Board index DeFRaG DeFRaG in general

New in here...

Are you really the best?

Re: New in here...

Postby lith » Feb 28th, '15, 1:09 am

There's a video named "Genesis - The Beginning Of" which will probably help you a little.

Also, if I recall - the guy who told you to "Sod Off!" was Kittenignition and he went into a damn long conversation with you on IRC about it, but maybe you mean somebody else. The game has been dead for years anyway and defrag is still somewhat alive
-l1th-
lith

Postby wubwub » Feb 28th, '15, 1:55 am

Thanks Carlos
wubwub

Postby <)Ghost(> » Feb 28th, '15, 3:26 am

wubwub wrote:Thanks Carlos

this. :lol:
<)Ghost(>

Postby Jake_The_Peg » Feb 28th, '15, 1:06 pm

wubwub wrote:e: just because one guy told you to fuck off in #defrag doesnt mean the community as a whole isnt going to help you. ask again in the channel, ask on the servers, the community is a lot more helpful than most; the fact there isnt really a central resource is probably a good reason why

My appologies wub, I had to think a little, before replyin...
Hmm well yes. I could ask, and I do....
But.. u see.. Videos and other forms of online info, and/or even tutorials and such... Are there to save everybody's time.. Yours included.. Coz they are available 24/7/365. To everybody. And if I really decide to give this game some serious thought, I would need hundreds of hours of study, and thousands of hours of practice.
But.. since there aint much to study anywhere, I still might go elsewhere and play Lemmings instead..

Re: L1th:
Thank you.. I seen BOTH intro videos, but the point is: there should've been hundreds. And tutorials. And wiki ..
Next: The identity of the guy will remain a secret, I do not wish it known, only the fact, that it did happen.
"Somewhat alive"... hmmm maybe.
Jake_The_Peg

Postby Timothy » Feb 28th, '15, 2:56 pm

You're not going to get any better by just watching tutorials. Most of the basics are explained in Genesis. After that it's all about practise, practise and practise. If you're looking for a game that is holding your hand along the way then this is probably not for you.

If this game is going to die it's because of a lack of development and incompetent admins.
Timothy

Postby Takyon » Feb 28th, '15, 4:51 pm

I sort of agree on that more thorough and accessible explanations would be nice. I've played DeFRaG for a couple of years now and I still figure out new aspects of the game by myself from just playing alot, which is very fulfilling but not a very effective way of learning.

I also feel like Russians have it alot easier, I imagine that information in stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8JvWX88Cik would be very usefull.
Takyon

Postby Jake_The_Peg » Feb 28th, '15, 5:52 pm

Takyon wrote:(...) which is very fulfilling but not a very effective way of learning.

Very well put.

In numbers (as an example):
IF there was a reasonable amount of data online, like for example that russian video (Nice find takyon, too bad I don't understand russian)...
... Time to become average: 2 years, Pro: maybe 4.

If there is nothing much, as it stands today... ..time to become average player: 5, Pro: +2 at least
---
It ain't about 'holding anyone's hand' as such.. Just providing a platform from which u can JUMP UP, mate!! If there WAS some such thing as Useful wiki, which'd describe ALL the different types of jumps, bounces, boosts etc, gave an examples, listed maps to practice such stuff etc... Then I bet - EVEN YOU, Tim, could learn some stuff you didn't know just by learning-as-u-hop-along.

That's all.

So... Is this situation gonna change or not?
Jake_The_Peg

Postby kairos » Mar 1st, '15, 9:06 am

Jake_The_Peg wrote:It ain't about 'holding anyone's hand' as such.. Just providing a platform from which u can JUMP UP, mate!! If there WAS some such thing as Useful wiki, which'd describe ALL the different types of jumps, bounces, boosts etc, gave an examples, listed maps to practice such stuff etc... Then I bet - EVEN YOU, Tim, could learn some stuff you didn't know just by learning-as-u-hop-along.

That's all.

So... Is this situation gonna change or not?

you sound like a child demanding his ice cream, but I'll take you seriously

I suppose a database for all that stuff would be nice, but a lot of the time these more advanced tricks and techniques can't be explained with only words. usually these things are taught by interaction between players and by asking questions and whatnot. the only way I can think of to get around this is by attaching demos to the wiki page for that specific trick, but I don't know if that'll cut it. maybe I'll attempt that tonight

for future reference, appearing angry and impatient does not help you. if you really wanted to get this problem fixed, you could start by writing wiki articles yourself on basic jumps and shit that you've learned in your time here instead of complaining about it on the fucking forum
kairos

Postby Jake_The_Peg » Mar 1st, '15, 2:53 pm

I have learned? After less than two months?? pffaahHAHAHAHAH that was a good one... what good would THAT do to anybody??

And sorry if I sounded a bit impatient, but I really felt, that this thread needed some call for action, Which I previously have not put in, in hope, that someone will step forward.

There's so much stuff.. Bounces, boosts, weapons, jumps, etc etc .. and each one of em reacts differently in cpm and vq3...

So.. really and truly, this is a task for someone really experienced with the stuff, not a horrible noobz like myself.
Jake_The_Peg

Postby esc?nebuLa » Mar 2nd, '15, 1:52 pm

Too much talking, not enough playing! The best way to learn is through interaction and experience.
https://www.facebook.com/TeamEventHorizon
#tricking_eh on irc.quakenet.org
esc?nebuLa

PreviousNext