Should this helper be free to use?

This is not cheat
74%
This is cheat
26%

Total votes : 38

Re: Pre compiled Quake binarys

Postby hykon.se » Oct 14th, '09, 8:15 am

eS-AL|EN wrote:Yes. And until you revile yourself i suggest you to shut the fuck up. For you information: it might be one more change that you will not understand.

Physics are server dependent, not client dependent. Defrag 1.92 (server) has inconsistency, but nothing else. So I suggest you stop acting like a know-it-all if you think that dfengine.exe is what handles physics. :roll:
hykon.se

Postby AL!EN » Oct 14th, '09, 11:35 am

"I, Arcaon, Is openly Gay" wrote:Physics are server dependent, not client dependent. Defrag 1.92 (server) has inconsistency, but nothing else. So I suggest you stop acting like a know-it-all if you think that dfengine.exe is what handles physics. :roll:

I know that, but if people start to use DFEngine for recording offline demos it will be problem in future. Speedcapture already don't accept demos that was recorded via anything else that quake3.exe. Let's avoid those future problems.
"strafe is the most important 'weapon' in defrag" - <hk>
AL!EN

Postby joko » Oct 14th, '09, 10:44 pm

original q3 is so outdated it would be foolish to only accept times with it. And as a linux user it would mean i couldnt play at all anymore for no good reason; what are the physics inconsistencies you speak of?

Tbh this whole cheater witchhunt is worse than the few cheaters :roll:
joko

Postby $$-albion » Oct 15th, '09, 9:54 am

joko wrote:original q3 is so outdated it would be foolish to only accept times with it. And as a linux user it would mean i couldnt play at all anymore for no good reason; what are the physics inconsistencies you speak of?

Tbh this whole cheater witchhunt is worse than the few cheaters :roll:

True dat, but I'm still doing it, just for the lulz 8-)
$$-albion

Postby ZyaX » Oct 18th, '09, 9:21 pm

Ye, I guess this could be allowed for a few of the more well-known and serious pre-compiled quake binaries that the people with knowledge has good insight in, so that it is known if it has any "haxcode" in it :p
ZyaX
Voice of Reason

Postby Camping_Gaz_14K » Oct 19th, '09, 1:54 pm

hykon.se wrote:[...]if you think that dfengine.exe is what handles physics. :roll:

It does handle quite a lot of the physics, mind you, and it's broken thus not allowed on speedcapture.com anymore.
Camping_Gaz_14K

Postby <hk> » Oct 23rd, '09, 7:30 pm

OK, People seem to want this. Well, i am for it. But what's the difference between modifying quake3 your self and downloading the executable from someone else. The easiest way to solve this is a list of allowed binary repositories.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby $$-albion » Oct 23rd, '09, 9:20 pm

<hk> wrote:OK, People seem to want this. Well, i am for it. But what's the difference between modifying quake3 your self and downloading the executable from someone else. The easiest way to solve this is a list of allowed binary repositories.

Seconded :D
$$-albion

Re: OK: Pre compiled Quake binarys

Postby <hk> » Oct 24th, '09, 2:49 am

I hate lists of exceptions.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby -MdC-uZuskaya » Feb 6th, '10, 2:43 pm

Is this discussion closed?
As a coder of a custom engine, based on ioq3, I'd like to know wether it can be used with mDd servers.

eS-AL|EN wrote:If we don't allow own binary modifications because: "Custom executable are not Quake 3" (C) Camping_Gaz (this means even DFEngine)

Nice tautology but another one is that "Defrag is not Quake3" :)
If you really want to stand on this, you should then disallow CPM and all stuff that Defrag has which wasn't in original q3a ;)

Camping_Gaz_14K wrote:It does handle quite a lot of the physics, mind you, and it's broken thus not allowed on speedcapture.com anymore.

Could you give more infos on this physics code handled by the client engine?
Looking at the dfengine diffs, I can't see which part may affect the physics of the game, but I'd pleased to learn more about it.
-MdC-uZuskaya

PreviousNext