Board index DeFRaG DeFRaG in general

appeal to the best players

Are you really the best?

Re: appeal to the best players

Postby TittenIgnition » Sep 26th, '18, 6:14 am

Just look at the variance in DFWC routes. Often rank 1 will have a wildly different route from rank 2 and onward (unless it's an un-dead clan member, then they'll all have the same route :P). It's entirely possible that rank 1 wouldn't have found that route if their minds were contaminated by someone else's inferior route.

That said, there should be an opt-in demo release thing, so if you want your demos released then they'll be available and clickable from the map page. You can opt-in by default, or opt-out, and selectively remove demos from certain maps. Best of both worlds!
wtf i have a signature?
TittenIgnition

Postby SysLocalAdmin » Sep 26th, '18, 6:37 am

I want to make my point a bit more clear. I do not, do NOT, want anyone to be forced to have their demo in the database revealed. I believe in individual liberties and the right for a person to be able to have their demos in their own privacy. I respect and honour a players decision to withhold.

But I'd kindly ask that all people willing to reveal their skills, showmanship, and people who are not afraid of the grinders to open up their routes, show their skill, and help new people learn this forgotten art. Too many sites are frequently dead or go away, like Breakdown-HQ, or defraggers.fr, etc. No doubt this forum is as dead as ever and there isn't any resources available short of asking some guy in a server why such and such physics is like this.

I'm for transparency and I didn't realize qxwe is X.X.X.X. (inder), and I'll say that, I respect his decisions and all people's decisions to withhold. That is their right and I won't ask for anyone to demand they forfeit it but I will demand that they respectfully give us what they feel we are worthy of seeing, whether it's a select few or none at all...
SysLocalAdmin

Postby Stalker » Sep 26th, '18, 11:22 am

like hell i will share my gvn demos lol
A real quaker doesnt sleep , he re-spawns
Stalker

Postby XPC32 » Sep 26th, '18, 3:37 pm

Stalker wrote:like hell i will share my gvn demos lol

You have the german flag, therefore you must be w3sp. Thus it follows that you are a cheater!!! eksha can confirm.
bewarned ! i am a noob !
XPC32

Postby [+--..] » Sep 26th, '18, 4:47 pm

F1 for best forum drama whole 2018 so far :clap:
[+--..]

Postby chert pomojnyj » Sep 27th, '18, 5:16 am

SysLocalAdmin wrote:I'm a new player but I believe all demos should be publicly available.

That's right. You must be familiar with FM's school, but by applying some basic academic norms to the community we could make a research institute for defrag out of q3df. :)

Brigand wrote:the wesp hacks was found on his demo.

XPC32 wrote:you are a cheater!!! eksha can confirm.

First of all, it would allow rigorous policing and verification by peers, which would automatically solve the problem of possible cheating. So that real masters would get respect and recognition they deserve instead of constant accusations.

qxwe wrote:Just try to apply that to the concept of competition

The competitive focus would be just switched from from q3df - with some 15 thousand maps to choose from - to actual competitions as the only source of 'best player' titles, money and 'immortal achievements': win some DFWC and noone could ever take that from you.

qxwe wrote:Individual findings that are not shared are an integral part of making competition interesting
DFWC2017 in a nutshell: The maps were suboptimal for my taste, not even one of them was fun to play at all. Same goes for the entire competition

Not too integral as I can see (ideal DFWC is never gonna happen anyway).

TittenIgnition wrote:Just look at the variance in DFWC routes.
It's entirely possible that rank 1 wouldn't have found that route if their minds were contaminated by someone else's inferior route.

That's a distortion: public access to q3df demos has nothing to do with sharing routes at DFWC, any other competition or in private.

TittenIgnition wrote:That said, there should be an opt-in demo release thing

A shitty half measure implied from the false statement.

Stalker wrote:like hell i will share

SysLocalAdmin wrote:I believe in individual liberties

It's not even a question of intellectual property:

Merton states the "communism of the scientific ethos" is flatly incompatible with "the definition of technology as “private property” in a capitalistic economy", noting the claimed right of an inventor to withhold information from the public in the case of the U.S. v. American Bell Telephone Co.

A corollary to the need for common ownership of scientific knowledge is the imperative for "full and open" communication (which he saw in J. D. Bernal's writings Bernal, J. D. (1939). The social function of science.), as opposed to secrecy (which he saw espoused in the work of Henry Cavendish, "selfish and anti-social").

So the only real question is whether we, as a community, are ready for oblivion of personal shit for the common(?) goal: the extension of defrag knowledge.
Last edited by chert pomojnyj on Nov 2nd, '18, 8:11 pm, edited 6 times in total.
I'm not a dog, but I love my master - the god of torture and vq3.. and plasma.
chert pomojnyj

Postby skyhighguy » Sep 27th, '18, 8:11 am

Hi, annh here.

I don't play dfwc because g_synchronousclients 1 (required command) causes the physic to lag and you lose acceleration clearly. Its too obvious with cgaz on to not notice. Let alone watching the accel just not exist. Btw admins... i'm not the only player who has this problem... if you fixed it quite a few other players (that do play online often) might join the comp.

@Brigand
You are just mad because you can't get good. Vq3, cpm... doesn't matter which. Slick or not. Weapons or not. Pick your poison... Not this community's fault you have no motivation to try, and want to blame others for your lack of precision. Please go cry on some other community website.

Thanks,
fuck off
skyhighguy

Postby skyhighguy » Sep 27th, '18, 8:36 am

Brigand wrote:You were friendly to me always I guess this topic was a betrayal from me) it's Nothing personal. I didn't mean to offend you personally or Annh. The message wasn't just for you. BUT YOUR STEALTH FORCE OTHERS TO FOLLOW IN YOUR FOOTSTEPS. And so we do not see not only your demos, but the demos of other participants. Think about it. Good luck!

"Didn't compete in dfwc because of no slick."

Didn't mean to offend? What the fuck did you mean then?
skyhighguy

Postby breadsticks » Sep 27th, '18, 6:25 pm

An interesting point that I haven't seen brought up so far is who gives a sh*t?
Last edited by breadsticks on Sep 27th, '18, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
breadsticks

Postby FearzEnemy4726 » Oct 12th, '18, 1:36 pm

breadsticks wrote:An interesting point that I haven't seen brought up so far is who gives a sh*t?

seconded
FearzEnemy4726

PreviousNext