Board index DeFRaG Competitions DFWC 2014

Aliasing in DFWC

The Defrag World Cup in 2014

Aliasing in DFWC

Postby esc?nebuLa » Jan 5th, '15, 5:27 am

So, I think we all suspect Segre is Farshmaker. Now, the thing that bothers me is that he got money while fake-nicking. If it was just another non-funded small competition, then I can usually look the other way. (Although, it is still pretty lame to do.) However, for DFWC (And all paid competitions), I think there should be more restrictions regarding names and perhaps time played on the account that signed up. This could be a problem for newcomers just starting out though. :(

What's the community's opinions regarding this?
https://www.facebook.com/TeamEventHorizon
#tricking_eh on irc.quakenet.org
esc?nebuLa

Re: Aliasing in DFWC

Postby demon0r » Jan 5th, '15, 12:46 pm

They should use their 'real' nicknames imo, because now we all know who they are anyway, they're recognizable under their real nicknames and 2 years from now we wouldn't have to be wondering 'hm, that weird alias guy is grenader, farshmaker or whoever the fuck?!'. We won't remember such things man, I didn't even remember that I was 6th at the last DFWC... :P
demon0r

Postby muckster » Jan 5th, '15, 2:25 pm

esc?nebuLa wrote:So, I think we all suspect Segre is Farshmaker...

Do we? It was just lith who sprayed that rumor out to the world. Do you have any verifications about that he is FM?
muckster

Postby pol » Jan 5th, '15, 4:15 pm

There's a guy from Poland called Segre who got some df vids on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZH9czLSX3s :think:
pol

Postby Duck-meat » Jan 5th, '15, 9:09 pm

As a relative newcomer to this game, can someone explain what problems are for using alternate aliases? Does it matter much what name is used if the runs are legit?

Or in this case, was a player banned for some reason and continues to play under a different alias? Maybe there is some history here, but I'm just curious.
Duck-meat

Postby Arcaon » Jan 6th, '15, 12:59 am

In all seriousness, aliasing will always be a problem as long as you have frequency components above the Nyquist frequency, which is half the sampling rate.
Arcaon

Postby GPL » Jan 6th, '15, 1:43 am

Arcaon wrote:In all seriousness, aliasing will always be a problem as long as you have frequency components above the Nyquist frequency, which is half the sampling rate.

this guy
GPL

Postby TittenIgnition » Jan 6th, '15, 2:28 am

Duck-meat wrote:As a relative newcomer to this game, can someone explain what problems are for using alternate aliases? Does it matter much what name is used if the runs are legit?

Or in this case, was a player banned for some reason and continues to play under a different alias? Maybe there is some history here, but I'm just curious.

It's really fucking annoying having someone switch names every week, it's hard to keep track and they can fakenick as whoever whenever and do whatever without consequence.
wtf i have a signature?
TittenIgnition

Postby RetroHelix » Jan 6th, '15, 11:03 am

Duck-meat wrote:As a relative newcomer to this game, can someone explain what problems are for using alternate aliases? Does it matter much what name is used if the runs are legit?

You can change the nickname used in a demo afterwards. So theoretically you easily can send in your best 5 demos and get the money for the first 5 places if you are good enough...
RetroHelix

Postby wubwub » Jan 6th, '15, 8:17 pm

Arcaon wrote:In all seriousness, aliasing will always be a problem as long as you have frequency components above the Nyquist frequency, which is half the sampling rate.

can u fuck urself ok
wubwub

Next