Board index DeFRaG DeFRaG in general

New world record in VQ3 circle jump

Are you really the best?

New world record in VQ3 circle jump

Postby setup » May 1st, '11, 5:39 pm

It has been a long time ago (2006?) when cgaz set the world record of VQ3 circle jump to 605.7 UPS. Today I'm proud to overcome that record with CJ of 606.4 UPS.

Enjoy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Luck is evil.
setup

Re: New world record in VQ3 circle jump

Postby Nt.run » May 1st, '11, 6:15 pm

Nice, gratz! :)
Why didn't you mention using upmove of 10 along with staying away from -128? This is important too, as long as you can't get it by usual input methods.
Nt.run

Postby [gt]glm » May 1st, '11, 6:29 pm

GJ! :clap:
[gt]glm

Postby Arcaon » May 1st, '11, 6:30 pm

Nicely done, pro! And I like the fact that you used my map! :D
Arcaon

Postby setup » May 1st, '11, 6:35 pm

Nt.run wrote:Why didn't you mention using upmove of 10 along with staying away from -128? This is important too, as long as you can't get it by usual input methods.

I mentioned only -128 because cgaz didn't use it too.
Luck is evil.
setup

Postby TittenIgnition » May 2nd, '11, 12:32 am

could someone explain what -128 and upmove 10 are? i havent heard the term upmove yet, but i hear -128 a lot and nobody has explained it yet, even though i asked about a dozen times :<
wtf i have a signature?
TittenIgnition

Postby AL!EN » May 2nd, '11, 10:42 am

Excellent !! Congratulations 8-)
"strafe is the most important 'weapon' in defrag" - <hk>
AL!EN

Postby setup » May 2nd, '11, 5:30 pm

KittenIgnition wrote:could someone explain what -128 and upmove 10 are? i havent heard the term upmove yet, but i hear -128 a lot and nobody has explained it yet, even though i asked about a dozen times :<

In Q3 the client transmits to the server usercmd_t values, this struct is declared in qcommon/q_shared.h (or game/q_shared.h):
Code: Select all
// usercmd_t is sent to the server each client frame
typedef struct usercmd_s {
    int             serverTime;
    int             angles[3];
    int             buttons;
    byte            weapon;           // weapon
    signed char forwardmove, rightmove, upmove;
} usercmd_t;

For -128 cheat only forwardmove and rightmove are important (their values are set in CL_KeyMove() in client/cl_input.c). Normally their values range from -127 to 127. However because they are declared as `signed char', they can range from -128 to 127. The forwardmove and rightmove are processed in game/bg_pmove.c, for example, see PM_AirMove(). You'll get there bigger wishvel (~acceleration) if you use -128.

From the player perspective.. you'll be strafing a bit better when using -128.

reduced upmove
You probably noticed that on strafe pads you gain much less speed when hitting a pad. It's because you have to press the jump key there. Technically, see again PM_CmdScale(), this function handles a sqrt(2) distortion in speed. The problem is that it's used for fly (fly != air) and water move too, so it "caps speed in 3D". However airmove uses the returned value of this function only for horizontal move. So your horizontal speed is affected also by your upmove.

You can fight against this feature by using the lowest possible upmove value but it has to be big enough to activate a jump. See the beggining of PM_CheckJump(), the `10' value comes from there.

Feel free to ask if there is something unclear.

Edit: fixed some bullshit in -128 explanation.
Last edited by setup on May 2nd, '11, 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luck is evil.
setup

Postby MidiMightyMoe » May 2nd, '11, 5:36 pm

Gratz for the new record !

If I understand corectly, the var frowardmove and rightmove can have value from -128 to 127 but only -127 to 127 can be reached by hand, but you can input -128 with a script, is that the point ?
MidiMightyMoe

Postby setup » May 2nd, '11, 5:50 pm

Value -128 can be gained by humans using a combination of +moveleft (+back) and +strafe. The point is that it would be lame to get the record using -128 when cgaz didn't use it in his demo.
Luck is evil.
setup

Next