Should this helper be free to use?

This is not cheat
69%
This is cheat
31%

Total votes : 45

Re: OK: Interference

Postby lovet<--ater » Oct 24th, '09, 12:05 pm

Holding buttons and doors is what makes offline maps into online maps, eliminates the randomness. If you get a rule that forbids holdig of stuff, some *** will slip trough that door and rape everyone elses time. So stop ******* around and let us hold the door or button or whatever.

As the poll says most active players I think would agree that everyone gets more out of the map when they dont get frustrated over some shitty door opening randomly. A perfect run on such a map would be that all the doors randomly got opened for you, why not give everyone the opportunity to make the "perfect run"?

Should ATLEST be allowed in fastcap, otherwise its ****. But also on other maps, otherwise people wont play those maps, its like killing maps really.
lovet<--ater

Postby <hk> » Oct 24th, '09, 2:29 pm

lovet<--ater wrote:Should ATLEST be allowed in fastcap, otherwise its ****.

You are one week to late with that post. The door opening in fast caps is beyond question.

I am talking about maps like "e1m2". You have to take a detour to push a button. In that case it's unfair. Doors opened by buttons have nothing to do with doors opening too slow which is the main issue in fastcaps mode 2. Anyone ever though of such maps instead of posting here in blind rage?

Also self censorship is pretty lame. We are not afraid of "bad" words.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby lovet<--ater » Oct 24th, '09, 5:19 pm

Still some sneaky players will slip through an open door if they see one. And when the button gets closer to the door and you have to press it with your playermodel people will just run through an open door. Imagine those maps with like 10+ players playing at the same time, doors will get bypassed.

Buttons and w/ev == single player =! online

I dont know why i cencored, never done it before. As you can see I didnt read single post before I posted and thought we were polite.
lovet<--ater

Postby $$-albion » Oct 24th, '09, 5:44 pm

Still, it's been a long time since I've seen a new map which needs you to open doors with buttons and stuff.
So maybe if the mappers keep up with this, you could make a rule for that. Something like: "Thou shall not make maps of which you are not sure if interference is not an advantage."

Although that's pretty weird, cause that's actually moving the problem to the mappers, acting like it's their fault...

Ok, I'm out of this discussion! Before some mapper goes batshit and starts stalking me and kills me in my sleep :(
$$-albion

Postby AL!EN » Oct 24th, '09, 7:35 pm

[eL]albion wrote:Still, it's been a long time since I've seen a new map which needs you to open doors with buttons and stuff.
So maybe if the mappers keep up with this, you could make a rule for that. Something like: "Thou shall not make maps of which you are not sure if interference is not an advantage."

Although that's pretty weird, cause that's actually moving the problem to the mappers, acting like it's their fault...

Ok, I'm out of this discussion! Before some mapper goes batshit and starts stalking me and kills me in my sleep :(

Because it is mappers problem. There are no problems with maps when online df wasn't exist. Now things have changed. They must know what they create and even if some maps can be destroyed with those methods, mapper get lesson and his next map will be free from those elements. It is pure map problem like TR, but TR problem was solved by those nice invisible walls. For those buttons/doors mappers should do the same stuff: find a way to keep offline gameplay with rules same as online or remove doors/buttons.
"strafe is the most important 'weapon' in defrag" - <hk>
AL!EN

Postby >luci< » Oct 25th, '09, 4:28 pm

eS-AL|EN wrote:
[eL]albion wrote:Still, it's been a long time since I've seen a new map which needs you to open doors with buttons and stuff.

Because it is mappers problem. There are no problems with maps when online df wasn't exist. Now things have changed. They must know what they create and even if some maps can be destroyed with those methods, mapper get lesson and his next map will be free from those elements. It is pure map problem like TR, but TR problem was solved by those nice invisible walls. For those buttons/doors mappers should do the same stuff: find a way to keep offline gameplay with rules same as online or remove doors/buttons.

+1
>luci<

Postby wsad 920NW » Oct 15th, '10, 1:13 pm

Yeah I know this thread is a year old already but have only just seen it and being a mapper myself, wanted to voice my opinion.

IMHO it's not the mappers fault at all, it's the developers/programmers or whatever of DF. They should be aware that this could be an option for players, thus they should correct it in the new version of DF.

Yes holding doors open and dead clients constantly pressing buttons to give other players an unfair advantage, Yeah it's kinda gay when a record gets set with aids/helpers but at the end of the day, without client sided doors and buttons, you can't evade it. Client sided doors and buttons, sounds like a good plan to me.

I have voted 'yes it is a cheat' not because technically it isn't a cheat, but because more care and thought should have gone in by the coders etc from the start. They should have known this would be a problem from the outset.
wsad 920NW

Postby $$-albion » Oct 15th, '10, 7:50 pm

wsad 920NW wrote:IMHO it's not the mappers fault at all, it's the developers/programmers or whatever of DF. They should be aware that this could be an option for players, thus they should correct it in the new version of DF.

Is already done with the client sided entities :p
$$-albion

Postby wsad 920NW » Oct 16th, '10, 11:43 am

Really? So why can other players still interfere with peoples runs?
wsad 920NW

Postby MidiMightyMoe » Oct 16th, '10, 1:43 pm

Because it's 1.92 feature, and since 1.92 is still in beta we play on 1.91.
MidiMightyMoe

PreviousNext