Board index DeFRaG Mapping

AMT-Freestyle 5 Release

Maps and the process of creating them

AMT-Freestyle 5 Release

Postby amt-morbus » Oct 16th, '13, 12:56 pm

Finally released THE map:

It has been a long time since my last release and this is mainly related to the size of the original project. Nevertheless, I had to split the map. As a result, this is the first of several maps to come. This release is a smaller part of the whole concept and you can check out the ReadMe file in the pk3 for background info.

The freestyle room is pretty old and the focus is on providing the basis for new trickjumping concepts. Some of those features are:

- Shootable Teleporters
    - Shootable Jumppads
    - Midair Stopper
    - Shooters (plasma and rocket)
    - Possibility to hide certain map geometry
    - Velocity jumppads

20 Strafepad lanes should provide plenty of room to challenge you. Noobs and pros should find their limits within those lanes.

Check out the Readme file that is included in the pk3. There are instruction on how to switch to the secondary space skybox via \r_detailtextures.

Enough said, enjoy the map: http://ws.q3df.org/map/AMT-Freestyle5/

ad: Some players with high-end computers encountered trouble with fps. Up to now, only users with Nvidia cards reported issues. With my old pc (Core2Duo + Radeon 3870) I had stable 125 fps. If you encouter fps difficulties, please write about your issue and if you could fix it. Maybe we can figure out a solution.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by amt-morbus on Oct 16th, '13, 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amt-morbus

Re: AMT-Freestyle 5 Release

Postby dqopb » Oct 16th, '13, 1:38 pm

Cool, I'm glad to finally see it released!
:clap:
dqopb

Postby amt-morbus » Oct 16th, '13, 1:41 pm

What I forgot to mention in the readme: Fixing the "Delta parseEntitiesNum too old." message via \cl_nodelta 1 results in bigger demo sizes. To avoid both, big demos and message, you can do the following:

\con_filter0 "Delta parseEntitiesNum too old."

This will filter all the annoying messages from console.

HF
amt-morbus

Postby se1z » Oct 16th, '13, 3:31 pm

Glad you finally released it, although it's only a tiny part of the whole map.
You know what they say: Hard work pays off
Greetz se1z (the other Austrian Dude)
se1z

Postby ZeeL » Oct 16th, '13, 5:00 pm

Really nice map ! I can't wait to see what freestylers will find with all the features inside !

Something is bothering me tho...i only found 4 of the 20 switches to open the secret door ^^ They are really tiny and sometimes very well hidden.
ZeeL

Postby Kabcorp » Oct 17th, '13, 7:57 pm

Very good i wait it since a long time :)
Kabcorp

Postby khetti » Oct 19th, '13, 10:17 pm

Cool map, possibly the best FS room so far. Shame about the framerate.
I get violent switches from 125 to 70 depending on angle and position.
If it is NVIDIA cards that have this problem it may explain the poor performance I get on other maps...

The fs room is a bit crowded, a few objects too many.
Some obstacles are redundant and block more interesting paths through the map.
I guess the positive is that there is always a place to land.

The strafelanes seem oddly spaced, with angled cjs becoming impossible as soon as you'd need one.
Of the lanes I could finish, the starts were much harder than the ends.
The teleporter places you for a left cj, a forward teleport would be better.

I heard there were more rooms excluded from the map, maybe you can release an update in the future :)
khetti

Postby amt-morbus » Oct 21st, '13, 7:46 pm

Thanks for the feedback and good to see that you enjoy the map.

This is indeed only a small part (~20%) of the original map and the remaining 80% will be also released in the future. The map is really stuffed with things and yes, some interesting routes will not be possible. To an extent, this is inevitable since I didn't design the map for specific tricks or routes.

Let me elaborate a few points about the strafe pads:
- Most people start strafing with forward+left and this is the reason why you get teleported into that position. But if you are seriously attempting a particular lane, you would anyway use savepos to restore your prefered angles.
- The first two jumps are certainly not easy but still not exceptionally hard. The strenght of players for beginning/end of a lane also differs and other people may find easier startings inappropriate.

People were asking me about a 'Gong'-sound that they sometimes hear. This sound plays whenever a player finds one of the 20 hidden secret buttons. After all buttons are activated, you can use this teleporter to get to the secret:

<3 Good luck!
amt-morbus

Postby Kabcorp » Oct 21st, '13, 10:39 pm

Just... AWESOME!!!
Thanks a lot =D =D
Kabcorp

Postby gnj » Oct 24th, '13, 1:41 pm

Sweet map Morbus! Having a lot of fun with it.

I really like the looks of the strafe section, but the pads indeed seem pretty hard (cant even get past 14). What do they compare to?
gnj

Next