Board index mDd Board Complaints and Suggestions

wall bug

Did you find a Bug or have an Idea? This is the place to go to.

wall bug

Postby DF/// ifoo » Oct 15th, '11, 1:42 pm

how about banning that (new) wallbug? i think its destroying the game a bit since you can do it in nearly every corner. people start losing interest in playing certain maps or defrag in general since some random guy connects and owns one's time by 2 or whatever seconds in a fraction of the time you've played that map. and some people are actively abusing it ...

(ps: i'm not talking about me here, since i am currently playing much more defrag than ~3 months ago.)
DF/// ifoo

Re: wall bug

Postby RetroHelix » Oct 15th, '11, 1:48 pm

Show me new wallbug pls
RetroHelix

Postby wubwub » Oct 15th, '11, 2:27 pm

RetroHelix wrote:Show me new wallbug pls

:roll:
wubwub

Postby $$-albion » Oct 15th, '11, 3:03 pm

Is it even detectable without plainly looking at the demo? Don't think anyone would like to view every demo to ban the "offendors" :p
$$-albion

Postby <)Ghost(> » Oct 15th, '11, 3:27 pm

mappers should be aware of this wallbug, and do whatever to prevent it, just like tr.
<)Ghost(>

Postby TittenIgnition » Oct 15th, '11, 3:35 pm

<)Ghost(> wrote:mappers should be aware of this wallbug, and do whatever to prevent it, just like tr.

However, unlike this, TR can be considered an art, and this has been discussed before. It can be made to be very stylish and entertaining to watch, along with challenging to execute properly. The wallbug is just a fugly bug that lets you build up theoretically infinite speed, anywhere.
wtf i have a signature?
TittenIgnition

Postby esc?nebuLa » Oct 16th, '11, 3:36 am

Same one on sjt2 probably, getting stuck in the map brushes. Either way, just another reason online times aren't all as great as they seem.
https://www.facebook.com/TeamEventHorizon
#tricking_eh on irc.quakenet.org
esc?nebuLa

Postby Timothy » Oct 16th, '11, 1:23 pm

Just ban Paul, problem solved.

No but seriously, it's a shame this bug is ruining one of the greatest games ever, but I don't see how you could ban this without looking at every single demo. :think:
Timothy

Postby DF/// ifoo » Oct 16th, '11, 2:33 pm

usf wrote:... but I don't see how you could ban this without looking at every single demo. :think:

me neither, i guess the only hope is to fix it in the defrag source. which is rather unlikely since cgg disappeared...at least i havent seen a sign of him for more than a year.

but mdd staff could set up a rule for the wallbug. im aware that you cant check every demo and i dont think this check can be automated (correct me if im wrong), but times where its more than obvious could be reported at least ...
DF/// ifoo

Postby <hk> » Oct 16th, '11, 2:58 pm

The problem is, It's not cheat. You don't have to modify your engine or anything. It's also not the mappers fault because it's possible to abuse this bug on almost every wall.
This bug is not much different from Timer Resetting or Ground Boosting. What stands out is it's incredible lameness. I thought people would realise they are dicks when they use it.

CPM is broken beyond repair for some years now(since GB abuse is common practice), so let's just look at VQ3:
The only way to abuse this is _before_ the timer. It takes ages to build up speed and you can't hold the speed through corners. Maps that have a corner before the start timer and offer a long strait strafe. Sounds rare enough to me.

The bug itself can be detected very easily. Just check for speed without the player actually moving. It even can be done live on the servers.
abuse -> kill
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Next