Board index DeFRaG DeFRaG in general

Offset time (+/-) Issue

Are you really the best?

Offset time (+/-) Issue

Postby $$-albion » Aug 1st, '10, 3:30 am

This topic has been split from the "New entities" topic in the mapping channel.

Awesome work berserker :D

Although I have to disagree with this statement: "- Dunno if I mentioned before but checkpoint times will now be displayed correctly: bad times are prefixed by a '+' as the times are higher, good times are prefixed by a '-'. This way twisted since defrag exists."

Ok, you could say that makes sense in a (twisted :p) way. Whatever sport that is based on elapsed time you'll always see '+ XXX' if they are going faster than the person they are comparing him/her with. The plus and minus prefixes don't mean "higher" and "lower", in fact "+" stands for "time gained" and "-" for "time lost". In other words if during a run you get, let's say 2:000 to make it easy, between 2 specific checkpoints, but in the next run you "gain a frame"/"lose a frame" between the same checkpoints, the most logical way of displaying your gain/loss of a frame is "+0:008"/"-0:008" as your time between those checkpoints will be 1:992/2:008.

Protip: it's never a good idea to highlight a negative number in green and a positive number in red :D that's like saying green = stop and red = go at a traffic light :D

I hope I well-explained my point :D my point being: these prefixes were never meant to be fixed, because they were always right :D Now I'm off to bed, I'm surprised I managed to type this much :D
$$-albion

Re: New entities

Postby AL!EN » Aug 1st, '10, 6:52 am

I agreed.
"strafe is the most important 'weapon' in defrag" - <hk>
AL!EN

Postby BeRsErKeR » Aug 1st, '10, 10:46 am

I think your wrong. Just watch some videos of ski sports or formula 1 and you will notice that better times will be always prefixed with a '-'. The checkpoint times represent the time distance to another player and a distance related to you means that you subtract the time of the other player from yours. Other players and also Cgg also think in this way about that.

You can think of it as "how much more time I needed for a part of the map" and this will intuitively lead to the mentioned fix.

Protip: it's never a good idea to highlight a negative number in green and a positive number in red :D that's like saying green = stop and red = go at a traffic light :D

I understand your intention but green only means "better" and red indicates "worse".

Here is an example for ski sports: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvI583HKbVw
Last edited by BeRsErKeR on Aug 1st, '10, 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
BeRsErKeR

Postby $$-albion » Aug 1st, '10, 11:06 am

BeRsErKeR wrote:I think your wrong. Just watch some videos of ski sports or formula 1 and you will notice that better times will be always prefixed with a '-'. The checkpoint times represent the time distance to another player and a distance related to you means that you subtract the time of the other player from yours. Other players and also Cgg also think in this way about that.

You can think of it as "how much more time I needed for a part of the map" and this will intuitively lead to the mentioned fix.

I understand your intention but green only means "better" and red indicates "worse".

Dunno about the sports thing ;D just flapped out some example there :p don't really watch sports that are based on the time wherein you finish :p still I stand by my point of view about the "+" and "-" prefixes. ^^
$$-albion

Postby Anyone_Under_This_Rank_Is_n00b » Aug 1st, '10, 12:58 pm

albion you're just overused to df's error, most people that are "against" it are.
I've reported it over 2 years ago to cgg already, and the years before that to m00m1n.
They acknowledged I'm right and said they'll fix it, but they've never done that due to laziness or whatever.

I think it's time to finally have it right, don't you agree? Also the colorindication (red/green) will remain the same, so it's only the +- that will swap.

If you want a preview you can use that !mypos cmd or whatever it was called on the online servers.
Anyone_Under_This_Rank_Is_n00b

Postby $$-albion » Aug 1st, '10, 1:17 pm

Anyone_Under_This_Rank_Is_n00b wrote:albion you're just overused to df's error, most people that are "against" it are.
I've reported it over 2 years ago to cgg already, and the years before that to m00m1n.
They acknowledged I'm right and said they'll fix it, but they've never done that due to laziness or whatever.

I think it's time to finally have it right, don't you agree? Also the colorindication (red/green) will remain the same, so it's only the +- that will swap.

If you want a preview you can use that !mypos cmd or whatever it was called on the online servers.

Meh :p Doesn't really matter what I think about it right now, it's already announced that it'll be introduced in one of the next df versions :p
$$-albion

Postby <hk> » Aug 1st, '10, 5:09 pm

I noticed the +/- error a while ago, too. w3sp is right. This should be fixed.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby amt-morbus » Aug 1st, '10, 5:58 pm

anyway, i guess nobody really watches if its a + or -. Green is better, red is worse. Finito!
amt-morbus

Postby 742617000027 » Aug 1st, '10, 9:36 pm

Just make it a changeable setting so everyone can decide on their own wether they want a + oder a - :)

Postby Anyone_Under_This_Rank_Is_n00b » Aug 2nd, '10, 2:24 am

No it has to be the same for everybody, otherwise there's too much confusing when ppl(people) ask "what checkpoints did i have on you" etc
Anyone_Under_This_Rank_Is_n00b

Next