Board index DeFRaG Mapping

Video tutorial of mapping process

Maps and the process of creating them

Re: Video tutorial of mapping process

Postby <)Ghost(> » Jan 31st, '10, 11:08 pm

gameplay test.. with minor details..ill post on how i did the terrain later..
<)Ghost(>

Postby <)Ghost(> » Feb 1st, '10, 3:14 am

terrain mapping... used program called easygen

http://www.sendspace.com/file/fr3lex
this is the vid..

with this program you can blend textures i chose not to cause it wasnt necessary for me. when u watch it you'll notice that when exporting it to a .map file it tells u to make a shader file.. you have to do this.. basically name it whatever ur map name is. for the alphamap with radiant u dont need it, so save it on desktop or something then delete it later.

since it was a single textured terrain, once i imported it to gtk i changed it into an worldspawn entity, so it wouldnt be rendered as an terrain entity. then i re-textured the face only to the texture i thought suited best (i will most likely change what i used and use something more fitting the environment)

but with this program u can blend textures.. its very easy to use i leanred it in about 20 minutes. if ud like i can make a vid of blending textures.
<)Ghost(>

Postby $$-albion » Feb 1st, '10, 3:37 pm

Great, I think I'm good for now :D gonna attempt to make a simple map tonight :D
$$-albion

Postby <)Ghost(> » Feb 2nd, '10, 5:24 am

patch meshing provides great results.. especially when your too lazy to vertex brushes.

to patch mesh: make a brush then either hit the shortcut shift p or go to curves and hit Simple Patch mesh. a small window will pop up saying patch density. the higher number you chose the more ways u can make it more complex/realistic. IE: if u choose 3x3 the most u can do with that is make a hill. if u chose 7x7 (which is what i did you have more diversity in what u can do). then its just as simple as dragging the vertices around until u find something u like.
<)Ghost(>

Postby $$-albion » Feb 3rd, '10, 12:12 am

Ok, so yesterday I wanted to start making a map, so I started up gtkradiant 1.4 and this was what I got:
http://i46.tinypic.com/k18669.png
(It's black because i minimised the screen, normally it's all grey)

So today I tried again with setting 'compatibility mode' to windows xp pack 2, still the same. I even tried it with gtkradiant 1.5 but I get the same result :s

I'm currently using Windows Vista Home Premium, but I'm switching to 7 somewhere this week. Does anyone else have problems with gtkradiant on vista or 7?
$$-albion

Postby <)Ghost(> » Feb 3rd, '10, 1:03 am

check ur email.. sorry i get so much spam i rarely check my email.
<)Ghost(>

Postby $$-albion » Feb 3rd, '10, 2:56 am

Ghost>)MINIONS(< wrote:check ur email.. sorry i get so much spam i rarely check my email.

Ah great, works like a charm now, thousand times thanks :D
$$-albion

Postby $$-albion » Feb 3rd, '10, 4:42 pm

Hmmz, seems more difficult than I thought XD :p so I guess you won't see a map of me soon xD :p got a few ideas though :p got like 5 map designs already, but I gotta figure out a shitload of the cmds and stuff in gtkradiant :p
$$-albion

Postby <)Ghost(> » Feb 3rd, '10, 5:15 pm

its really easy once u get the hang of it, its lots of repetition with setting up triggers making brushes etc..
<)Ghost(>

Postby <)Ghost(> » Feb 4th, '10, 10:33 pm

so i released this map last night, and in single player the map runs perfect, but in online, u can time reset and the target_init doesn't work ( keep the haste) so im pretty disappointed in that.

anyway here is the .map file.. maybe u can learn something new from it.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/afbx43

if you use any piece of this map please give me some credit for it, its not your work.
<)Ghost(>

PreviousNext