Board index mDd Board Complaints and Suggestions

Lets make Defrag great again!

Did you find a Bug or have an Idea? This is the place to go to.

Lets make Defrag great again!

Postby [DF]yotoon » Feb 2nd, '17, 3:28 pm

Hello community,

As you know, the q3df.org community is slowly dying due to the lack of leader/administrator. All requests are being ignored, no information is provided about any defrag related events and it has been like that for months (years?).

I think the only way to change the situation is to have new staff that will push the online community forward OR make an alternative/competitor from scratch.

My ideas are:
- Buy out q3df (domains, database, server code) from HK and invite other players to help out with the website/moderation/development.
- Persuade HK to allow full access to q3df for other trusted players.
- Start a competitor/alternative like q3defrag.com with all people that are willing to help. I can buy the domain and create a website with the database for us and manage the servers but I don't know any C/C++ so I can't do any of defrag server code development.

Please share your thoughts and ideas.

Cheers,
yotoon!
[DF]yotoon

Re: Lets make Defrag great again!

Postby XPC32 » Feb 2nd, '17, 4:19 pm

[DF]yotoon wrote:- Start a competitor/alternative like q3defrag.com with all people that are willing to help.

I have quite a lot of fond memories in q3df servers, and IMO would like to avoid an alternative/competitor built from scratch.

[DF]yotoon wrote:Buy out q3df (domains, database, server code) from HK and invite other players to help out with the website/moderation/development.

As for buying out q3df, I don't think it is just <hk> that has ownership, so you would also have to talk with other authors such as chicken/nightmare before being able to buy it.

[DF]yotoon wrote:Persuade HK to allow full access to q3df for other trusted players.

This, I feel is the best way to move forward. In fact, it is not that <hk> et al are fully opposed to this idea. Rather they are quite open to it. In fact, I recall asking <hk> to give access to the code to some of our able and trusted members, and he said he will ask nightmare and let it be done. However, I guess both of us had forgotten over time and nothing has been done so far. Though, I am sure if we remind him enough this time, it will definitely be possible for us to have more active developers and contributions blooming within this community.

tldr; Let us try to advance first by, talking to <hk> et al and requesting access. There is a good possibility they will let it happen.
bewarned ! i am a noob !
XPC32

Postby [DF]yotoon » Feb 2nd, '17, 4:33 pm

I am good with code access but not how it is now.
Anyone that has access to q3df GIT/SVN can make changes but those changes need to be checked by HK/chicken every time and that can take weeks/months. This scenario is good when the admins are active.
I don't want to contribute my free time and hard work and not get approved OR approved in 2 months.

I can make q3df website awesome but i need some freedom. I am willing to do everything from scratch and I mean everything (graphics/html/css/js/php/mysql etc.) but i need to be certain there is a will to accept my work in production. There needs to be a dialogue between the staff and the people that want to help. I hope HK will arise from the dead and that we can work something out.
[DF]yotoon

Postby XPC32 » Feb 2nd, '17, 4:54 pm

[DF]yotoon wrote:I hope HK will arise from the dead and that we can work something out.

I hope so too, and am very positive that something will be worked out of this soon... In fact, since the common goal of both the staff and those willing to contribute is to enhance the experience for the community. I wonder if the staff are open to a scheme as follows:

- Contributors are given full commit access but,
- Contributors must only push major changes, after they have provided a proposal of changes to the community and it passes by a majority vote.

The pros of such a scheme include:
- Transparency to community, showing an active communication with the community (something that wasn't fully there over past few years).
- Bypasses the need to wait for staff to approve a commit.
bewarned ! i am a noob !
XPC32

Postby -w00dy- » Feb 2nd, '17, 5:26 pm

Hello everybody. I definitely support this theme and have willing to help. I think I'm not the only one who wants to changes for the better. To promote and increase the number and quality of our community. I fully agree with both hands.
Last edited by -w00dy- on Feb 2nd, '17, 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-w00dy-

Postby Lame » Feb 2nd, '17, 5:29 pm

Making seperate project to q3df is bad idea, because am sure we want to avoid dividing community which is small already. I would change the character of topic to make an candidate for admin here to get some fresh air to this place. Many times yotoon! metioned about ideas that could bring the light to this dark place, but the problem was propably with lack of official support from community. I think it's a good time to appreciate yotoons willingness to help this project move forward a bit.

I think everybody that agree with me should 'sign in' in that topic and then we will see what happen. (offline players we also counting on you)
Lame

Postby Le another black niger » Feb 2nd, '17, 5:46 pm

Brotoon for president :romance-grouphug: :text-blondmoment: :text-worthless:
Le another black niger

Postby XPC32 » Feb 2nd, '17, 5:52 pm

Le another black niger wrote:Brotoon for president :romance-grouphug: :text-blondmoment: :text-worthless:

He can't be president till he pulls a Trump and talks about banning some people in his campaign :lol:
bewarned ! i am a noob !
XPC32

Postby Timothy » Feb 2nd, '17, 6:28 pm

[DF]yotoon wrote:OR make an alternative/competitor from scratch.

But who was q3+
Timothy

Postby chopin » Feb 2nd, '17, 6:28 pm

let's go yotoon, great idea!
chopin

Next