Should this helper be free to use?

This is not cheat
74%
This is cheat
26%

Total votes : 38

OK: Pre compiled Quake binarys

Postby <hk> » Oct 12th, '09, 9:01 pm

Since, not everyone seems to be pleased with the current server rules i suggest we develop new rules for the server here in this thread. Please try to find rules that have as least exceptions as possible. I want this to be constructive, so please make short posts which concentrate on essential things. Stay on Topic and do not spam.

There are too many versions of quake3 compatible clients out there to keep track. To name a few "original Quake3", "ioquake", "cgg's dfengine", "cnq3", "Open Arena", ...

Which quake clients should be allowed on the mDd servers?
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Re: Pre compiled Quake binarys

Postby <hk> » Oct 12th, '09, 9:03 pm

There is a version of the dfengine out there that allows you to turn of any kind of fog. This helps a lot on maps where fog prevents you from seeing pads in time. That's not OK.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby ZyaX » Oct 13th, '09, 11:37 am

I really don't know what sort of advantage those custom binaries can have on gameplay.

But when it comes to fog. If a mapper chose to add fog for increased difficulty, then it should remain that way. On the other hand, if there are already times set on the online scoreboard with removed fog, then I hope that they could be removed so this rule could be passed.

However I think it's a bit overboard to ban a custom binary just because you could break the rules with it. Maybe I'm not being consequent with this statement. :x
ZyaX
Voice of Reason

Postby $$-albion » Oct 13th, '09, 4:43 pm

Voted for this is a cheat, cause I just love that button ;D

Could anyone give me some examples of these pre-compiled binaries??? :D Too lazy to search for them myself :p
$$-albion

Postby AL!EN » Oct 13th, '09, 7:22 pm

If we don't allow own binary modifications because: "Custom executable are not Quake 3" (C) Camping_Gaz (this means even DFEngine)

Only solution is: quake3.exe allowed. Case closed. If you want to quick ALT-TAB then use Minimizor 1.8.

We will never know what people will invent to cheat.
"strafe is the most important 'weapon' in defrag" - <hk>
AL!EN

Postby AL!EN » Oct 13th, '09, 8:50 pm

This point can change if server admins want to detect quake3.exe modifications. Then cnq3, DFEngine and ioq3 can be allowed.
AL!EN

Postby <hk> » Oct 13th, '09, 9:27 pm

Checking if somebody uses something other than the Quake3.exe is pretty easy but not fair though. I know players wo use Open Arena because they don't own a copy of Quake3. I use IOquake because it's the same as the original quake3 but stripped of all the little bugs and unreadable code. I am not willing to go back to quake3.exe. Are you?
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby AL!EN » Oct 13th, '09, 9:37 pm

<hk> wrote:Checking if somebody uses something other than the Quake3.exe is pretty easy but not fair though. I know players wo use Open Arena because they don't own a copy of Quake3. I use IOquake because it's the same as the original quake3 but stripped of all the little bugs and unreadable code. I am not willing to go back to quake3.exe. Are you?

I was thinking about something like this:
quake3.exe(HASH: 892347294020) - allowed
cnq3.exe 1.43 (HASH: 5324534520) - allowed
ioquake3-1.36-3.1.x86.exe (HASH: 7465465420) - allowed
DFEngine.exe 1.07 (HASH: 892347294052435 ) - allowed

if you can detect executable in such way, then no problem with using them. But beware: DFWC will be only at quake3.exe since all pre compiled Quake binarys have physic inconsistencies.
AL!EN

Postby hykon.se » Oct 13th, '09, 10:29 pm

eS-AL|EN wrote:But beware: DFWC will be only at quake3.exe since all pre compiled Quake binarys have physic inconsistencies.

No.
hykon.se

Postby AL!EN » Oct 14th, '09, 12:31 am

"I, Arcaon, Is openly Gay" wrote:
eS-AL|EN wrote:But beware: DFWC will be only at quake3.exe since all pre compiled Quake binarys have physic inconsistencies.

No.

Yes. And until you revile yourself i suggest you to shut the fuck up. For you information: it might be one more change that you will not understand.
AL!EN

Next