Board index mDd Board Complaints and Suggestions

Talk to servers

Did you find a Bug or have an Idea? This is the place to go to.

Talk to servers

Postby TittenIgnition » Oct 10th, '11, 2:09 am

Add some feature to say something to the server from inside a browser.

Whatever the rules, it would be cool if you could message a whole server, or a specific player, and tell them something.

Example: "YO NICKUH, GET ON MSN I HAZ SUMMIN' TO TELL YOU" or "CHECK THE PINBOARD LULUL LUCI IS TEH FUNNEH".

There could be any number of implementations to block people from spamming the players, whatever they may be. It seems like it would be pretty useful, though somewhat abusable as well.

Or, it could go full-chat and there could be some way to reply, and a nice big chat interface on the site.

!reply, maybe? :O
wtf i have a signature?
TittenIgnition

Re: Talk to servers

Postby <hk> » Oct 10th, '11, 1:21 pm

funny, we dug that old idea up just a week ago. We dismissed it pretty quickly due to the enourmous abuse potential.
The problem is not sending text messages to the server. The problem is getting answers back. It might be cool though to have a chat stream from each server displayed on the website.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby $$-albion » Oct 10th, '11, 5:07 pm

How about chatting between servers? Or do the same problems occur there?
$$-albion

Postby <hk> » Oct 10th, '11, 5:15 pm

Between servers the problems are even worse.
Some are down and some are up. Servers don't know how many others there are. The best way to solve this would be to stream the chat stuff to a central server and distribute from there.
Most online games do it that way.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby $$-albion » Oct 10th, '11, 6:14 pm

<hk> wrote:Between servers the problems are even worse.
Some are down and some are up. Servers don't know how many others there are. The best way to solve this would be to stream the chat stuff to a central server and distribute from there.
Most online games do it that way.

Would everything flow together in 1 chatbox then? If so, wouldn't you need a load of filter options if, for example, you want to chat with a certain person on another server? As in filtering out text from ppl(people) you don't want to chat with in particular, but are still on the same server as the one you want to chat with.
$$-albion

Postby RetroHelix » Oct 11th, '11, 7:32 am

Although all this sounds nice would you really use it? If you are on a server you can already chat with the other guys there and if you want to chat with someone else from another server you have an IM-client of some kind or IRC running besides quake. If you aren't on a server you still have the second option. And if you really want to write something to all people on the servers it would be some bullshit talk.
RetroHelix

Postby TittenIgnition » Oct 11th, '11, 4:10 pm

RetroHelix wrote:Although all this sounds nice would you really use it? If you are on a server you can already chat with the other guys there and if you want to chat with someone else from another server you have an IM-client of some kind or IRC running besides quake. If you aren't on a server you still have the second option. And if you really want to write something to all people on the servers it would be some bullshit talk.

Well in my example, I said that you could tell someone to check their IMs or something. Say my friend is in a server, and I wanna talk to him on MSN, but because he's ingame, he doesn't see the IMs or anything. So I send him a quick PM, and now he knows.

It's a pretty lame example, but there are other uses as well. I just can't ever think of them.
wtf i have a signature?
TittenIgnition

Postby <hk> » Oct 11th, '11, 5:08 pm

how about a new command?

Code: Select all
!broadcast bla bla

Implementing it is rather annoying, because we have to write a chatserver. Other things are more important.
I'll put it on the TODO-list
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby $$-albion » Oct 11th, '11, 6:57 pm

<hk> wrote:how about a new command?

Code: Select all
!broadcast bla bla

Implementing it is rather annoying, because we have to write a chatserver. Other things are more important.
I'll put it on the TODO-list

Naajs :D What else is on this mysterious TODO-list? :O
$$-albion

Postby <hk> » Oct 11th, '11, 8:57 pm

Mostly website and server performance related stuff.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Next