Board index mDd Board Rule finding board

General Discussion

This stays here as long as it takes to work out the new server rules

Re: General Discussion

Postby <hk> » Nov 1st, '09, 4:28 am

Summary of the other threads:
I just compiled the rules found in the other threads to a single rule text and added some more to make certain things sure. Please state you opinion and (dis)approval. These rules are still open for discussion.

Note that "+moveup; +attack" is cheat by these rules. The same goes for any use of "+left/+right". This may not be cheat. But it's still not acceptible. Baning these makes it easyer for me to write anti cheat software. It's not sportsmanlike anyway imho. But everything is still open for discussion.

Also note that Player interference and pre-built binarys are not in there. We still have to find a list of client binarys that are allowed.I think that pretty much all of them are allowed. But we better make a white list and add items on demand. The versions change on a daily basis so i won't maintain a hashlist.

List(version 1): "idsoftware quake3, ioquake3, OpenArena, cgg's dfengine and cnq3".

Binary Cheats:
  • "It's not allowed modify the quake3 nor the defrag binary files in any way that modifies physical behavior, network code or the input interface."
  • "It's not allowed to modify the memory used by defrag with external programs during runtime."
  • "It's not allowed to drop nor delay packets(network) on purpose."

Scripting Cheats:
  • "It's not allowed to execute a sequence of commands(triggered by software or hardware) that affect physical player behavior using predefined timing and order."
  • "It is not allowed to use external means to time player actions(jumping, shooting, view direction change)."

Account Pollicy:
  • "It's not allowed to give out your account's login data to other people."
  • "You are not allowed to play using another players account."
  • "It is not allowed to have more than one account per person."

Not acceptable behaviour: (this is notnecessarily cheat)
  • "It is not allowed to change your view angles(direction the player is facing) with other means than moving the mouse."
  • "It is not allowed to bind any actions that alter the movement of a player to your mouse wheel."
  • "Every player has to adjust the network settings to have the least possible packet loss and (if possible) ping(latency)"
  • "Be polite, talk english preferably, respect others."
  • "If something is not forbidden do not think it is allowed. You shouldn't tinker anyway."
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby khtti » Nov 1st, '09, 5:09 am

* "It's not allowed modify the quake3 nor the defrag binary files in any way
* "It's not allowed to modify the memory used by defrag with external programs during runtime."
* "It's not allowed to drop nor delay packets(network) on purpose."
* "It is not allowed to change your view angles(direction the player is facing) with other means than moving the mouse."
* "It is not allowed to bind any actions that alter the movement of a player to your mouse wheel."
* "Every player has to adjust the network settings to have the least possible packet loss and (if possible) ping(latency)"

1. total failure of logic, it prevents no cheats yet removes some useful features
2. not enforceable
3. not enforceable
4. dumb rule, what if i want to play on a laptop, tablet pc, or use an input device that isnt a mouse etc?
5. why? stairwheels remove randomness while enabling new routes on some maps, and the 'normal' way is even more open to abuse
6. not enforceable

So, when are you going to wipe the db?
These new rules require it.

btw you keep stating that the rules are up for discussion, but you are incapable of having such a discussion, as you've repeatedly contradicted yourself re: justification for certain attitudes and methods.

so, which is it? are you ever going to rationally discuss these things or just impose your will?

something tells me that youll keep running from the truth :roll:
khtti

Postby -O-marky » Nov 1st, '09, 5:29 am

<hk> wrote:Summary of the other threads:
Also note that Player interference and pre-built binarys are not in there. We still have to find a list of client binarys that are allowed.I think that pretty much all of them are allowed. But we better make a white list and add items on demand. The versions change on a daily basis so i won't maintain a hashlist.

List(version 1): "idsoftware quake3, ioquake3, OpenArena, cgg's dfengine and cnq3".

Binary Cheats:
  • "It's not allowed modify the quake3 nor the defrag binary files in any way that modifies physical behavior, network code or the input interface."

Turbo disagree. I prefer my custom client with my own fixes and improvements, why should I be limited to Quake3.exe/ioQuake3.exe/OpenArena/Cgg's dfengine/cnq3? Regardless, it's unenforceable anyways.
-O-marky

Postby <hk> » Nov 1st, '09, 5:36 am

khtti wrote:1. total failure of logic, it prevents no cheats yet removes some useful features

I tend to disagree. Cheat's like -128 are covered by this rule. If you want usefull features suggest them to ioquake3. They are pretty forthcoming.

khtti wrote:2. not enforceable
3. not enforceable
6. not enforceable

Doesn't matter. Things change.

khtti wrote:4. dumb rule, what if i want to play on a laptop, tablet pc, or use an input device that isnt a mouse etc?

Name some and we will discuss that here. If required we will adapt this rule.

khtti wrote:5. why? stairwheels remove randomness while enabling new routes on some maps, and the 'normal' way is even more open to abuse

Because people made a descision. (thread)

The rest of khetti's post is off-topic.

" " wrote:I prefer my custom client with my own fixes and improvements, why should I be limited [...]?

Please name some useful fixes and improvements.
Also, because people made a descision. (thread)
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby -O-marky » Nov 1st, '09, 6:02 am

Good to see some players who found a way to hook the Q3 engine (or just happened to google and find a client hook) to cheat ruined it for those who use custom q3 clients legitimately.

Anyways, as I said. Best of luck enforcing this.
-O-marky

Postby ZyaX » Nov 1st, '09, 1:40 pm

<hk> wrote:
  • "It's not allowed to modify the memory used by defrag with external programs during runtime."
  • "It's not allowed to drop nor delay packets(network) on purpose."

I think there might be a few leaks here. The wording: "during runtime". Players could be using some external program for a prejump and then stop using it as they cross the timer or grab the flag, and say that they didn't use during runtime, just before. I think... at least.

The wording: "on purpose". Players could say "oh that wasn't on purpose!" :P? Or is there a way to find out if it was on purpose or not?
ZyaX
Voice of Reason

Postby <hk> » Nov 1st, '09, 3:09 pm

ZyaX wrote:The wording: "during runtime".

You are right, that is indeed misleading. In software terms this refers to the runtime of the binary. As long defrag or quake3 is executed this rule is true.

ZyaX wrote:The wording: "on purpose". Players could say "oh that wasn't on purpose!" :P? Or is there a way to find out if it was on purpose or not?

You can always tell if lags are on purpose. Lags are usually random and equally spread over time. If players start to fake random lags they loose the advantage. Also you can tell by older recordings.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby <hk> » Nov 8th, '09, 7:20 pm

Since there was no activity here for some time now. I made that rules active.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Previous