Board index mDd Board The q3df.org website

Levelshots

Everything related to the mDd website goes here.

Levelshots

Postby 742617000027 » Aug 20th, '10, 11:17 am

Hi. I noticed Pan keeps replacing the levelshots included in the .pk3 by shots he takes ingame. Personally, I think that's a little sad since a couple of mappers - me included - spend some time making their levelshots. The way it is now, the actual levelshot can't be seen anymore but only the one Pan made. Wouldn't it be better to have both of them displayed? At least I'd like to see how mappers present their maps, wether or not the map can be seen. Actually, Pan's shots often aren't much more representative than the mappers' ones because there is always only a tiny section to be seen. Take gnj's gnj-fulltorture for example.

Original:

One that can be seen in the archive:

Those who know the map will concur that the new levelshot doesn't show much of the whole map. However, the reason why Pan replaces the original levelshots is to give people a better idea of what the map is and looks like. I myself think, that this goal is pretty much achieved by the map overview. So why replacing the levelshots completely?

Although this site isn't particularly related to q3a.ath.cx, I'd nevertheless like to get your opinions on that. Probably most of you think that it isn't much of a deal, anyway, tell me what you think.

Re: Levelshots

Postby RetroHelix » Aug 20th, '10, 12:55 pm

You are right. Thinking about the mappers and how they want to present their maps its best to leave their lvlshots intact. However Pans shots are often giving a more comprehensive view and therefore they should stay there also :D IMHO, the best solution would be to have a mouseover-feature on q3a.ath.cx that changes the image from mappers lvlshot to Pan's screenshot on mouseover.
RetroHelix

Postby <hk> » Aug 20th, '10, 1:20 pm

Most maps just have a level shot drawn in MS-Paint. Pictures with text in them. Mostly in non international languages. Like those Zodrov maps that all have the very same level shot. The DFWC maps with all the framing around the level shot make it hard to even see the picture inside. :?
Both should be displayed. Maybe a link below the picture that shows the original one. The topview is informative but not that good. It might work for strafemaps but certainly not for weapon maps.

RetroHelix wrote:[...] the best solution would be to have a mouseover-feature on q3a.ath.cx that changes the image from mappers lvlshot to Pan's screenshot [...]

One of his primary goals is to do everything without javascript. Everyone turns that off anyway. :think:
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby RetroHelix » Aug 20th, '10, 3:17 pm

<hk> wrote:...
One of his primary goals is to do everything without javascript. Everyone turns that off anyway. :think:

Looks like Madame Flora is able to do it without any javascript :o
http://www.scientificpsychic.com/etc/css-mouseover.html
RetroHelix

Postby <)Ghost(> » Aug 21st, '10, 8:03 am

i think it should stay the way the mapper made it. i do agree that most levelshots dont show anything related to the map or maybe not as noticeable... as a mapper, i try to make my levelshots more appealing to the eye rather than some plain shot... i was honestly pretty upset when i saw that he changed a lot of those original levelshots, because i usually put about 10-30minutes into making a nice levelshot... since then though i dont bother i just take a quick shot and leave it as is.
<)Ghost(>

Postby >luci< » Aug 26th, '10, 11:32 pm

I have looking at all minions screenshot and other friends mapper, they look pretty nice, I can tell.
why not to implement two simple clickable options like:

author screenshot / system screenshot

making the author ss as default, I dunno, I am guessing.
I would like to keep both.
>luci<

Postby 742617000027 » Aug 27th, '10, 9:59 am

Thing is, Pan is very narrow-minded when it comes to suggestions that would improve the user experience of his website. He rather keeps it the way he thinks is best. Any rational argument you have with him will change absolutely nothing. Don't waste your time bothering.

Postby <)Ghost(> » Aug 27th, '10, 11:52 am

LOL @ Madame Flora!
<)Ghost(>