Board index mDd Board Complaints and Suggestions

Glitchy ramps

Did you find a Bug or have an Idea? This is the place to go to.

Glitchy ramps

Postby TittenIgnition » Mar 22nd, '11, 9:16 pm

Sometimes when you try to doublejump off a ramp (in cpm ofc), it acts like a normal jump (no doublejump and no rampjump). other times when you land on a ramp, you gain no speed. theres more ramp-bugs but those are the only ones i know.

anyone know the cause? will it ever be fixed? should it be fixed?
wtf i have a signature?
TittenIgnition

Re: Glitchy ramps

Postby <hk> » Mar 22nd, '11, 9:32 pm

I didn't look into those yet but I think they are caused by a bounce on the ramp. I am not certain, though.

A good way to test this is to make a map that reliable makes the player bounce when hitting a slope using the bounce table.
One could also patch the bounce code back into ioquake3's baseq3 and print a message once the bug occurs.

If this effect is caused by a bounce, I don't see a way to fix it. One could write code that removes bouncing from ramps but there are a number of maps where bouncing on a ramp actually is used to speed up in a 100% reliable way.

Hm... one may fix this by only banning bounces when the player still has positive Z-Velocity and hits a ramp. That would fix the 'lowjump' issue.
The not gaining speed problem is probably not fixable unless you have some kind of convenience check like a "Only bounce if player does not hold the jump button" kind of test when hitting a slope.

However, this is a defrag issue. We(mDd) can't do anything about it. I guess mappers just have to use the noob surface parameter and hope defrag 1.92 will become stable soon. :lol:
Patching playermove code is not easy serverside if possible at all. We won't do it.
Cgg is the only one who can fix this.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby [gt]glm » Mar 27th, '11, 9:18 pm

Modifying physics its not a good idea at all. You already modified physic where player might get ob after spawn (which possible in offline after kill). And you removed 323 ups trick with +strafe... ye, i know it was abused by cheaters and used like hack, but still somewhere it might be used just like a trick (for example runarchi7 vq3 with leftwards route, i didnt cheked but should be for few frames faster). So we already have not original q3 physic :(

PS. do not forget OBs is a bug also which make quake 3 such a nice trickjumping game ;)
[gt]glm

Postby $$-albion » Mar 27th, '11, 11:13 pm

I agree with glm on this one, ob's are a part of the game. Yes, in most cases random ob's are pretty shitty (i.e. the random ramp ob's), but in some cases it can make the map awesomer :O

Still making it a voteable option is not all that bad of an idea :p We should come up with some more voteable options... hmmmmz
$$-albion

Postby <hk> » Mar 27th, '11, 11:25 pm

We never changed an physic. That's something only the mod(i.e. cgg) can do.

[gt]glm wrote:where player might get ob after spawn

The players input is ignored for 1 second after map restart, not spawn. That prevents the random sticky OB one only gets through constant reconnecting. The only way to compete on such a map would be through map restarting all the time your self. I think we all agree that THAT is not what a player wants. Taking out the randomness is pretty helpful when you want to have fun.

[gt]glm wrote:And you removed 323 ups trick with +strafe

That's not a physics issue, too. I again just modified player input. We already discussed this fix as I recall. I know it's not a perfect solution. But it fixes a problem completely with only minor drawbacks.

[gt]glm wrote: PS. do not forget OBs is a bug also which make quake 3 such a nice trickjumping game ;)

Nobody is removing overbounces or modifies the game physic. What I had in mind is a convenience function to activate a defrag build in feature on demand. It's like running a 2nd server with killobs on.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7