Should this helper be free to use?

This is not cheat
74%
This is cheat
26%

Total votes : 38

Re: OK: Pre compiled Quake binarys

Postby ZyaX » Feb 9th, '10, 1:13 am

Discussion is still open imo, but I don't think that many people are interested in it any more, since a conclusion has been made. But if you have strong arguments I think some people will probably participate again.
ZyaX
Voice of Reason

Postby $$-albion » Feb 9th, '10, 1:07 pm

ZyaX wrote:Discussion is still open imo, but I don't think that many people are interested in it any more, since a conclusion has been made. But if you have strong arguments I think some people will probably participate again.

Your first sentence is totally contradicting itself :p And two: there are no strong cons against these binaries, well those like dfengine, ioq3, cnq3 and shit :p hell I wouldn't even be able to play quake otherwise :o
$$-albion

Postby ZyaX » Feb 10th, '10, 2:08 am

eL-albion wrote:Your first sentence is totally contradicting itself :p And two: there are no strong cons against these binaries, well those like dfengine, ioq3, cnq3 and shit :p hell I wouldn't even be able to play quake otherwise :o

That depends on how open your mind is :)
ZyaX
Voice of Reason

Postby -MdC-uZuskaya » Feb 10th, '10, 6:11 pm

I don't specifically want to re-open a discussion if it's closed already and annoy people.
If the main idea is to allow only some engines, I'd like to know how and why an engine could be allowed or not.
After all it's not that important but I'd like to have a good understanding of the whole thing.
-MdC-uZuskaya

Postby <hk> » Feb 11th, '10, 2:20 am

There are engine modifications that are considerd OK by the community like an automatic map downloader. But there are also things that also require modifying the binary that are pretty bad. Things like strafe bots or input modifications like -128 or khetti's strafe angle limiter.
Most cool features are implemented in the engines that are freely available and accepted by the rules. I can't think of something that is missing.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby ally is a cheater » Feb 11th, '10, 4:46 pm

winamp spam, a cup horder
ally is a cheater

Postby -MdC-uZuskaya » Feb 11th, '10, 6:33 pm

I do agree that custom binaries made for the purpose of cheating/gaining advantage/providing disadvantage to another is something which shouldn't be allowed.
But as I said, as a coder of an engine (actually an engine which is part of a whole project), I'm sure you can understand that I rather prefer using it, especially to test and validate its behaviour; thus my request to know how an engine could be allowed.

<hk> wrote:Most cool features are implemented in the engines that are freely available and accepted by the rules. I can't think of something that is missing.

I kinda agree too, but still, some engine have funcs that another one has not, which is why, for instance, I started to port the dfengine's features to ioq3.
-MdC-uZuskaya

Postby Phoenix » May 5th, '10, 10:31 pm

This topic's pretty old but I would like to give my input.

I disappeared from the q3 scene completely a few years ago due to an addiction to a different game as well as switching to mac. The biggest problem for me was that my q3 cd only contained the windows .exe and although I was able to find a mac version of the original q3 engine it was very buggy and crashed consistently. It was too annoying to play on. It wasn't until a few years afterwards that I even found out about different q3 binaries such as ioquake3 that I was able to play again. So to disallow them completely seems like it's going a bit too far imo however I can say there is a bug in the physics of the ioquake3 engine that allows jumps that can't be done in the original quake3.exe. I made a demo of it for marky to send to the ioquake3 developers to hopefully fix it but as of now it still exists ... if I can dig it up I'll post it here.

This is no longer relevant to me as I bought windows 7 to dual boot on my mac so I'm now running the original quake3.exe again but I don't believe it would be fair to restrict players from mdd servers based on their choice of operating system.
Phoenix

Postby -MdC-uZuskaya » Jun 13th, '10, 9:10 am

Phoenix wrote:... however I can say there is a bug in the physics of the ioquake3 engine that allows jumps that can't be done in the original quake3.exe. I made a demo of it for marky to send to the ioquake3 developers to hopefully fix it but as of now it still exists ... if I can dig it up I'll post it here.

the 'bug' you're talking about is not an ioq3 bug and has been solved monthes ago; the different behaviour is caused by the compiler options, not the code.
-MdC-uZuskaya

Postby <hk> » Jun 13th, '10, 11:09 am

Also the client has no influence on physic behavior.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

PreviousNext