Board index mDd Board The q3df.org website

Award System Like in Warsow?

Everything related to the mDd website goes here.

Award System Like in Warsow?

Postby Rust7 » Nov 19th, '10, 11:28 pm

I just noticed that "Warsow Race" mode has got an award system. Its a nice thing to improve the q3df.org, new stuff which support players' efforts.

http://www.warsow-race.net/awards/

But ofc instead of points, and game play time, there should be "Player with the most 1st ( or podium ) place finish in the current weak" award, or even "Player with the most 'Speed Award' during the current weak" award. Also, some award for mapping as well would be good, and etc.

It's just a nice idea from the warsow guys, thats why i posted this here. Maybe admins can do something like this, if they like the idea. :)
Rust7

Re: Award System Like in Warsow?

Postby <hk> » Nov 20th, '10, 12:40 am

Yeah, that idea comes up every now and then. Sadly we don't have the manpower.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby $$-albion » Nov 20th, '10, 5:41 am

So, it's not as easy as asking the warsow racenet community about their coded award system? :O :D Because points and awards would be EPIC! As long as it's not an ELO rating system :p
$$-albion

Postby <hk> » Nov 20th, '10, 7:44 am

An award system is really simple. It's basically just about storing awards.

Writing an interface to detect and export events like "User just did a timer reset" is certainly not copy paste from warsow. Warsow is not quake, you know. Automatically detecting things like "User can do a 550 CJ" is not trivial but writing this is not that time consuming if you have an idea of what you want to do.

The export to the website is plain annoying, tough. You have to draw all those pictures and align them in some kind of player profile page. You also have to come up with new awards on a regular basis. People probably want to compare players so you have to have an interface for that. In the end most of the work has to be done in PHP. The frontend is what all this is about. Not talking about website design here.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby $$-albion » Nov 20th, '10, 2:32 pm

<hk> wrote:An award system is really simple. It's basically just about storing awards.

Writing an interface to detect and export events like "User just did a timer reset" is certainly not copy paste from warsow. Warsow is not quake, you know. Automatically detecting things like "User can do a 550 CJ" is not trivial but writing this is not that time consuming if you have an idea of what you want to do.

The export to the website is plain annoying, tough. You have to draw all those pictures and align them in some kind of player profile page. You also have to come up with new awards on a regular basis. People probably want to compare players so you have to have an interface for that. In the end most of the work has to be done in PHP. The frontend is what all this is about. Not talking about website design here.

Ah, I see. Still, it's not like we need every award from warsow :p And actually, every award I saw on that page could be derived from 4 variables, points, playtime, #maps played and #logged times. I think you're already recording the amount of records made per person, so that's one down :D I think the point system would be "harder" one :p

Btw, it never hurts to ask the community if someone wants to help coding for you :D Hereby I'm not applying cause I'm pretty much shit at coding :D ^^
$$-albion

Postby amt-morbus » Nov 20th, '10, 4:42 pm

<hk> wrote:...You have to draw all those pictures...

I could probably help out with that one.
amt-morbus

Postby [DF]yotoon » Nov 20th, '10, 11:35 pm

If the mdd staff is willing to grant some access to the database I will gladly help with coding the frontend. I've been writing websites for years now and I don't think it would be hard to develop the award system/profiles/stats if you could deliver the data.
I've done couple websites over the years:
- http://wallbase.net (I'm very proud of that one ;) )
- http://vvo.pl
.. couple of more which are not online.

I hope we will work something this out for the benefit of the community. 8-)
[DF]yotoon

Postby sdf » Nov 29th, '10, 1:56 pm

amt-morbus wrote:
<hk> wrote:...You have to draw all those pictures...

I could probably help out with that one.

i'd help with that too.
sdf

Postby AL!EN » Dec 3rd, '10, 2:20 pm

How about some reply about free help :?:
"strafe is the most important 'weapon' in defrag" - <hk>
AL!EN