Board index DeFRaG Mapping

screenshots

Maps and the process of creating them

Re: screenshots

Postby - » Oct 21st, '13, 11:20 pm

-
Last edited by - on Apr 22nd, '14, 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-

Postby ZeeL » Oct 22nd, '13, 11:47 am

Just by curiosity, as my mapping skillz are terrible. How do you process to do stuff like these maps Bacon ?

If i had to do this i guess i would just try to plug my N64/emulator and roam in the level i want to reproduce while trying to make it on radiant at the same time ^^. I would try to find as close as possible textures that match with the original and simply apply them but i guess you re doing things in an other way :)
ZeeL

Postby - » Oct 22nd, '13, 1:50 pm

The regular process for me is:

-Dump room's geometry (Perfect dark is 1 room at a time, while games that are less memory intensive on n64 let me do more at once)
-Dump Textures from said room (both done on 1964 with a special plugin)
-Import room into blender (x3d/wrl supports VRML97 still, which is what n64 used)
-Save blender file if it's the first room
-After the first room is imported, have to move to the next room in the emulator, and repeat the first 3 steps
-Have to grab each piece by a vertex that is common with another room, and snap it into place with blender. This is important to not do it by hand/eye because nothing will line up.
-Once finished, have to merge all meshes into one single mesh, flip all normals, and remove all doubles, then it's ready to go
-Export as .OBJ (blenders quake map exporter sucks, and can't handle odd angles)
-Use a custom build of half life 2's OBJ2MAP
-Done, import into radiant and re-texture. ;)
-

Postby ZeeL » Oct 22nd, '13, 3:55 pm

Ok as expected it s really out of my reach :p Thx for the explanation :)
ZeeL

Postby - » Oct 22nd, '13, 4:25 pm

It can be a pain in the ass. Other objects such as camera, lights, player models, ammo boxes, weapons all have to be removed from each room that is ripped as well. I got started on dam at work today, so i'll post some screens later when I get home. As sad as it sounds, this computer can't handle compiling maps. :lol:
-

Postby gnj » Oct 22nd, '13, 8:05 pm

This looks really great. Awesome work.

I always wanted to rebuild some of the maps from Super Mario 64 but it was too much work by hand. Any plans compiling one of those?
gnj

Postby - » Oct 22nd, '13, 10:18 pm

Yup. Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Zelda OOT, Majoras Mask, and Road Rash 64 are all games I plan(ned) on doing. Mario 64 and Zelda might be a while to complete, because many of the maps in those games are too hard to make a run map for. They suit more of a freestyle map or a map for free for all.
-

Postby ZeeL » Oct 23rd, '13, 12:05 am

AMAGAD mario 64 could make some really fun runs i think. Torture map from rainbow world anyone ? :p peach and pinguin races can be fun to play also. aaah so many memories from those awesome N64 games.

Arcaon already made bowser castle from MK64 wich is pretty cool to play on Q3 and i think there s a lot more races that can do good strafe runs. Mario circuit 1 for exemple with velocity pads on the big jump :). Wario Stadium ffs :p Argh and ghost circuit 1 from SMK !!!

Want to see a downhill run from the top of Goron's mountain that starts on the fairy cavern and ends near the guard that gives the letter/mask side quest. We could strafe to beat Igor on the graveyard instead of rolling and side jumping ^^
ZeeL

Postby - » Oct 23rd, '13, 1:06 am

-
Last edited by - on Apr 22nd, '14, 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-

Postby <hk> » Oct 23rd, '13, 3:48 pm

You could put a bounce at the bottom to bounce back up or to a distanc goal.

Or just make the player hit a tiny target.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

PreviousNext