Board index mDd Board Rule finding board

what punishment is appropriate for cheating?

This stays here as long as it takes to work out the new server rules

Re: what punishment is appropriate for cheating?

Postby ZyaX » Dec 20th, '09, 2:02 pm

Doesn't lifetime bane and delete all records practically have the same effect?

If all your recs are deleted you start over from square 1 with same acc ID.

If your acc is banned and all your recs are deleted you start over from square 1 with different acc ID. (as in you just create a new acc)
ZyaX
Voice of Reason

Postby hAIRLESS bEAR » Dec 20th, '09, 5:12 pm

eS-AL|EN wrote:
mc'avenGer wrote:
mc'avenGer wrote:Alien care's cheating that much not even playing on the server at all=)

Olympic Judges don't play at all 8-)

Comparing quake to olympics, nice, very nice.
hAIRLESS bEAR

Postby AL!EN » Dec 20th, '09, 5:44 pm

ZyaX wrote:Doesn't lifetime bane and delete all records practically have the same effect?

If your acc is banned and all your recs are deleted you start over from square 1 with different acc ID. (as in you just create a new acc)

Nope. Ban = ip range ban so you cannot even connect to server, you must change internet provider :) :D :lol:
"strafe is the most important 'weapon' in defrag" - <hk>
AL!EN

Postby ZyaX » Dec 20th, '09, 8:56 pm

eS-AL|EN wrote:
ZyaX wrote:Doesn't lifetime bane and delete all records practically have the same effect?

Nope. Ban = ip range ban so you cannot even connect to server, you must change internet provider :) :D :lol:

That is a bad temporary solution. Sure, the defrag community isn't that large that chances are that you would ban 2 or more people by banning an ip range. But it isn't impossible to happen. Also when you're talking about lifetime bans, this means that this ip would be banned for as long as these servers will exist. It could happen that a banned person who has stopped playing the game moves somewhere else, and in his apartment another person moves in who wants to play df on mdd servers. But no, your ip is banned mister :P

And yes, it might be a bit bothersome to change ISP, but for most companies here in Sweden you will not pay any fee to change provider. The only thing that happens is that you pay the same amount to another company the next months.
And also, you can just order an anonymity service for like €15 for a 3 month period and you get a new ip address.

<hk> wrote:What cheat should result in which punishment?

As an instance i don't think mwheeling is worth deleting a whole account for. What other measures are out there to punish somebody for playing unfair?

I am surprised that this idea comes from you hk. Because hand picking records to delete would mean more work for you and your colleagues. And just undoing the exact thing that someone has done is not really a punishment is it?
If I murder a person and then jesus comes along and resurrects him, am I punished then?
ZyaX
Voice of Reason

Postby mc'avenGer » Dec 21st, '09, 4:39 am

btw some providers has got ip changing each time connecting=)
mc'avenGer

Postby |PsY|blumen » Dec 21st, '09, 5:13 am

i use and always used moveup;attack, and i will always use it
|PsY|blumen
sparkle bunny

Postby [gt]glm » Dec 21st, '09, 7:57 am

hm... AL|EN so care about cheating on mdd servers, but he even dont play here! so weird :? (ping higher than 50 dont looks convincingly)

imho deleting all records for simple binding +moveup on mwheel or 2 commands for one key - its too much.
or if someone say "here i used this stuff and bla bla bla..." and then post demo by himself - deleting all record its also too much

ps. still in DB 15 pages of cheating records, nobody cares. double standards... so ironically
[gt]glm

Postby Hastur » Dec 21st, '09, 4:30 pm

how about this proposal then :D

I could be brain-farting now, but do think about it before discarding it as a useless idea.

only segments of the records get deleted ! and depending on how badly you cheat, the larger the deleted portion will be. like for example, mwheeling warrants a 20% deletion of records, and make sure you get the best times too :p just to make it sting a little. other types of cheats can warrant a 100% record deletion. also, we can add the "buttface of shame" to the persons account name. the buttface of shame looks like this " >:3". just so we all know who cheated so we can boycott them further more.

All in favour of the buttface of shame, say "Ai"!
"When in doubt, use a quote" - Myoujou
Hastur
Voice of Reason

Postby <hk> » Dec 21st, '09, 5:27 pm

I don't think deleting 20% is a alternative. By what criteria should those 20% be selected?
The only way i could think of is deleting all top10 times. These can be beaten easily without cheats.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby hAIRLESS bEAR » Dec 21st, '09, 7:33 pm

I wouldn't say top10 times get beaten easily...
hAIRLESS bEAR

Previous