Board index DeFRaG How to DeFRaG

Good Maps For Newbies?

Users helping users.

Good Maps For Newbies?

Postby Leaf » May 13th, '10, 7:14 pm

Hi,

I just started playing defrag a few months ago. I used to play QW, then recently started playing Quake Live, and after playing a few QL defrag maps, I started playing vq3 defrag. I've been following the dfwc. I've completed all the maps except for round 4.

I'd appreciate if someone could recommend maps that help with a specific skill. I'm thinking of maps like elco-aga, where you have to do a rl-to-pg trick at the start (which I cannot do). Thanks.
Leaf

Re: Good Maps For Newbies?

Postby ally is a cheater » May 13th, '10, 7:24 pm

hm..icepoint :p
ally is a cheater

Postby 742617000027 » May 13th, '10, 7:51 pm

I'd suggest playing online as much as you can. If you can't do certain parts of a map, spectate other players and simply try to copy what they are doing. If this doesn't help, switch to another server and try again later. Or you could train the different techniques on freestyle maps. That's how I learned to do things, but it's less fun playing for yourself. There are a lot of friendly people on the servers that are willing to help every newcomer :)

If you want to go with the freestyle map learning method, check out the amt-freestyle maps. They contain a lot of training rooms. For strafe pads, you might want to practice on bliss-beta2a, although there could be other maps with pads that are better calculated, don't know.

Postby 2laat? » May 13th, '10, 11:06 pm

the only bacchus i know is playing promode. and he is a pal of pushpabon, poub, and mew guys. if i'm not mistaken..

anyway, i would suggest you to try cmc03, 04, 05 mappacks
2laat?

Postby Leaf » May 14th, '10, 12:44 pm

742617000027 wrote:I'd suggest playing online as much as you can. If you can't do certain parts of a map, spectate other players and simply try to copy what they are doing. If this doesn't help, switch to another server and try again later. Or you could train the different techniques on freestyle maps. That's how I learned to do things, but it's less fun playing for yourself. There are a lot of friendly people on the servers that are willing to help every newcomer :)

I'm sure you're right, but if I start playing online, then I'll probably do something silly like join a clan and waste loads of time playing defrag. :)

eL0schmerz wrote:the only bacchus i know is playing promode. and he is a pal of pushpabon, poub, and mew guys. if i'm not mistaken..

That's not me. I found a new name when I signed up to this site.

I'll check out the maps you recommend. Thanks.
Leaf

Postby 2laat? » May 14th, '10, 9:22 pm

"I'm sure you're right, but if I start playing online, then I'll probably do something silly like join a clan and waste loads of time playing defrag"

haha not particularly. but if so - why not, cuz defrag is the best game ever :)
2laat?

Postby Phoenix » Jun 1st, '10, 1:26 am

You're not the bacchus from own-age.com are you?
Phoenix

Postby RetroHelix » Jun 1st, '10, 11:49 am

Phoenix wrote:You're not the bacchus from own-age.com are you?

I was browsing own-age lately and often saw a picture of a smiling king or something. If I remember right the person with this avatar was called Bacchus.
To make it short, I had the same question in mind :D
RetroHelix

Postby $$-albion » Jun 1st, '10, 12:00 pm

RetroHelix wrote:

I was browsing own-age lately and often saw a picture of a smiling king or something. If I remember right the person with this avatar was called Bacchus.
To make it short, I had the same question in mind :D

Smiling king, lol :D

Try ancient Greek God of wine and grapes by the name of Dionysius, who was called Bacchus by the Romans :p
$$-albion

Postby Leaf » Jun 1st, '10, 4:35 pm

Nope. Maybe I should choose a new name, since loads of people seemed to have already called themselves Bacchus.
Leaf

Next