Board index DeFRaG Mapping

New entities

Maps and the process of creating them

Re: New entities

Postby BeRsErKeR » May 7th, '12, 4:28 pm

Now talking with mark about features and fixes that have to be implemented or fixed before the release. From my point of view maybe we could release a first version of 1.92 in the next weeks. My "urgent todo list" is shrinking each day. So we're on a good way. Mappers prepare! :D
BeRsErKeR

Postby $$-albion » May 7th, '12, 11:13 pm

BeRsErKeR wrote:Now talking with mark about features and fixes that have to be implemented or fixed before the release. From my point of view maybe we could release a first version of 1.92 in the next weeks. My "urgent todo list" is shrinking each day. So we're on a good way. Mappers prepare! :D

Sounds awesome, can't wait to see some maps with the new entities. Seems like defrag will be a nice cooldown after powerplaying Diablo III all day xD
$$-albion

Postby BeRsErKeR » May 8th, '12, 12:26 am

I hope the mappers will use the full potential of the new entities. There are many cool things that will be possible and entities like the multimanager will ease mappers life and help to reduce the entity count a lot. Shio build a testing version of a coin-gathering map. It's similar to acc-maps but you won't have to shoot things but collect special items to finish the map. Was very funny as collecting the coins played the "super mario coin pickup sound". :lol:
BeRsErKeR

Postby wubwub » May 8th, '12, 12:59 am

BeRsErKeR wrote:Mappers prepare! :D

wubwub

Postby BeRsErKeR » May 8th, '12, 11:12 am

:D good boy!

Finally the defrag development mailing list was brought to life again. As cggdev.org is down I asked cgg for creating a blog or something like that at q3defrag.org to announce the community about news, releases and the current development. And of course to provide a central place to download new releases. I'm waiting for his answer right know.

The basic thing behind this is: The development starts rolling once again. And I'm very happy about that. I told cgg and mark about my schedule for the release. As I said before I think of 2-3 weeks till a release. The next days and weeks will show if we could handle that in time or maybe if it would be possible sooner.

So thanks for all of your feedback and patience. You will be finally rewarded for that.
BeRsErKeR

Postby AL!EN » May 8th, '12, 12:33 pm

BeRsErKeR wrote:Finally the defrag development mailing list was brought to life again. As cggdev.org is down I asked cgg for creating a blog or something like that at q3defrag.org to announce the community about news, releases and the current development. And of course to provide a central place to download new releases. I'm waiting for his answer right know.

I'm very happy about this but i must point that this time it cannot be something that will disappear again :!: :x :evil: I don't want to see the same story over and over: the site comes up and after several months is gone without any reason or information "i have no money, help me !". If it will happend again it's bullshit :evil:

Look what happend to http://www.defrag.pl because some stupid and lazy bastard (hi yotoon !) :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

So try to use actual domain (q3defrag.org) and stable hosting (q3df.org) - maybe this time HK can help :?: I know that he refuse to accept that q3df.org (along with all servers) is a true Defrag Development and Community Center. And i never understand why he refuse any help from community :roll:

If not then use cheapest domain service and hosting, pay for 3 years and add a "Donation" button like "Site is going disappear in 2 years and 350 days if donation won't reach xx" - the future of domain and server will be secure.

BeRsErKeR wrote:So thanks for all of your feedback and patience. You will be finally rewarded for that.

No, we should thank you. From what i understand you use C++ for you pay job. Still it doesn't mean that developing new Quake 3 entities is a easy task.
"strafe is the most important 'weapon' in defrag" - <hk>
AL!EN

Postby BeRsErKeR » May 8th, '12, 4:33 pm

I will take care about keeping the site online. If it will go down anyway I'll set up my own server to host defrag stuff. Maybe hk could also host defrag releases.

I used to code C++ since about 14 years in my free time and also had a job where I did that. At the moment I do not much coding at all. The defrag source is kinda tricky and lacks of several things that are standard in modern game codes and programming languages (it's written in good old C). So a simple change could cause very strange bugs. Sometimes in totally different locations. But fortunately I have a very good tester. :)
BeRsErKeR

Postby AL!EN » May 8th, '12, 4:40 pm

What about DFEngine ? Source is located here: https://github.com/cliffrowley/dfengine right ? Does you or Marky have some private SVN repo ? How about you/Marky do a github.com clone and allows for pull requests ?
AL!EN

Postby amt-morbus » May 8th, '12, 4:54 pm

Drakkar is responsible for Dfengine and is still active.
amt-morbus

Postby AL!EN » May 8th, '12, 4:56 pm

Well, i se no changes since 2 years :( And i want this
AL|EN wrote:One thing that i would love to see is proper download missing maps when you play demo for it. So the engine would wait for map download and then start to play demo without force player to start it again.
so badly ...
AL!EN

PreviousNext