Board index DeFRaG Competitions DFWC 2013

DFWC2013 Greater Efforts

Canceled due to lack of maps

DFWC2013 Greater Efforts

Postby 琠灹㵥琢硥⽴慪慶捳楲瑰㸢㰊 » Dec 14th, '12, 11:00 am

DFWC2013 Map Designers Rules (December 14, 2012)

1. Maps should be well designed and must not have any errors and/or warnings.
2. Start timers must be triggered once and player clipped to prevent timer reset.
3. There must be at least ten map designers to submit one or more maps.

DFWC2013 Map Testing Rules (December 14, 2012)

1. Map testers must verify their designed maps does not come with any errors and/or warnings.
2. Map testers are not eligible to modify their designed maps.
3. Requires at least two map testers.

DFWC2013 Web Development and Designers Rules (December 14, 2012)

1. Web pages must be well designed and must not have any typo errors and misspelled words.
2. Web developers and designers are only eligible to write web pages in American English.
3. HTML codes must not contain any errors.

DFWC2013 Validator Rules (December 14, 2012)

1. All validators must use timescale or fixedtime to slow down demo playback. This helps to detect random behaviors. Lower the com_maxfps for slower demo playback.
2. When validating, do not use an automated demo validation software. Only manual validation.
3. Requires at least 5 validators.

All DFWC2013 teams must be vigilant at all times.
ℼ佄呃偙⁅呈䱍倠䉕䥌⁃ⴢ⼯㍗⽃䐯䑔䠠䵔⁌⸴㄰吠慲獮瑩潩慮⽬䔯≎ാഊ㰊瑨汭ാ㰊敨摡ാ㰊楴汴㹥䉂⁃‭慌杮慵敧⁳‭敌牡灓湡獩⁨‭牃獯睳牯獤ⴠ圠湩整⁲灓牯獴⼼楴汴㹥਍਍洼瑥⁡慮敭∽敤捳楲瑰潩≮挠湯整瑮∽敌牡灓湡獩⁨楷桴琠敨䈠䍂‮慈敶愠琠獡整⁲楷桴漠牵朠浡獥‬瑳牡⁴灵眠瑩⁨畯⁲敢楧湮牥❳挠畯獲獥漠⁲牢獵⁨灵眠瑩⁨畯⁲湩整浲摥慩整愠摵潩洠条穡湩⹥夠畯挠湡愠獬档捥潹牵氠癥汥‬敧⁴摡楶散‬慨敶礠畯⁲慳⁹湡⁤桳牡⁥潹牵猠潴楲獥∮⼠ാഊ㰊敭慴渠浡㵥欢祥潷摲≳挠湯整瑮∽灓湡獩ⱨ氠湡畧条⁥敬牡楮杮‬慬杮慵敧氠獥潳Ɱ愠畤瑬攠畤慣楴湯‬敳晬猭畴祤‬慬杮慵敧挠畯獲獥‬湯楬敮挠畯獲獥‬慬杮慵敧爠獥畯捲獥‬慬杮慵敧氠獩楴杮ⱳ戠来湩敮獲挠畯獲ⱥ戠来湩敮獲‬湩整浲摥慩整‬楶敤Ɐ愠摵潩•㸯਍਍洼瑥⁡慮敭∽潲潢獴•潣瑮湥㵴椢摮硥昬汯潬≷⼠ാ㰊敭慴渠浡㵥挢敲瑡摥•潣瑮湥㵴㈢〰〷〳∱⼠ാ㰊敭慴栠瑴⵰煥極㵶䌢湯整瑮吭灹≥挠湯整瑮∽整瑸栯浴㭬挠慨獲瑥唽䙔
琠灹㵥琢硥⽴慪慶捳楲瑰㸢㰊
war this cryhead

Re: DFWC2013 Greater Efforts

Postby esc?nebuLa » Sep 4th, '13, 11:23 am

I'll add to this.

I'd really like to see a DFWC where there aren't any hidden routes in which only a select group of people know about, or secrets that require you to open radiant to reveal. I'm unsure whether it ultimately came down to the map testers, or bad communication with mappers, etc. Here are some clear examples from the most recent cup.

