Board index DeFRaG DeFRaG in general

appeal to the best players

Are you really the best?

Re: appeal to the best players

Postby Charlon » Feb 1st, '19, 12:49 pm

I love the fact that people can keep their demos, it's why defrag is such a mystery !
If I had every demo, why should I play online ?
I love the fact that I can go on a defrag map, grind it a bit, check the !top and I'm like WTF are those scores ?!
And then ANNH pops in, and I'm like OMGGGG I'm lucky, I spec him and it's like I'm part of something really special. And then I'm trying to do his route and I learn a lot :) That's how I love Defrag.
I love the fact that there is a BIIIG distance between people skills and routes, and that's why defrag is different from mario kart... where the same route is done over and over until people breaks their arms trying to do the same motions for years...

Another thing is that there is some cups, where people competes and you can download world record demos afterward and you can be amazed and understand subtle things :)

I've been in online Defrag for 4 months, Kabcorp explained what vsnap is over video conference XD, Lith explained me how to do pgb, Brigand (you right ;) ), Chopin and stqrm gave me some demos, breaker helped with with palmslane, I had stqrm on discord voice, I've watch hundred's of maps done by ANNH, I've watch so much woody stream, and I'm learning new things everyday. I had a phone call with woody to create a tutorial about how to install and play online defrag in 2 clicks. I really don't think the community is reticent to give advices. The only rule is : people are still people, some are arrogant, some are cool, just seek for coolness and you'll like the community more and don't talk to assholes
Personally, I never talked to someone silly, maybe I will later cause I'm new, but if it happens, I will be like "Ohhh, this guy sucks, end of story"

ps: Sorry for digging an old discussion but I had something to write about that since I'm new
Charlon

Postby Brigand » Feb 2nd, '19, 10:49 pm

You don't understand: I gave you a demo from bardok-avp player "ewry". This demo was freely available. So it wasn't me who helped you, ewry helped you. If the free access was a demo "bardok-avp" from inder, so inder will help you. Right? Also, these stupid old guys look like shit 12.7 on un-dead!021 about 7 years . 7 years! I am improving this time because I have a lot of demos, Xamomax, Roman, and ill sent my demo as feedback. These "best players" have long time ago had to do 49 on ameisen, 23 on cityrocket and 12.1 on un-dead!021 in cpm. That day will still come, so why not help each other with the demo exchange? Instead: Passion. Fuck! Where that? Beat w3sp's 10 years ago demos, and rdfcomp's using groundboost?
Fucking whores. The community stands still because of these bastards. No demo = no improve global skill of defrag.... or very slowly improve :).

PS: for a 4 month experience, you're asking too hard questions :p
2018- strafe
2019- rocket
Brigand

Postby Brigand » Feb 2nd, '19, 10:54 pm

In the end, I understand it as FEAR. But fear and passion can't be together, you know this better than me.
2018- strafe
2019- rocket
Brigand

Postby chert pomojnyj » Feb 3rd, '19, 6:22 am

Fear of what -- a rapist horde of "mindless pathetic grinders"? Even if all the demos were publicly available, the absolute majority of the actual players would never even watch 1/10th of all the rank1's to begin with.
One's ability to learn from the best (meaning access to the demos pretty much) must not depend on the willingness to lick some asses or to blend into a group of players, who, say, only fuck with racially equal (especially when it comes to learning from people who are not around anymore) -- that's the point.
I'm not a dog, but I love my master - the god of torture and vq3.. and plasma.
chert pomojnyj

Postby sjuk » Feb 3rd, '19, 5:36 pm

Brigand wrote:In the end, I understand it as FEAR

http://ws.q3df.org/map/FEARit/

And dear C-l1th-or-Rus, what is the name of that pagan "god of torture, vq3 and plasma", which you whoreship :pray: ?
If honestly, your signature sounds like an absolute balaboller's BS (not battle suit)
:violence-torch:
After playing a lot on kozomёt's blue tile surface maps you will not remain the same person #:&
sjuk

Postby lith » Feb 6th, '19, 4:53 am

inder said something in this thread -
"The question is not: Are you really the best? , but it is:
Are you really the biggest grinder?".

tbh hes completely right, imo there are probably 10-20 people in a certain physic or certain weapon that can all beat eachother on their best day but it's all down to either time played or depending on the map sometimes. You can ask mostly anyone and they'll be able to give you the same info any of the top3-5 guys can give you.

It isn't really relevant to the topic but it seems like this thread turned to shit anyways.
-l1th-
lith

Postby HLIDSKJALF » Feb 8th, '19, 2:33 pm

Like finnish people have a thing with pads :>

"Are you really the best grinder ?"
I think it's true, I dedicate all of my time to a single map but when it comes to runs I'm a total shit, can't get decent times, some people are just better than me, but I'll Take my revenge on pads :p

I think I'm more of a technical player, I like the beauty and perfectness of some moves, that's what I'm aiming for, pushing limits, and run maps are long enough to make it impossible to get every part made perfect, so it frustrates me :p

Grinder or not, being after dominating certain maps or just hanging around having fun isn't important to me, I Let people enjoy the game as they want, and noob or pro, I'll lend you my hand.
HLIDSKJALF

Postby oniv » Feb 24th, '19, 4:19 pm

vino here - new account, as I can't access the old one for some odd reason.

Brigand: my apologies if I came off as rude by disconnecting right after you asked what fov I'm using - surely wasn't my intention to dodge your question. Maybe I was just about to quit when you presented the question, so it was poorly timed. Furthermore, I don't always check the chat when I'm concentrating on the game.

My fov is 110.

What comes to configs, I have attached mine for your convenience. If you have any other questions, you can find me on DeFraG Discord under the alias "lautzki".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oniv

Postby Brigand » Feb 26th, '19, 4:37 pm

There are no problems. Welcome back! You and Xamomax did a great job on Palms, and others, thank you. I find the best way to learning out when I watch w3sp-pgultimate from >>hairy balls, using his configuration. I want to see what he saw, you know? It's the best way to learn. That's why I'm chasing your cfg, guys. This will help others. I'll tell them how.

ps. Nice cfg. Especially if checkpoints is a green :)
2018- strafe
2019- rocket
Brigand

Postby /cdtu/xas » Feb 28th, '19, 11:45 am

I don't get the concept of sharing everything == helping df community advance in general. One inder strafe run demo is more than enough for others to learn about velocity snapping. Kiddy was famous for his rocket runs 10 years ago and most of his runs are published, yet few has reached his level at this moment.
For me it's sad to see most people prefer strafe maps to weapon maps. Old rdfcomp maps and many others were not designed for GBs but fitting them in isn't that easy either. Players like ovcharkin and woody managed to make them into reality and shared their work but they just get mocked.
Top weapon runs are pretty much available but they merely helped anyone. People watch them, say "incredible!" and leave, nothing has changed. Strafing level of the whole community has advanced a lot in fact, while weapon run level hasn't. Talking about beating w3sp's strafe runs from 10 years ago, people can't(or don't even try to) beat viper's or fusee's runs from 15 years ago. Nihilanth's 40.4 runkull is still beyond human. That's how this community progresses with top level demos available.
/cdtu/xas

PreviousNext