Board index mDd Board Complaints and Suggestions

Glossar

Did you find a Bug or have an Idea? This is the place to go to.

Re: Glossar

Postby Phoenix » Dec 17th, '10, 4:50 pm

<hk> wrote:
Phoenix wrote:To me, this is a skim in its most basic form.

The effect shown in the demo is called ramping. But hey, that's just how I learned it. We better make this consistent. I don't want any (also know as X or Y or Z) in there.

Based on your description of Ramping, I agree there is ramping involved in my first demo. Here is a second example. I may have the real opc2 demo on my computer at home but I'm at my parents house for Christmas and stuck on my garbage laptop so here's a noob version of it. There's no ramping in this one so if that's not a skim then what is it? The old opc2 demo I have of it is defined as a skim.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phoenix

Postby <)Ghost(> » Dec 17th, '10, 6:18 pm

glossary.
<)Ghost(>

Postby <hk> » Dec 18th, '10, 8:00 pm

I see you walking down there. Then speedbounce onto the next pad. You just do nothing until the velocity pushes you off the pad and airstrafe. Where is your skim? I don't see any.
I will dump the demo you may ramp up that 2nd pad a really small bit.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby Phoenix » Dec 19th, '10, 7:26 am

Clearing the gap w/o jumping is a skim by my definition. That's based off of a demo by MF or cgaz doing that but landing where I show in my demo who defined it as a skim in what must have been around 2003.
Phoenix

Postby <hk> » Dec 19th, '10, 4:32 pm

That's not even a trick. You happend to have enough velocity to make it down to that window.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby ZyaX » Dec 19th, '10, 4:38 pm

You should mention "step up" when you talk about "ramping", either to describe it or as an alternate label. Because personally I've always said step up when talking about the phenomenon, both as noun and verb. Only in recent years have I started to notice people saying ramping.

Also, here is a skim.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ZyaX
Voice of Reason

Postby ZyaX » Dec 19th, '10, 4:52 pm

I don't remember what this is called, I saw it back in the days and I think it was either rebound or rebounce. I think some people say wallbug though.

Respect to MF :)
ZyaX
Voice of Reason

Postby <hk> » Dec 19th, '10, 10:37 pm

It got introduced to me as "Glitch" but someone else said "rebounce" later on.
It has nothing to do with bouncing. You are just stuck in a wall so the physics thinks you are midair. You are not gaining falling speed because they covered that explicidly.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby Phoenix » Dec 19th, '10, 10:52 pm

<hk> wrote:That's not even a trick. You happend to have enough velocity to make it down to that window.

I could make the same statement for half of the definitions posted here. As Zyax said, ramping is really just step-up. Players can step-up ledges that are up to 18 units high which is how stairs work (although they are typically 8 units in height). Because of this if you fall short of making a ledge but only by up to 18 units you will still make it. That's not really a "trick" it's just how it happens.

Google - Define: Skim

plane: travel on the surface of water
    cause to skip over a surface; "Skip a stone across the pond"

Those are the 2 definitions I see as being the most relevant to what I am describing. I'm not describing anything fancy. I'm saying to me a (q3) skim has been defined as something like this:

Using velocity gained to skim off the surface of a platform, without jumping, and clear a gap.

Again, I will search for the old demo I have of it which defines it as such from 2004 or earlier when I get home in January but until then that is all I can say. That is why I think a distinction between this type of regular skim and the skim you have defined which I would call a wall skim. That or redefine what I am describing but as of right now, to me, this is a skim. Not what you're describing.
Phoenix

Postby ZyaX » Dec 20th, '10, 4:05 pm

Phoenix wrote:I could make the same statement for half of the definitions posted here. As Zyax said, ramping is really just step-up. Players can step-up ledges that are up to 18 units high which is how stairs work (although they are typically 8 units in height). Because of this if you fall short of making a ledge but only by up to 18 units you will still make it. That's not really a "trick" it's just how it happens.

Google - Define: Skim

plane: travel on the surface of water
    cause to skip over a surface; "Skip a stone across the pond"

Those are the 2 definitions I see as being the most relevant to what I am describing. I'm not describing anything fancy. I'm saying to me a (q3) skim has been defined as something like this:

Using velocity gained to skim off the surface of a platform, without jumping, and clear a gap.

Again, I will search for the old demo I have of it which defines it as such from 2004 or earlier when I get home in January but until then that is all I can say. That is why I think a distinction between this type of regular skim and the skim you have defined which I would call a wall skim. That or redefine what I am describing but as of right now, to me, this is a skim. Not what you're describing.

Your idea of skimming is superfluous and deluded. It doesn't matter what Oxford defines it as, in the defrag community skimming is done by seemingly gliding past walls or protruding ceilings without loss of speed at the end of it. What you describe is plainly and bluntly, walking. It is what you do in your demo, you fall onto that platform(in this case also get an OB) and then walk off it. Not much of a trick that would deserve a label.
ZyaX
Voice of Reason

PreviousNext