DFWC2012-0 - The unclipped rocks at the end were probably an honest mistake, but should have been patched before the final release.

DFWC2012-1 - Now, this map I did not notice any intentional or unintentional advantageous flaws. I can't recall if the end trigger could have been bypassed from the top without dying, but other than that, really solid map.

DFWC2012-2 - Same story with 1.

DFWC2012-3 - Trigger protection failure. This is the one that hurt me the most, because I would have placed first without the trigger skip.

DFWC2012-4 - Intentionally placed hook, however it was a relief to see that Golem performed the hardest shortcut and won in the end. (I overheard a discussion where zerg was going to block the plasma-rl shortcut from being possible, but I'm kind of glad he didn't, due to the end result.) I still like the routes this map creates with hook (HOX and Nightmare), however it was kind of silly to include it for a major competition like DFWC.

DFWC2012-5 - The beginning cpm battlesuit kill trigger skip was perhaps an honest mistake, but who knows. The second cpm shortcut utilizing the megahealth wall with bfg was a clever skip and probably unintentional. There was also a very hard bfg end shortcut using 3 shots directly to the finish, but I can't remember if a player could survive with enough health to make it through the hurt trigger and ample speed to strafe to end. The map was unique in that it provided demos with battlesuit and non-battlesuit routes.

DFWC2012-6 - Keeping plasma through bypassing a remove-guns function using only the right side of one teleporter was obviously intentional. If it wasn't, then I'm surprised. May have been a fluke when it was discovered, but again, who knows. Being the final map of the cup, it was a disappointment to see it being abused.

I don't necessarily blame the runners who abused the shortcuts/exploits, because that's what would give them the time advantage. I would be concerned with the mappers and testers who would include subtle secrets on purpose to provide a clan/country dominance in the dfwc tables.

It's just that runners who excel and place highly in competitions should not be doing so due to a mapper's mistake, but rather clever methods of utilizing map architecture, weapons, and strafing. All this should be happening within the parameters of an ideal unflawed map. The main problem is that these flaws were allowed to make it into the final release of the maps.

Hopefully in future DFWCs, there will be strict map testing/verification and clear communication between the organization and mappers/testers.

P.S. - I am also aware that quake 3 is built around unintended "bugs" and "flaws" and without them, defrag would not be as unique and exciting as it is.
https://www.facebook.com/TeamEventHorizon
#tricking_eh on irc.quakenet.org
esc?nebuLa

Postby dqopb » Sep 5th, '13, 4:12 pm

Nebula, I feel like you read my mind and translated my thoughts about the maps to perfect English :clap:

What about
esc?nebuLa wrote:DFWC2012-5 - The beginning cpm battlesuit kill trigger skip
, kop4ik said at defrag.ru that he really didn't expect anybody to avoid that trigger. Like, he was surprised seeing cpm'ers doing that.

esc?nebuLa wrote:cpm shortcut utilizing the megahealth wall with bfg
This shortcut is possible in vq3 too, but it is much harder there. Demon0r and youtoon! did it in vq3.
dqopb

Postby wubwub » Sep 5th, '13, 8:16 pm

esc?nebuLa wrote:DFWC2012-1 - Now, this map I did not notice any intentional or unintentional advantageous flaws. I can't recall if the end trigger could have been bypassed from the top without dying, but other than that, really solid map.

t-thanks
wubwub

Postby esc?nebuLa » Sep 6th, '13, 10:01 pm

dqopb wrote:Nebula, I feel like you read my mind and translated my thoughts about the maps to perfect English :clap:

What about
esc?nebuLa wrote:DFWC2012-5 - The beginning cpm battlesuit kill trigger skip
, kop4ik said at defrag.ru that he really didn't expect anybody to avoid that trigger. Like, he was surprised seeing cpm'ers doing that.

esc?nebuLa wrote:cpm shortcut utilizing the megahealth wall with bfg
This shortcut is possible in vq3 too, but it is much harder there. Demon0r and youtoon! did it in vq3.

Ah, thanks for pointing that out! Any other corrections, feel free to throw out there.
https://www.facebook.com/TeamEventHorizon
#tricking_eh on irc.quakenet.org
esc?nebuLa