Board index DeFRaG Mapping

Your best map

Maps and the process of creating them

Your best map

Postby <hk> » Mar 14th, '11, 2:42 pm

To all mappers out there, what do you consider your best and your worst map? Why do you like/hate it so much? What could you have done better?
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Re: Your best map

Postby <hk> » Mar 14th, '11, 2:44 pm

I think my best map is "confaces". It's a pretty hard strafe map which I had tested for a month to ged it right. Unfortunately I changed the end right before the release and fucked it up. It's a little hard to hit the finish-pad right in vq3.
I'm a little disappointed that people rarely play it. It's a good strafe map build around skimming and placing every jump right. There seem to be a lot of routes so it's a search experience, too.
People probably didn't like the sky. I chose to make the white sky texture because the wallpaper I had at that time (included in the pk3) was white in the void, too. A white sky makes the map friendlier.
I also spend quite a while removing the blood. People kill a lot on this map so I noticed all the gips at the bottom of the sky box. I put a trigger there that removes gips when they come in contact with it. Blood stained blocks however I like.
confaces.jpg

My worst map is probably "multitask". I liked the idea of a map that would force the player to use as many buttons as possible at the same time. I messed up a shortcut prevention at the start, though. The player can simply skip the most awesome trick of the whole map. You can even timer reset it.
It looks like shit, too. I was so excited about the concept that I didn't do my best. Eventually I will fix all that in "multitask2", I guess.
multitask.jpg

I don't think "rstm" is a bad map. It serves it's purpose perfectly. "Record Script Test Map". It also uncovered a bug in the Defrag Timer system. All times better than 0:040 shouldn't be possible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby $$-albion » Mar 14th, '11, 2:46 pm

You forgot about your variations on test_bigbox :p
$$-albion

Postby <hk> » Mar 14th, '11, 2:52 pm

those are "cool" but not a real map. I delete the records of that map every now and then, when I change it. Just a joke. But yeah, I totally forgot about those. :)
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby DF///Kov3nant » Mar 14th, '11, 3:15 pm

My best map was Kov3nant-apple. cpm strafe map lots of turns and it's a bit torturous at the end. had a lot of good feedback on it though. people seem to like it. i'm pretty proud of it. and i got a lot of compliments about the glass ceiling.

My worst map was my 2nd one i ever made kov_eisbahn. I was brand new to mapping and wanted to try out the whole ice thing. i liked it a lot in some other maps so i figured, "why not try it out"
yeah, big mistake. the map turned out horrible. and it was possible to grab haste powerup towards the end and then go all the way back to tr, but this time with haste. terrible terrible map.

DF///Kov3nant

Postby <)Ghost(> » Mar 16th, '11, 6:12 pm

heh this will be hard for me, ive got a lot of terrible maps.
so im just going to skip that, ill just say that, my first year or so was my 'learning' period, you name it my earlier maps had it, time reset with weapons/items/etc... bad gameplay/bad or no design at all

as for my best map, i would have to say g-strafe7
map has good flow, lots of shortcuts, time varies with the possibilities of ob's, ramps, time reset.
<)Ghost(>

Postby $$-albion » Mar 16th, '11, 8:11 pm

Afraid of telling your worst one? :p Honestly, I can't remember :p
$$-albion

Postby TittenIgnition » Mar 19th, '11, 4:55 am

my best map definitely has to be urmom_run3 -.-
wtf i have a signature?
TittenIgnition

Postby demon0r » Mar 19th, '11, 11:23 pm

My 2 masterpieces - 'bueh' and 'sramcidobuzi' (thx to Chooy for guts editing and lovely sfx)

My worst map? Well pick one of those: aaa, dem_erjt, dem_cpm, dem_cpm_heavy
demon0r

Postby >luci< » Mar 29th, '11, 5:19 am

well I really don't feel like I have good maps. My favorite one is "minions-run12", I tryed to combinate 2 routes, cpm and vq3. The Cpm route feels nice to play with, smooth turns, pads well placed on the beginning, which is dificult to fit on every player. Vq3 route is a huge fail. I did not put checkpoints on purpose because I thought this could be more challenging.

The worst one "minions-run11" because I spend a lot time in design and the gameplay suck balls of camels.

>luci<

Next