Board index DeFRaG Mapping

How you make yours maps routes?

Maps and the process of creating them

How you make yours maps routes?

Postby char4n » Jun 7th, '13, 6:17 pm

Hi! Im learning radiant and defrag mapping. p3nt4 teach me all i know about this, and he show me a program called padsgenerator, or pads.out (thats the way a exec the program from the terminal -i use linux-). The program was edited by Guntherdw..

Ok, so, my question is: whats the metod you use for making the routes of your maps?? I ask because i thing is interesting and i can learn something about the diferents way the people do his routes.
thats all!
my english is bad! :/
char4n

Re: How you make yours maps routes?

Postby <)Ghost(> » Jun 7th, '13, 9:15 pm

just map something until u find something you like.
<)Ghost(>

Postby <hk> » Jun 8th, '13, 2:51 am

I have two ways to approach mapping:

1. I have an idea how the map should look like(textures, geometry). I then think of some corridors or rooms that fit the image. You just put in some tricks you know and by accident find something interesting. Sometimes you want to make a part(like a corner) look nicer by adding more detail. Then when you check how it looks ingame you rocketjump all over the wall and find a cool move with those changes you just made. That's how you come up with a new trick.
This approach takes a lot of work because you are constantly adding stuff to the map and remove things. It takes a long time. But the result will look nice and is fitting.

I mapped "confaces" that way. I had a wallpaper(included in the pk3) and wanted to make a map that looks just like it. I then spend about a month getting the block positions right with test players for CPM and VQ3. Back then people used to actually test their maps. Quality over quantity. I rushed the last 1/4 of the map and that's where I fucked up the finish :/ Some people like it, though. The map turned out to be very hard because I used skilled testplayers.

2. I have a trick in mind that I want the player to perform. I map it and test it over and over until I don't find any ways to short the trick. finding every short is impossible, just don't work your self up about it after the final release. I then add more tricks that fit the one I mapped and string them together. That kind of mapping produces maps that are more like a series of tricks thats a world that has a certain aura to it.

I made "multitask" that way. That map tries to force the player to do as many things at the same time as possible. Like the 1st trick that has the player plasma up a wall while ducking to fit into the gap at the ceiling. The moment you are up there you are out of health due to the long climb. So you have to take the medkit. And turn for the next trick while keeping velocity.
The player has to press W+D+CTRL+USE -> Turn+JUMP
The next trick is similar complex.
However the map looks like shit and I am sorry I rushed the release and got many many bugs with it. Maybe there will be a remake some day.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby char4n » Jun 8th, '13, 10:55 pm

thanks for answer!
im surprised about the fact you dont use that program (o that ones of gambit). for me is a little hard to start making a map
"from zero"... the numbers that the program gimme helpme to strat. i think maybe i need more time playing.
hope more people post their own methods!

PD: i see that in the pk3 of confaces and multitask are included the .map files, that nice! Same for the post of ghost whit his .maps. thanks both for that, is good for learning
char4n

Postby Le another black niger » Jun 9th, '13, 8:39 am

right, you have to be skilled to test specific tricks
(or use experienced testers)
other way is creating uniform tricks
Le another black niger

Postby Arcaon » Jul 18th, '13, 3:50 pm

The more you plan your routes, the less fun they'll be.
Arcaon

Postby char4n » Jul 21st, '13, 6:57 pm

Arcaon wrote:The more you plan your routes, the less fun they'll be.

nice concept! :)
char4n