Board index DeFRaG DeFRaG in general

Strafe pad demos

Are you really the best?

Re: Strafe pad demos

Postby 742617000027 » Aug 28th, '11, 10:58 am

According to fefe who hang out alot with her online (including in voice chats I assume), she really is a girl. She stopped when she had an argument with fefe and some others, they made little of it public back in the days @ OPC.

Postby khetti » Sep 23rd, '11, 2:53 am

lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
khetti

Postby DF/// ifoo » Oct 6th, '11, 4:49 pm

got some neat values here...
its a beta padstrafe map which is not released yet, so i cant upload the demo i guess D:
nothing special, but i think thats the hardest lane ive ever done.

http://i.imgur.com/TxiEk.jpg
DF/// ifoo

Postby TittenIgnition » Oct 6th, '11, 5:33 pm

DF/// ifoo wrote:got some neat values here...
its a beta padstrafe map which is not released yet, so i cant upload the demo i guess D:
nothing special, but i think thats the hardest lane ive ever done.

http://i.imgur.com/TxiEk.jpg

I'm a nub, but I can appreciate that.

N1
wtf i have a signature?
TittenIgnition

Postby DF/// ifoo » Oct 11th, '11, 9:38 pm

:|
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DF/// ifoo

Postby hugman » Oct 14th, '11, 8:18 pm

Last time I uploaded people complained about pmove so now I re-recorded without pmove. I don't notice any difference. Got a much better CJ on my other demo though so I don't like this one. But just wanted to prove pmove had nothing to do with it.

Actually landed this twice today. Wasn't expecting to first so I wasn't recording. I think it was because I wanted to do the 10 cos1-white2 in a row posted earlier, but I kept getting stuck at 8 (got past it though) but it was pretty good practice for strafeskill at the end of the lane which is always where I have the most problem.

Will never do w3spgaz though, would have to change my cj technique entirely. I'm impressed so many people here have landed it, takes some of the accomplishment out of o2b.
hugman

Postby TittenIgnition » Oct 14th, '11, 11:49 pm

hugman wrote:Last time I uploaded people complained about pmove so now I re-recorded without pmove. I don't notice any difference. Got a much better CJ on my other demo though so I don't like this one. But just wanted to prove pmove had nothing to do with it.

Actually landed this twice today. Wasn't expecting to first so I wasn't recording. I think it was because I wanted to do the 10 cos1-white2 in a row posted earlier, but I kept getting stuck at 8 (got past it though) but it was pretty good practice for strafeskill at the end of the lane which is always where I have the most problem.

Will never do w3spgaz though, would have to change my cj technique entirely. I'm impressed so many people here have landed it, takes some of the accomplishment out of o2b.

I can't even land cos1 white at all :(
wtf i have a signature?
TittenIgnition

Postby hugman » Oct 17th, '11, 4:27 pm

KittenIgnition wrote:I can't even land cos1 white at all :(

I couldn't either for the longest time (years) but for me the key to doing it was improving my CJ. For almost all the easier lanes you can get away with really crappy CJs which means you hit a brick wall with cos1white, at least I did as I couldn't even get to the 2nd pad more than once an hour.

Something I thought was helpful was df_chs1_Info2 135
The middle number is the ground speed you have on takeoff. With practice you should be able to get it above 400 almost every time. Another thing that helps is jumping before you reach the ledge, you will ramp the first pad but spend more time in the air and get much more acceleration. It's much harder to get a good CJ with a short jump (~320u) than a long one (350+ u). Because of that I like to run away from the ledge at the start, then I just focus on turning smoothly and I jump when I'm facing almost directly forward.

A good lane to practice on is tr1ckhouse-beta3 black1 because it's a bit easier than cos1white but still hard enough to require you to improve your technique. tr1ckhouse white1 also, although it might be about the same as cos1white (ignore tr1ckhouse black2).

If you can get a 540ups CJ the lane becomes many times easier to finish than with a 530 CJ. It's the key :)

First demo here is the first time I recorded the lane and you can see my CJ is short, therefore slow even though the ground speed is decent. 2nd demo is me just trying to get a good CJ by artificially making the jump longer and you can see it makes a big difference (use df_demos_cameramode 2 and look straight down to see the difference).
hugman

Postby TittenIgnition » Oct 17th, '11, 8:15 pm

I really hate this new mouse... I can't even beat purple 2 with it. I used to be at least fairly consistent with black 1, but it's just so awkward that purple 1 is a huge pain in the ass.

I also took a huge break from defrag, which made me shit. 90fps doesn't help, either.
wtf i have a signature?
TittenIgnition

Postby hugman » Oct 17th, '11, 10:02 pm

I watched your demo and you don't do an airchange! If you don't know what it is you can probably guess it: it's just changing strafe direction in midair and it's done between pad #1 and #2. It will give you better speed and trajectory, it's the key to getting a good 2nd jump. There was a really big thread about it back on OPC!

For it to work though you need to be going more left initially and turn more left during the midair part of your CJ (you really need to turn a lot to get a good CJ anyway). When you land on the first pad you want to already be going left (use gazhud to see your movement vector in demos) and then keep turning more! When you're at the peak of the jump, or slightly after it, switch to strafing right and you will accelerate straight towards the next pad.

Watch RTB's o2b demo (2nd post in the thread) as he does it really well and also strafes HB like you. Watch in timescale 0.1 for better understanding. I also recorded a short demo on the same lane as you did just to show how I don't even make the 2nd pad without an airchange!
hugman

PreviousNext