Board index mDd Board Complaints and Suggestions

Suggestions for Future Defrag Releases

Did you find a Bug or have an Idea? This is the place to go to.

Re: Suggestions for Future Defrag Releases

Postby TittenIgnition » Jul 2nd, '11, 6:22 pm

<)Ghost(> wrote:integrating weapons from another game (even though its q3; same reason why there are no team arena maps) is going to be a big no because of licensing.

There are TA maps, they're just weird because they aren't standalone maps, like every other map ever.
oransje wrote:This reminds me of another idea I had: Interference channels. For those times you are trying to do a team trick on an fs server or a team run: you need the interference, but there are always other people who either get in your way or press the buttons. If you could select a channel, like a radio station, and then you would only have interference with those people on the same channel, client side doors would be open/closed the same for everyone in that channel etc.

This is brilliant. Pure brilliance. You could password-protect the channels (for obvious reasons), and maybe even have a channel nodrawradius, so you can make everyone outside of your channel invisible. Then cg_teamchatsonly would affect your channel, so you can only chat with the other person in your channel... Perfect multiplayer freestyle experience! Then all df would need is better netcode so you can simulate 0 ping without nasty side-effects ;)
wtf i have a signature?
TittenIgnition

Postby <)Ghost(> » Jul 2nd, '11, 7:40 pm

KittenIgnition wrote:This is brilliant. Pure brilliance. You could password-protect the channels (for obvious reasons), and maybe even have a channel nodrawradius, so you can make everyone outside of your channel invisible. Then cg_teamchatsonly would affect your channel, so you can only chat with the other person in your channel... Perfect multiplayer freestyle experience! Then all df would need is better netcode so you can simulate 0 ping without nasty side-effects ;)

indeed. pure brilliance.
<)Ghost(>

Postby TittenIgnition » Jul 2nd, '11, 10:03 pm

<)Ghost(> wrote:
KittenIgnition wrote:This is brilliant. Pure brilliance. You could password-protect the channels (for obvious reasons), and maybe even have a channel nodrawradius, so you can make everyone outside of your channel invisible. Then cg_teamchatsonly would affect your channel, so you can only chat with the other person in your channel... Perfect multiplayer freestyle experience! Then all df would need is better netcode so you can simulate 0 ping without nasty side-effects ;)

indeed. pure brilliance.

Pure brilliance, indeed.
wtf i have a signature?
TittenIgnition

Postby AL!EN » Jul 3rd, '11, 6:43 pm

Pls remove check for productid.txt in official DFEngine repository and change "white&black" surfaces when map missing some textures to be completely black. It will allow to use pak0.pk3 from Q3MIN and playing maps with missing textures would not be such painful experience for eyes.
"strafe is the most important 'weapon' in defrag" - <hk>
AL!EN

Postby TittenIgnition » Jul 3rd, '11, 9:04 pm

eS-AL|EN wrote:Pls remove check for productid.txt in official DFEngine repository and change "white&black" surfaces when map missing some textures to be completely black. It will allow to use pak0.pk3 from Q3MIN and playing maps with missing textures would not be such painful experience for eyes.

For the missing texture thing, you can just make an override. I was completely wrong, so don't listen to me. Ever again.
wtf i have a signature?
TittenIgnition

Postby c9.diz » Jul 4th, '11, 3:25 am

KittenIgnition wrote: don't listen to me. Ever again.

Sure.
c9.diz

Postby khetti » Jul 4th, '11, 5:04 am

Not sure what is meant by defrag-fragging. Sure, CPMA/QL physics are terrible, but DF is not the place to start if you want a worthwhile DM platform. Far too much time would have to be spent on very basic things, and in the end you'd have an even-more-exploitable OSP. Better make your own mod for this ;)

Unlagged physics, cpm&vq3 on one server, tag / hide&seek mode, are all good ideas.
More "party favor" modes would be welcome, the fun-over-competition aspect of DF is quite underutilized.

Unlagged physics are especially vital, a huge portion of maps are worthless in its absence.
On a related note, DF would be an ideal candidate for a DM-netcode testing toolbox:
- 125fps
- Tons of debugging info available onscreen
- People generally know how to move
- Players connect from different hemispheres
- Bots / Synchronized replays for repeatable & reliable tests? Oh yes!

;)

How about a map feature that kills anyone whos crosshair passes over it?
Could be used to limit which directions one could face, making strafing & weapon jumps a bit more challenging.

Mouse input could be enhanced quite a bit. The basic sens/accel implementation is far from optimal.
That is engine stuff, though, and could be an issue for df=q3 purists, for good reason.

There are several possible hud features that I think would be fun, simple things like marking where a rocket is going to hit and drawing its knockback radius. If you're ambitious, you could create visual representations of all aspects of weapon physics and even project the relevant ones onto the 3d world. Also, a visual aid for exploiting velocity snapping could be useful. There are lots of strafehud enhancements to think about :)

I'll post more when I think of them, if this is a serious thread and not another hopeless dumping ground for ideas, like the OPC thread turned out to be.
khetti

Postby TittenIgnition » Jul 4th, '11, 6:23 am

khetti wrote:Not sure what is meant by defrag-fragging. Sure, CPMA/QL physics are terrible, but DF is not the place to start if you want a worthwhile DM platform. Far too much time would have to be spent on very basic things, and in the end you'd have an even-more-exploitable OSP. Better make your own mod for this ;)

All fragging modes, but with df physics. It wouldn't be good at all for newcomers, but it would be fun to play some ffa in df.cpm. It's not meant to be a serious gametype; only runs are really meant to be "serious" in defrag.
wtf i have a signature?
TittenIgnition

Postby RetroHelix » Jul 4th, '11, 2:40 pm

khetti wrote:...if this is a serious thread and not another hopeless dumping ground for ideas, like the OPC thread turned out to be.

It most likely is the second one...

I would like to see a better "choose map"-menu with more infos and such but what Defrag really needs is unlagged physics imho.
RetroHelix

Postby TittenIgnition » Jul 4th, '11, 5:18 pm

RetroHelix wrote:I would like to see a better "choose map"-menu with more infos and such

Heh... That reminds me. The 1.92 voting box is damn sexy! xD
wtf i have a signature?
TittenIgnition

PreviousNext