Board index mDd Board Complaints and Suggestions

Suggestions for Future Defrag Releases

Did you find a Bug or have an Idea? This is the place to go to.

Suggestions for Future Defrag Releases

Postby oranje » Jul 1st, '11, 2:41 am

Marky told me to post these on cggdev but since it seems there are no active discussions there, I thought it would be better to have them organized here. Not sure this is in the right place since this is forum/server suggestions, but it's suggestions nevertheless.

So share your suggestions here. (:
oranje

Re: Suggestions for Future Defrag Releases

Postby oranje » Jul 1st, '11, 2:42 am

Serious suggestions:

- client side physics / mode

I know they have this in warsow where you can change back to the old physics. This would be nice if people want to play the same map but with different physics or mode for fc. The change should obviously take upon respawning, to prevent abuse. And it could say in the scoreboard the player's physics so that things do not become confusing.

- no sound radius

You can change the df_mp_nodrawradius in mp but you still hear sound. This can get quite annoying if 5 people are trying to grenade jump for instance, and you can't make out which sound is from your grenade.

- more df_chs#_info (chs3 chs4 etc)

I use these a lot, and I even have binds that rebind them. More would be nice.

- toggle teleport flash

I'm no epileptic, but sometimes those bright flashes really get to me.

- remove brackets in info

I've made a script in the past that places the player to where he is looking, though it wasn't exact because there is no separate info for x and y dist. If these brackets were removed from look pos (chsinfo(016)) then I'm sure that would be possible with just varjoin. Though I don't really know the reason behind why some info's have brackets on them...

- better demo support

It's really annoying how every key stops demos from playing. I accidentally open the console too early and the demo is stopped. CPMA has some nice demo support, bind that increase/decrease timescale (though I have my own in df) and the ability to view the scoreboard. I think you need to press escape twice for the demo to stop.
I'm loving these dmq_ commands, but one thing is that it doesn't wait for the maps to be downloaded, and it can't queue them. Quite a pain when I've downloaded a demo pack and I have to get the maps manually.

Less serious suggestions:

- Team Arena weapons / items?

I've read the discussion that defrag shouldn't be standalone because all runs doable in df should be doable in baseq3 but I think we're way past that now. Overbounces for instance. I would love to see defrag expanded far more than it is now: new weapons, new physics etc. I know it takes a lot of practice to be good at a certain weapon or movement, but I love the option of choice. There is so much more you can do with Proximity Mines and a Pogo Stick even?

- fragging?

Maybe make a fully suported mode 0 for fragging purposes? Then you could trick and frag in df physics at once. I know I really miss some gb and obs when I play cpma.

- TAG?!

I've had some fun, though not nearly enough, playing tag on fs servers. It would be amazing if there was a mode for this, and the IT would glow with quad or something :p

- cg_smokeradiusRL/GL

This command is in cpma, and I use 0, but on further consideration I guess I could just edit the textures and make a pk3. Putting this in here just in case.
oranje

Postby Cyberstorm » Jul 1st, '11, 2:57 am

Unlagged weapons! Should have been in defrag long ago. Without it playing weapon maps online is annoying especially the ones with GL.
Cyberstorm

Postby Arcaon » Jul 1st, '11, 4:23 am

My name is Arcaon and I approve of this message. Also:

• Checkpoint info

Code: Select all
     200 CH_INFO_TIME,            // defrag - elapsed time
     201 CH_INFO_BESTTIME,        // defrag - best time for map
     202 CH_INFO_TIMEDIFFERENCE,  // defrag - best time - elapsed time
     203 CH_INFO_CHECKPOINTS,     // defrag - all checkpoints
     204 CH_INFO_CHECKPOINT_LAST, // defrag - last checkpoint

/varcommand "say $chsinfo(203)" could yield
    Arcaon: -0:088 -0:136 -0:024 +0:064 +0:384

• Variable for hiding debug messages (a way cleaner console)

Gets rid of everything from "...loading 'scripts/arcaon.shader" to "stitched 0 LoD cracks".
Arcaon

Postby dS-kiddy » Jul 1st, '11, 3:36 pm

I know they have this in warsow where you can change back to the old physics. This would be nice if people want to play the same map but with different physics or mode for fc. The change should obviously take upon respawning, to prevent abuse. And it could say in the scoreboard the player's physics so that things do not become confusing.
he is looking, though it wasn't exact because there is no separate info for x and y dist. If these brackets were removed from look pos (chsinfo(016)) then I'm sure that would be possible with just varjoin. Though I don't really know the reason behind why some info's have brackets on them...

