Board index mDd Board Complaints and Suggestions

Defrag wish list

Did you find a Bug or have an Idea? This is the place to go to.

Defrag wish list

Postby Pan has a lot blanks in his nickname » Aug 17th, '11, 2:30 am

My wish list for Defrag:
  • Standalone version (All-in-one installation)
  • Single player campaign or missions
  • Tutorials you can play with all the gameplay methods and physic tricks
  • New guns and items like the portal gun, team arena guns
  • High resolution content (there is for textures but not models...)
    44 khz stereo sound
  • More custom huds
  • No pk3 or player model limit, no need to repack pk3 files,
    a game that just loads required pk3 files
  • Chat icons like smilies
  • An easy way to access or connect a Voice over IP client via or to Defrag
  • Online encyclopedia
  • Official Defrag icon and mascot
  • An extra map folder where you place the pk3 files
  • Mutiple physics on one server, cpm and vq3 players can play together (markys idea)
  • An all-seeing-eye command/bind, no more decompiling of maps required, i.e. while active shows in-game: ammo of weapons, highlights triggers, doors and buttons, hides fog, jumppad travel distance, amount a trigger_hurt is damaging, ...
  • Vq4 physic and/or holdable crouch slide, ramping, double jump and air control items
  • Country flags in the scoreboard of the current player location
  • TV spectator mode that automatically switch to another player on disconnect
  • Server history for the server browser
  • Hats
Last edited by Pan has a lot blanks in his nickname on Oct 11th, '14, 4:52 am, edited 10 times in total.
Pan has a lot blanks in his nickname

Re: Defrag

Postby TittenIgnition » Aug 17th, '11, 4:36 am

Horrible, horrible poster.

I rate this 3/10.
wtf i have a signature?
TittenIgnition

Postby Cyberstorm » Aug 17th, '11, 4:48 am

I would love to see the ability to spawn certain brushes based on the physics mode.
Cyberstorm

Postby <)Ghost(> » Aug 17th, '11, 6:16 am

most of that is possible with dfengine
<)Ghost(>

Postby <hk> » Aug 17th, '11, 9:02 am

Pan wrote:My wish list for Defrag:
- Standalone version

What is a stand alone version exactly? In terms of IOquake3 it's a VM compiled into the engine binary. I don't see the advantages over VMs.

Pan wrote:- Tutorials you can play with all the gameplay methods and physic tricks
- New guns and items like the portal gun, team arena guns

For tutorials you need official tutorial maps. Since you put so much effor into your mapping tutorials, why don't you give it a go and let people join in?
New items are discussed for a long time now. I see no reason for new items.

Pan wrote:- High resolution contet (there is for textures but not models...) 44 khz stereo sound
- More custom huds

Several thousand man-hours of work are required just to port pak0.pk3. I don't think anyone is willing to do it in his spare time. However, there are high resolution texture packs out there and mappers already use them.
Anyone can make their custom huds. I don't think they every tried to submit them back to cgg. Useless feature, though.

Pan(G) wrote:- Online encyclopedia
- Official Defrag icon and mascot
- Single player campaign or missions

What would the wiki be used for? It'll probably abandoned half finished after a month or so. Nobody uses wikis.
The bunny is fine. Is there a mascot in q3run?
Someone has to write a story for a campain. I can't think of one that would fit. Also this is not Diablo2.

Pan(G) wrote:- An easy way to access or connect a Voice over IP client via or to Defrag
- An extra map folder where you place the pk3 files
- No pk3 or player model limit, no need to repack pk3 files, a game that just loads required pk3 files
- Chat icons like smilies

So this is what the Standalone Version is for. I see.
VoIP is availible in ioquake3 already. They even store it in demos.
Better PK3 parsing and sorting features are a problem limited to defrag. Usually mods don't have to deal with this kind of map output. That's why the ioquake3 dudes don't want to put any effort into solving these issues. Nice to have but not worth the 'stand alone'-effort. Just use ioquake3 or dfengine.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby Pan has a lot blanks in his nickname » Aug 17th, '11, 10:41 am

With tutorials i imagine a tutor voice teaching you while doing it.
Something that tells you easily maybe ingame that this game server has VoIP support is what i mean with connecting VoIP.
Sure this is a lot work but that's my wish list.
About the Defrag icon, it isn't the official icon. I just use it because there is none and i don't rememeber its source.
Pan has a lot blanks in his nickname

Postby <hk> » Aug 17th, '11, 11:09 am

Pan has a lot blanks in his nickname wrote:With tutorials i imagine a tutor voice teaching you while doing it.
Something that tells you easily maybe ingame that this game server has VoIP support is what i mean with connecting VoIP.
Sure this is a lot work but that's my wish list.
About the Defrag icon, it isn't the official icon. I just use it because there is none and i don't rememeber its source.

The mapper has to place triggers for sounds then. Most games do it that way. Press a button to listen to the voice again. Everything else is an engine thing.
However, defrag should be able to play back a ghost showing you how it's done. It could automatically activate the 1st person miniview, too. Cgg/marky has to do this.

We could put a reminder for the VoIP support in some kind of "message of the day". A server thing.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Re: Defrag wish list

Postby MidiMightyMoe » Aug 17th, '11, 9:33 pm

I think he meant standalone version with a GPU (or something like that, i don't know s*** about free licence) pak0. You DL one installer/archive for free, you play defrag. It could be delivered with dfengine/ioquake3, but there is definitely something to do with the pak0 and his GPU alternatives.
MidiMightyMoe

Postby oranje » Aug 17th, '11, 10:07 pm

<hk> wrote:
Pan wrote:- Tutorials you can play with all the gameplay methods and physic tricks
- New guns and items like the portal gun, team arena guns

For tutorials you need official tutorial maps. Since you put so much effor into your mapping tutorials, why don't you give it a go and let people join in?
New items are discussed for a long time now. I see no reason for new items.

I like the tutorials idea and am willing to put some work into it. Nexuiz has a similar thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESt4rqG-BUQ

Also regarding new weapons: I think that change is a good thing. We keep adding new entities and functions, finding new ways to trick, I don't see why defrag can't just keep growing. We all do.
oranje

Re: Defrag wish list

Postby <hk> » Aug 18th, '11, 12:40 am

Well, I changed my mind.
New items are OK, as long as old maps are unaffected. This means no changes to the default weapon set on spawn. Breaking old maps is a no-go. It's annoying enough that the GroundBoost made so many CircleJump tricks pointless.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Next