Board index DeFRaG Mapping

Converting Problems ( .obj / .3ds -> to -> .bsp or .map )

Maps and the process of creating them

Converting Problems ( .obj / .3ds -> to -> .bsp or .map )

Postby Rust7 » Apr 12th, '19, 10:29 am

Hey Fellas' ! 8-)
It's been a while.

I re-discovered an old project of mine, and I ran into deadends multiple times.
I though it will be a good time to ask any hardcore quakers/defragers/mappers around here, maybe there is a solution to my problem, which is the following:

I have 3 "levels", in .obj and in .3ds format ( don't ask reason, its a long story )

I want to use these in GTKRadiant, but since it cannot load or read these formats, they should be converted somehow into .map or at least into .bsp ( which then can be converted to .map - as far as I know )

Do any of you know a way to do this somehow?

I'am interested in any method.
( They do not load with misc_model, they quite large also )

Would be better in .bsp at least.

Thanks! :idea: :)
User avatar
Rust7
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Oct 14th, '10, 4:12 pm
Location: Hungary

Re: Converting Problems ( .obj / .3ds -> to -> .bsp or .map

Postby sjuk » Apr 12th, '19, 7:14 pm

Glad to see you, rusty treasure :character-sebastian: ! )
Can you attach the plan of your defrag maps' universe, which you drew by hand years ago? Or remind in which of your .pk3s it was placed in /textures folder? :animals-frog:
Areas of verdant dephts :character-count: were not much presented in your released maps yet.
And also would like to see a map from you made in chtonic plumy violet environment :auto-iroc: (as Shao Kahn's Outworld, presented in 1990s' MortalKombat: Conquest :character-koolaid: tv series)
After playing a lot on kozomёt's blue tile surface maps you will not remain the same person #:&
User avatar
sjuk
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Mar 7th, '11, 11:22 am

Re: Converting Problems ( .obj / .3ds -> to -> .bsp or .map

Postby Rust7 » Apr 13th, '19, 12:00 am

sjuk wrote:Glad to see you, rusty treasure :character-sebastian: ! )
Can you attach the plan of your defrag maps' universe, which you drew by hand years ago? Or remind in which of your .pk3s it was placed in /textures folder? :animals-frog:
Areas of verdant dephts :character-count: were not much presented in your released maps yet.
And also would like to see a map from you made in chtonic plumy violet environment :auto-iroc: (as Shao Kahn's Outworld, presented in 1990s' MortalKombat: Conquest :character-koolaid: tv series)


It's on r7-tornal, the latest version of it, called "Rust Mountains". 8-)
User avatar
Rust7
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Oct 14th, '10, 4:12 pm
Location: Hungary

Re: Converting Problems ( .obj / .3ds -> to -> .bsp or .map

Postby Le another black niger » Apr 13th, '19, 9:49 am

method: using radiant, which can load both these formats
Le another black niger
 
Posts: 379
Joined: May 17th, '11, 5:08 pm

Re: Converting Problems ( .obj / .3ds -> to -> .bsp or .map

Postby GlueDrinker » Apr 13th, '19, 3:11 pm

Rust7 wrote:I have 3 "levels", in .obj and in .3ds format ( don't ask reason, its a long story )

I want to use these in GTKRadiant, but since it cannot load or read these formats, they should be converted somehow into .map or at least into .bsp ( which then can be converted to .map - as far as I know )

Do any of you know a way to do this somehow?

As I told you, what you're asking for cannot be done: once the brushes are turned into triangles, there's no way to go back. A tree cannot be turned back into a seed and eggs cannot be uncooked.

What you _can_ do is take the .map files I sent you 2.5 years ago and use them as reference to rebuild those maps again. Import them and draw new brushes aligned with the old geometry. As you proceed, delete the old converted/scrambled brushes.
GlueDrinker
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Aug 16th, '11, 7:26 pm

Re: Converting Problems ( .obj / .3ds -> to -> .bsp or .map

Postby Rust7 » Apr 25th, '19, 8:37 am

Le another black niger wrote:method: using radiant, which can load both these formats


Nothing loads in, as I import them.

GlueDrinker wrote:As I told you, what you're asking for cannot be done: once the brushes are turned into triangles, there's no way to go back. A tree cannot be turned back into a seed and eggs cannot be uncooked.

What you _can_ do is take the .map files I sent you 2.5 years ago and use them as reference to rebuild those maps again. Import them and draw new brushes aligned with the old geometry. As you proceed, delete the old converted/scrambled brushes.


I forgot about this, but okay. By the way, I don't have those .map-s anymore, backtracking these inside my e-mail was also a failure, probably deleted accidently.
User avatar
Rust7
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Oct 14th, '10, 4:12 pm
Location: Hungary

Re: Converting Problems ( .obj / .3ds -> to -> .bsp or .map

Postby Le another black niger » Apr 25th, '19, 11:33 am

Rust7 wrote:Nothing loads in, as I import them.

Can't be true, send the models to try.

GlueDrinker wrote:cannot be done

It can, even with texture alignments: compile with autoclip, decompile, wrap merge brushes back.
Le another black niger
 
Posts: 379
Joined: May 17th, '11, 5:08 pm

Re: Converting Problems ( .obj / .3ds -> to -> .bsp or .map

Postby GlueDrinker » Apr 25th, '19, 1:07 pm

Rust7 wrote:I forgot about this, but okay. By the way, I don't have those .map-s anymore, backtracking these inside my e-mail was also a failure, probably deleted accidently.

I just sent you those files again.

Le another black niger wrote:
GlueDrinker wrote:cannot be done

It can, even with texture alignments: compile with autoclip, decompile, wrap merge brushes back.

Well, try then. Even if this method succeeds, topology is probably going to be a mess as the original brush structure is lost. The 'clean' way is to rebuild the maps.
GlueDrinker
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Aug 16th, '11, 7:26 pm

Re: Converting Problems ( .obj / .3ds -> to -> .bsp or .map

Postby Rust7 » Apr 25th, '19, 9:30 pm

GlueDrinker wrote:
Rust7 wrote:I forgot about this, but okay. By the way, I don't have those .map-s anymore, backtracking these inside my e-mail was also a failure, probably deleted accidently.

I just sent you those files again.

Le another black niger wrote:
GlueDrinker wrote:cannot be done

It can, even with texture alignments: compile with autoclip, decompile, wrap merge brushes back.

Well, try then. Even if this method succeeds, topology is probably going to be a mess as the original brush structure is lost. The 'clean' way is to rebuild the maps.


Thanks, I'll take a look at them, as soon as I can ;)

The thing is, nothing "appears" after a massive loading time.
User avatar
Rust7
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Oct 14th, '10, 4:12 pm
Location: Hungary

Re: Converting Problems ( .obj / .3ds -> to -> .bsp or .map

Postby Le another black niger » Apr 26th, '19, 10:17 pm

both 3ds and obj work, models are not fairly large
1.png

compiled, decompiled
2.png

selected something
3.png

merged
4.png

snapped
5.png

i suspect that this would be the fastest way to go
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Le another black niger
 
Posts: 379
Joined: May 17th, '11, 5:08 pm

Next

cron