Board index mDd Board Complaints and Suggestions

Lets make Defrag great again!

Did you find a Bug or have an Idea? This is the place to go to.

Re: Lets make Defrag great again!

Postby esc?nebuLa » Feb 3rd, '17, 12:29 am

Yotoon - You have my full support :dance: ...and my axe. (LOTR reference for those who don't know.) :lol:
Last edited by esc?nebuLa on Feb 3rd, '17, 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.facebook.com/TeamEventHorizon
#tricking_eh on irc.quakenet.org
esc?nebuLa

Postby XPC32 » Feb 3rd, '17, 12:51 am

Congratulations Yotoon and good luck!

Also thank you once again mdd team for allowing/supporting yotoon in going ahead, willing to give more people access to existing record system to fix bugs, and open sourcing the hopefully to-be new record system.

Hoping these new events lead to a better defrag website, and record system. On that regards, is there someone experienced in C++ willing to work on the new record system?
bewarned ! i am a noob !
XPC32

Postby -w00dy- » Feb 3rd, '17, 8:09 am

Good luck YoToon! I hope you will do it, and as said chicken together we can give a defrag of fresh air!
And I'm also ready to support any organizational issues!
Last edited by -w00dy- on Feb 3rd, '17, 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
-w00dy-

Postby chicken » Feb 3rd, '17, 8:40 am

https://github.com/q3df/recordsystem2

i have copied a version to github so everyone can contribute more infos following...
chicken
Site Admin

Postby [DF]yotoon » Feb 3rd, '17, 9:26 am

That's awesome. Thank you! I'm not a C developer but I hope other people will contribute too. :)

I will e-mail you today, I have a bunch of questions.
[DF]yotoon

Postby j4n » Feb 3rd, '17, 11:22 am

I fully support the idea of any innovations in our game and community, and especially of such global stuff! :clap:
I am very glad that in our community there are still people who care about the fate of our little world, and I hope that HK, CHICKEN, NIGHTMARE will treat with understanding to the yotoon's suggestions, and allow him to realize his plan. :pray:
Also I hope that there will be people willing and able to help him in all of these upcoming develop and code works. :drool:
I do not know anything in any web development, or c/c++, but you can expect on my any other moderation/organization help if it will be needed. :whistle:

P.S.: Lets make Defrag great again! :dance:
j4n

Postby Takyon » Feb 3rd, '17, 12:46 pm

Great initiative! :clap:

A suggestion I have is to store demos of runs at the leaderboard servers.

Given that there are botted runs in the leaderboards today, the "demo or didn't happen"-rule is pretty much already in effect.

If we decide to ban something again, like "random"-OB:s for instance, then process of leaderboard cleanup becomes a lot easier if we have access to all of the demos. Some excellent maps have effectively been killed because of unreported use of wallbug in rank 1 runs made prior to the wallbug-ban, and we can't verify this without the demos.

I know that a manual cheat detection system like this isn't an ideal solution because of extra server storage requirements etc., but solutions like automatic real-time server-side cheat detection is evidently not enough.

A system like this would also require active admins, which probably is the biggest issue in df today.
Takyon

Postby lith » Feb 3rd, '17, 2:02 pm

Takyon wrote:Great initiative! :clap:

A suggestion I have is to store demos of runs at the leaderboard servers.

Given that there are botted runs in the leaderboards today, the "demo or didn't happen"-rule is pretty much already in effect.

If we decide to ban something again, like "random"-OB:s for instance, then process of leaderboard cleanup becomes a lot easier if we have access to all of the demos. Some excellent maps have effectively been killed because of unreported use of wallbug in rank 1 runs made prior to the wallbug-ban, and we can't verify this without the demos.

I know that a manual cheat detection system like this isn't an ideal solution because of extra server storage requirements etc., but solutions like automatic real-time server-side cheat detection is evidently not enough.

A system like this would also require active admins, which probably is the biggest issue in df today.

That was something we brainstormed a year ago, mucki brought it up and it would be great to have for sure.

I do wonder what will happen if we have a new record system though, will the whole database reset and make the current top another oldtop or what? :)
-l1th-
lith

Postby Takyon » Feb 3rd, '17, 2:37 pm

lith wrote:That was something we brainstormed a year ago, mucki brought it up and it would be great to have for sure.

I do wonder what will happen if we have a new record system though, will the whole database reset and make the current top another oldtop or what? :)

My guess is that we would have to live with keeping all of the potentially invalid runs made prior to the change. Otherwise a ton of valid runs that people has spent a lot of time perfecting would be removed.

Another option could be to add all of the current runs to an old leaderboard as you said, but allow these runs to be moved to the new leaderboard if the runner can supply demo for the run. This is probably the option I would prefer.
Takyon

Postby <hk> » Feb 3rd, '17, 3:03 pm

Gameserver: Server you are playing on.
Homeland: Server that keeps the record database

defrag doesn't change at all. All "old" records are just as valid as those set with a new system. No need for a reset.

The main difference between the old and the new system is that the new one is written in C++ and does as much as possible on the homeland-server.
Right now when you call !top the game server connects to the homeland and asks the database for info. It gets the data, computes ranks, diffs and colors - then prints it.
The new system just forwards the text send by the player to the homeland. Homeland does all the computation and formatting. It only sends the lines the Gameserver has to print back to the server.
That way you can update all servers at once when there is a bug or security issue.
We do as much as possible on homeland.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

PreviousNext