Board index DeFRaG DeFRaG in general

Introducing new players to Defrag

Are you really the best?

Introducing new players to Defrag

Postby se1z » May 27th, '15, 4:00 pm

Hello Fellow Defraggers
I think that it’s undeniable that introducing new players to Defrag is an ongoing tiresome topic that zillions of people before me tried to solve, and probably never achieved a satisfying outcome. So I thought about it for a bit where the crux of the matter was.
I thought about my first year in defrag and where the core problem was. I myself was introduced to Defrag by other players as I guess, most of you here did the same. Not only is it a plunge into the deep end and requires some self-initiative to get the hang of it, but it also requires a basic understanding of defrag or quake 3 itself.
There are console commands and many other things, that might be too much for a new player to take in.
I personally took a different approach to the learning process. I started playing Warsow to get the basic idea of tricking and basic idea of it, and switched over to defrag later after I felt, I was ready.
But it‘s easier to assume that a new player has little to no experience with defrag or quake or similar games.
Which brings me to the point where I think that Jack_the_Peg is right though, the wiki page needs an urgent update, but first and foremost a completion. I would also like to see some images and video to explain certain techniques, we have an official defrag spokesman *cough nebula* :)
Since the live stream of defrag worldcup 2015 ended, I think it is time to use his sexy voice elsewhere -> video tutorials
There are tons of maps out there where you can practise the basics, but allmost all of them require a basic understanding of the techniques and assumes that you already know how to move, how timing works and other things.
None of these maps teach timing of weaponless movement or movement with guns (rocketjumping, plasmajumping, aso).
I thought of something that could teach these things easier to newcomers.
For example, a circle jump could be tought by a 90 or 180 degree curved brush. You would have to move along it to get the movement pattern and practice muscle memory.
For strafe jump I thought about basic strafe pads that have walls which are pointing exactly in the direction of the strafe angle you need to hit. In addition you could add slime or water brushes to slower down the movement to really practice it on a slower speed level.
The same example of the strafe pad training could be applied to air strafe movement.
OBs and weaponmovements are advanced and there are already good maps which teach the basics in a moderate speed.

Apolgies for the long post, I tried to keep it as short as possible but the topic has a wide span of different topics to consider.
Thoughts and suggestions are welcome

Thank you for reading

Greetz se1z
se1z

Re: Introducing new players to Defrag

Postby Lame » May 27th, '15, 8:15 pm

Lame

Postby se1z » May 27th, '15, 10:09 pm

I know these video tutorials and I know that there are alot of them out there, I am not an idiot.
You might not quite grasp the concept here. I was talking about having the whole tutorial on one website, so you dont have to look them up, and still even most of those tutorials arent explained very well.
If you assume that some newcomers have never touched a shooter, than what are these tutorials going to help them if they dont know how to setup gazhud? Not very much to be quite frank.
se1z

Postby Le another black niger » May 28th, '15, 8:13 am

There is very detailed tutorial on almost every existing df technique in russian.
I suppose russians become pro in a month of playing due to that.
Do they?

Part about config has english version tho:
http://q3farsh.nm.ru/FM_School/Cfg_n_Hard_eng.htm
Le another black niger

Postby se1z » May 28th, '15, 8:26 am

Le another black niger wrote:There is very detailed tutorial on almost every existing df technique in russian.
Do they?

Any Russian player care to translate it and put it up on q3df wiki?
Not sure how to take the "becoming pro in a month part" sarcasm?
se1z

Postby [Carlos Jr.]Carlos » May 28th, '15, 8:27 am

Le another black niger wrote:There is very detailed tutorial on almost every existing df technique in russian.
Do they?

hi fm
[Carlos Jr.]Carlos

Postby Le another black niger » May 28th, '15, 8:42 am

se1z wrote:Not sure how to take the "becoming pro in a month part" sarcasm?

knowledge != awareness
Le another black niger

Postby se1z » May 28th, '15, 9:02 am

Le another black niger wrote:
se1z wrote:Not sure how to take the "becoming pro in a month part" sarcasm?

knowledge != awareness

Wow, that insight
Back to Topic: any russian player cares to translate it to english?
se1z

Postby xlarve » May 30th, '15, 1:27 pm

very helpful and interesting guides! Reading to-night till 2 am!
xlarve