so incredibly satisfying and there doesnt seem to be anything like it out there and yes ive searched for newer alternatives..
BottomFragger

Re: Late for the party

Postby TittenIgnition » Dec 18th, '16, 6:24 am

I think it started dying off a little before I started, in 2009-ish. After that, a lot of the big names just left, over the course of the last few years. Innovation has died, partly because there's so little competition and no inspiration. I know my playtime dropped drastically after Arcaon stopped playing so much, even more so when Shio disappeared (five friggin' times), and my level editing/all Quake 3 almost completely stopped when the few people I played with all scattered. I saw no reason to work on levels if I had nobody to show them to, and I had no reason to play when the few good friends I could somewhat compete with disappeared.

The longer this game goes on, the less there is to do in it, and people simply grow old and grow tired of it. I honestly feel kinda empty without Defrag. This is the best game I've ever played, but there are too few players left. New players are so difficult to find because of the immense time you need to invest to get good, especially when there are so many instant gratification games out there lately.
wtf i have a signature?
TittenIgnition

Postby RetroHelix » Dec 18th, '16, 2:22 pm

RetroHelix

Postby hairy balls » Dec 19th, '16, 2:33 am

nah, the only thing thats dying is them old farts who been into this shit for like 17 yrs now LOL and thats a sad thing tho, but thats aite

i already got my props even tho i never happened to play with arcaon and dunno who that shio guy is (no disrespek). u just do what u gots to to get that respek and thats what its all about

but it aint no games aite so take yo ass to the movies if u want entertainment

salam
hairy balls

Postby Takyon » Dec 19th, '16, 11:04 am

Yes, we use the currency "respek" to purchase "props" here at DeFRaG. Because internet props is important.
Takyon

Postby hairy balls » Dec 19th, '16, 3:50 pm

hell yeah its important, but u cant buy it son. so u gots to take it if u want some
hairy balls

Postby Takyon » Dec 19th, '16, 5:16 pm

I play DeFRaG to gain street cred.
Takyon

Postby wubwub » Dec 19th, '16, 6:30 pm

TittenIgnition wrote:I know my playtime dropped drastically after Arcaon stopped playing so much, even more so when Shio disappeared

lol
wubwub

Postby Arcaon » Dec 19th, '16, 9:05 pm

Boner status: expanding
Arcaon

Postby demon0r » Dec 19th, '16, 10:34 pm

Arcano! Hi :)
demon0r

Next