Board index DeFRaG How to DeFRaG

What kinda mouse to use

Users helping users.

What kinda mouse to use

Postby springy » Oct 13th, '14, 2:39 am

A place to show what kind of mouse you use for q3. Should be helpful for people who cant find a good one to have some suggestions.

This is my mouse.

Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical USB and PS/2 compatible
mouse.jpeg

I love it, it works correctly 100% of time (until it eventually dies, but that takes years)

Works great moving fast or slow; its smooth, and comfortable.

Its pretty old, so its hard to find places to buy it. But I stocked up on them from ebay, so I'm set for a while.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
springy

Re: What kinda mouse to use

Postby <)Ghost(> » Oct 13th, '14, 4:01 am

Gigabyte M8000X

been using it for about 6 months or more and its the best mouse ive used so far.
<)Ghost(>

Postby Ahnuld » Oct 13th, '14, 10:40 am

<)Ghost(> wrote:Gigabyte M8000X

been using it for about 6 months or more and its the best mouse ive used so far.

Just because it says "GHOST" on it?
Ahnuld

Postby <hk> » Oct 13th, '14, 10:52 am

Basically, any mouse is fine.
There are differences, though. For CPM strafe I hear people like to use large pads(50cm) with low sensetivity. This makes for smooth movement. The demand on a mouse isn't that great. The same goes for players with high acceleration, I suppose.

For plasma climbing you often have to do 90 or even 180 degree turns within a few frames. That is very demanding for a mouse. You can compensate with large mousepads.

How much does your mouse travel for a full yaw rotation? 5cm or 30cm?

All the other things a mouse offers don't matter at all. A thumb button is nice for fastkill/savepos but not required. Some players use their old crap mouse since the beginning of time. Get used to a mouse and find a movement that doesn't make the mouse glitch out on you.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby <)Ghost(> » Oct 13th, '14, 3:38 pm

Ahnuld wrote:
<)Ghost(> wrote:Gigabyte M8000X

Just because it says "GHOST" on it?

how'd u know?
<)Ghost(>

Postby springy » Oct 13th, '14, 7:05 pm

The biggest problem to look out for, is some mice don't handle fast motions well.

An example would be the very common HP mouse, the little black one with grey buttons. (I don't know what its called) When you move it fast enough, it stops moving at all, or moves randomly in the wrong direction. Totally intolerable for most gaming purposes.

Ive seen a few people complaining about this problem, and I used to suffer from it years ago before I found my current mouse.
springy

Postby DF/// ifoo » Oct 13th, '14, 8:16 pm

springy wrote:The biggest problem to look out for, is some mice don't handle fast motions well.

I had that problem when I was using the mouse you have, springy. Fast mouse movements didn't work at all, mouse just either didn't do anything, or behaved weirdly (when doing moving it abruptly for like 10 cms).

I got an MX518 now, pretty good as well. I'm just noticing I can't do max height RJs regularly at all ... not sure if it's the mouse tho or I just went nup (but I never noticed that with previous mice). Anyway, MX518 is still the one I like most so far. (had MX510, G5, Roccat Kone before)
DF/// ifoo

Postby TittenIgnition » Oct 14th, '14, 1:46 am

WMO 4 LYFEEEEE

Someone on ESR was basically handing out free WMOs, I asked for one and he shipped it to me for free from Europ! It was awesome!

Another friend of mine bought me a Deathadder, which I taped up the minute I got it; it had like 5CDs of LOD, and was completely unplayable.

I'm quite torn in my current situation. Basically, I got a glass pad, which my DA can't track on. Not a huge issue, since I do prefer the WMO as a mouse. The WMO is God's mouse, so it tracks on anything. However, it has no side buttons. I like using the side button for push-to-talk, which obviously isn't possible on a 3-button mouse. So, for now I'm switching back and forth depending on what I'm doing: If I need PTT (usually casual-ish games, like Borderlands), I use the DA. If I don't need the extra buttons, I use the WMO. Sadly I had to give up my glass pad, as it's really loud and I don't want to take the tape off of the DA. I also had to give up my glass pad.

In summation: WMO is a good mouse, but I wish there were basically WMO 2.0 with side buttons. Ninox Aurora was supposed to answer that wish, but...
wtf i have a signature?
TittenIgnition

Postby springy » Oct 14th, '14, 5:31 am

DF/// ifoo wrote:I had that problem when I was using the mouse you have, springy.

AnNh is saying the same thing. Its so weird that the mouse that solved the problem for me is the one that's causing it for you guys.

Maybe its more of an issue that certain mice are compatible with certain hardware/computer setups. Or maybe driver differences play a part.

I guess its not a clear-cut issue.
springy

Postby Ahnuld » Oct 14th, '14, 11:53 am

TittenIgnition wrote:WMO 4 LYFEEEEE

Someone on ESR was basically handing out free WMOs, I asked for one and he shipped it to me for free from Europ! It was awesome!

Another friend of mine bought me a Deathadder, which I taped up the minute I got it; it had like 5CDs of LOD, and was completely unplayable.

I'm quite torn in my current situation. Basically, I got a glass pad, which my DA can't track on. Not a huge issue, since I do prefer the WMO as a mouse. The WMO is God's mouse, so it tracks on anything. However, it has no side buttons. I like using the side button for push-to-talk, which obviously isn't possible on a 3-button mouse. So, for now I'm switching back and forth depending on what I'm doing: If I need PTT (usually casual-ish games, like Borderlands), I use the DA. If I don't need the extra buttons, I use the WMO. Sadly I had to give up my glass pad, as it's really loud and I don't want to take the tape off of the DA. I also had to give up my glass pad.

In summation: WMO is a good mouse, but I wish there were basically WMO 2.0 with side buttons. Ninox Aurora was supposed to answer that wish, but...

The Aurora is supposed to finally be released next month. It's already up for preorders now.

I've been rocking the Zowie FK for about two years now.
Ahnuld

Next