:clap: :dance:
dS-kiddy

Postby -MdC-uZuskaya » Jul 1st, '11, 7:25 pm

The "better demo support" point is imho engine related
As for the suppression of messages in the console, one can use dfengine and its regex filter cvars
-MdC-uZuskaya

Postby TittenIgnition » Jul 1st, '11, 8:08 pm

-MdC-uZuskaya wrote:As for the suppression of messages in the console, one can use dfengine and its regex filter cvars

But people don't want to have to use a special engine to be able to do these things. There was talk about making defrag engine-specific, but that was shot down immediately because so many people use ioq3.

Anyway, I completely agree with all these points (aside from Ta weapons; prox mine is the only one that would be useful at all, and it's kind of a stupid weapon, unless you use it to mine yourself to clear large gaps or something), and have run into problems with a few of them (chs# mostly). The only one that I don't run into problems with is the "any key stops demo" one, because it can be fixed by com_cameramode 1. It's stupid, but isn't really a problem. I do like that pretty much every other mod takes this into account, though, and turns it off so that com_cameramode is useless (and actually a liability because of thirdperson "bugs").

Tag and mode 0 are things that I've wanted for a LOOOONG time. I've talked with my friends about how awesome defrag dm would be, and the only reason they don't think it would be very special is because they don't know how to defrag at all. Playing df.cpm ca would be so entertaining, I don't even know where to begin. And I've tried to play tag in cpma, but that doesn't work very well on account of the mod not being accustomed to that kind of gametype (it's hard to configure the server settings to make it work). A tag mod would be a godsend.
wtf i have a signature?
TittenIgnition

Postby <)Ghost(> » Jul 1st, '11, 8:35 pm

integrating weapons from another game (even though its q3; same reason why there are no team arena maps) is going to be a big no because of licensing.
<)Ghost(>

Postby oranje » Jul 1st, '11, 11:47 pm

kiddy.se wrote:

:clap: :dance:

I actually haven't thought about how this will be in freestyle; for team tricks with interference. Would be kind of weird/interesting to see people team trick using different physics. And different projectile speeds...

This reminds me of another idea I had: Interference channels. For those times you are trying to do a team trick on an fs server or a team run: you need the interference, but there are always other people who either get in your way or press the buttons. If you could select a channel, like a radio station, and then you would only have interference with those people on the same channel, client side doors would be open/closed the same for everyone in that channel etc.

<)Ghost(> wrote:integrating weapons from another game (even though its q3; same reason why there are no team arena maps) is going to be a big no because of licensing.

I've asked about this before, and someone told me that if a new model was made for the px it could be integrated since that wouldn't cause any problems licensing wise.

KittenIgnition wrote:Tag and mode 0 are things that I've wanted for a LOOOONG time. I've talked with my friends about how awesome defrag dm would be, and the only reason they don't think it would be very special is because they don't know how to defrag at all. Playing df.cpm ca would be so entertaining, I don't even know where to begin. And I've tried to play tag in cpma, but that doesn't work very well on account of the mod not being accustomed to that kind of gametype (it's hard to configure the server settings to make it work). A tag mod would be a godsend.

:drool:
oranje

Postby -O-marky » Jul 1st, '11, 11:51 pm

(: a wrote:My name is Arcaon and I approve of this message. Also:

• Checkpoint info

Code: Select all
     200 CH_INFO_TIME,            // defrag - elapsed time
     201 CH_INFO_BESTTIME,        // defrag - best time for map
     202 CH_INFO_TIMEDIFFERENCE,  // defrag - best time - elapsed time
     203 CH_INFO_CHECKPOINTS,     // defrag - all checkpoints
     204 CH_INFO_CHECKPOINT_LAST, // defrag - last checkpoint

/varcommand "say $chsinfo(203)" could yield
    Arcaon: -0:088 -0:136 -0:024 +0:064 +0:384

• Variable for hiding debug messages (a way cleaner console)

Gets rid of everything from "...loading 'scripts/arcaon.shader" to "stitched 0 LoD cracks".

Those '...loading' messages should have been set to be enabled only with 'developer 1' in dfengine, I think.. Making it a cvar wouldn't be an issue, perhaps an r_verbose?
-O-marky

Next