Board index DeFRaG Mapping

textures help

Maps and the process of creating them

textures help

Postby skyhighguy » Feb 10th, '15, 2:23 am

I know gpl explained it but i'm slow so =p

Can somebody please direct me to:

1. How to tell where the textures that are already in my radiant are coming from, so that I can later put it into the pk3, but to also get more custom textures..

2. How to apply those textures to maps, and how to avoid getting missing textures in maps. (White and gray stuff everywhere) So um bsp doesn't transfer the information in it, I typically just copy the bsp and delete after i test each time... but custom textures apparently dont come along =p

3. How do I correctly place the textures in the pk3 file?
skyhighguy

Re: textures help

Postby <)Ghost(> » Feb 10th, '15, 3:58 am

skyhighguy wrote:1. How to tell where the textures that are already in my radiant are coming from, so that I can later put it into the pk3, but to also get more custom textures..

custom textures come from exisiting pk3 files (or whatever u add to baseq3/textures/yourfoldername/).. anything from the textures tab will come from baseq3/textures/

as to actually finding the custom textures, you'll have to check each pk3 until u get each texture

skyhighguy wrote:2. How to apply those textures to maps, and how to avoid getting missing textures in maps. (White and gray stuff everywhere) So um bsp doesn't transfer the information in it, I typically just copy the bsp and delete after i test each time... but custom textures apparently dont come along =p

not sure what u mean here.

skyhighguy wrote:3. How do I correctly place the textures in the pk3 file?

http://ws.q3df.org/level_design/making_pk3/
<)Ghost(>

Re: textures help

Postby Le another black niger » Feb 10th, '15, 10:20 am

1. you can use 'bspshoe' tool for that
if you want to pack your release pk3 automatically (only needed textures/sounds/shaders, excluding q3's pak0-8 contents), use 'mapacker' from q3map2toolz (from gui or command line)

2. how to avoid getting missing textures in maps

test your release pk3 on separate fresh q3 install with pak0-8 only
console will warn you about problems immediately (unless it's iodfengine!)

3.that article, or just follow the structure, existing in pk3, where your resources come from
Le another black niger