Board index DeFRaG Competitions DFWC 2013

General Organisation

Canceled due to lack of maps

General Organisation

Postby <hk> » Dec 9th, '12, 4:27 am

The DFWC 2013 will be more transparent. However this thread is heavily moderated.

In my opinion the DFWC should still have 6 rounds with 1 map each. One round should last 1 Week and start on Saturday 19:00 GMT. That way everybody around the world can see the end/beginning of the round in the evening or morning when there is free time in general.

The 6 maps should be:
  • Round 1: [easy] Strafe map. No teleporters or bounces.
  • Round 2: [easy/medium] Maybe an ACC map?
  • Round 3: [medium] Plasma or Rocket
  • Round 4: [medium/hard] Rocket/Plasma Combo run
  • Round 5: [hard] Combo run with various weapons
  • Round 6: [hard] Combo run with various weapons

The website was pretty good in 2012. I think we can keep it and improve on it.

In case you want to help out, we need people for the following.
Validators ( cannot validate their own demos )
Map testers for both physics ( cannot participate in the DFWC )

[list to be extended]
Please discuss.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Re: General Organisation

Postby TittenIgnition » Dec 9th, '12, 5:38 am

Acc maps somewhat defeat the purpose of Defrag; they're not as much about movement as aiming. -1 for acc in DFWC.
wtf i have a signature?
TittenIgnition

Postby /cdtu/xas » Dec 9th, '12, 8:20 am

i think round 0 + 6 rounds like this dfwc should be good already.
round 0 - qualification round, whether strafe or combo map it should be (very) easy, anyone finishes and upload legit demo for this round is actually signed up for dfwc
also recommend not long but a bit tricky map for round 5, and large scale map with many possible routes for final round(2012-6 map is very nice).
/cdtu/xas

Postby Le another black niger » Dec 9th, '12, 9:03 am

TittenIgnition wrote:Acc maps somewhat defeat the purpose of Defrag; they're not as much about movement as aiming.

movement is about aiming basically (& some obvious keypresses.)
shoot rocket precisely + continue strafes = shoot target + continue strafes
Le another black niger

Postby [fps]Mntr » Dec 9th, '12, 10:00 am

what about ranking system? I think the point system is fine, but requires a bit optimization since rank 1 and rank 4 differences is a bit ridiculous.
[fps]Mntr

Postby BerserK » Dec 9th, '12, 10:40 am

IMHO defining the map components now isn't good. Map with teleports, weapons, obs can be much easier than without it and with some random gameplay. Easy -> medium -> hard is all what you need to know and have good testers which will tell you the right map order. Only one strafe map without teleporters and bounces? Kinda not enough. Don't you want all rounded winners? Dex is for sure as we all know, but there are few strafe monsters out there. We have/had nice hard (to finish fast) combo/weapon maps this year. But I want to vote for map alike pdm3-imoor or benzrun with teleports. Everybody can finish those maps, but difference is only in how fast you can finish. So mappers do your best :P.

The point system needs to be different and new point system for teams for sure.

Round elimination should be in next dfwc too.

Take as testers Shio and FM. They will never play dfwc as I know.
"Everyone cares about allowed scripts and huds, lol, care about skills." © P.J.RiPPeR
BerserK

Postby demon0r » Dec 9th, '12, 11:49 am

<hk> wrote:In my opinion the DFWC should still have 6 rounds with 1 map each. One round should last 1 Week and start on Saturday 19:00 GMT. That way everybody around the world can see the end/beginning of the round in the evening or morning when there is free time in general.

Ye, that's probably optimal.

<hk> wrote:The 6 maps should be:
  • Round 1: [easy] Strafe map. No teleporters or bounces.
  • Round 2: [easy/medium] Maybe an ACC map?
  • Round 3: [medium] Plasma or Rocket
  • Round 4: [medium/hard] Rocket/Plasma Combo run
  • Round 5: [hard] Combo run with various weapons
  • Round 6: [hard] Combo run with various weapons

Well, I'd say - give mappers a chance. If there will be like grenade only or plasma only gem there, we definetely shouldn't reject it :P And I agree about maps order. First round should be easy and difficulty has to increase. And I'd probably add one more round with strafe map in the middle of the competition (or even closer to the end, so the map could be medium/hard). And one more thing - if there's no intentional overbounces on the map, round's page should suggest setting df_ob_killobs to 1 to avoid unnecessary random ob accusations ;)

<hk> wrote:The website was pretty good in 2012. I think we can keep it and improve on it.

Ye website was very nice. But there should be one improvement - 'moderated comments section' in each round's page. What do I mean by that? Suppose somebody has important question about map bug or whatever. He sends this question through this comment thingy and admin can response to it, giving his answer and adding it to the round's page. Or something like that. You shouldn't leave comments section completely open, because people will discuss routes, and this will be no good I think ;)

<hk> wrote:In case you want to help out, we need people for the following.
Validators ( cannot validate their own demos )
Map testers for both physics ( cannot participate in the DFWC )

Well, as I've mentioned - sign me in for all of these things :P I can play in both physics and I can be 'the first line' of demos validator
demon0r

Postby Arcaon » Dec 9th, '12, 1:15 pm

[fps]Mntr wrote:what about ranking system? I think the point system is fine, but requires a bit optimization since rank 1 and rank 4 differences is a bit ridiculous.

Point system:
The point system still has produced accurate results, but in retrospect, later rounds should give more points. I've suggested a <round number> multiplier to the formula, to make DFWC more exciting and intense to play and spectate. Or even a (1.5^round) multiplier.

However, now that there's more time (or interest, apparently) for this discussion, maybe a more advanced system (like ELO) would be in place.

Mapping rules:
Start timers must have the "wait -1" variable.

Mapping guidelines:
Clips should be used sparingly.
Terrain is allowed, but should be used cautiously to avoid exploitative and unpredictable behavior.
Clips and triggers should not be designed from a "I hope this will be enough" perspective; be aware of any possible exploits.
PROTIP: Make a checklist (clips, triggers, checkpoints) to be shown to mappers and map testers.

Administration:
There should be at least three map testers, with at least two per physic. Map testers should be able to scan .map files for exploits that aren't deemed appropriate for DFWC (secret weapons, sloppy clipping, avoidable triggers).
Demo validation should not concern worthless random obs or "timescale reported" messages.
Have comment sections on the round pages.

Rules:
Rule 12a should be removed: "It is not allowed to reset the defrag timer after it started. (no timer reset)"
Arcaon

Postby demon0r » Dec 9th, '12, 8:37 pm

Man... Maps testers really have to get .map files this time. We should really avoid getting shitty, cheap russian routes like in dfwc2012-6.
demon0r

Postby BerserK » Dec 9th, '12, 8:55 pm

A will set it to the right way:
demon0r wrote:We should really avoid getting shitty, cheap russian routes like in DFWC 2012.
:)
"Everyone cares about allowed scripts and huds, lol, care about skills." © P.J.RiPPeR
BerserK

Next