77%
no
16%
don't care
7%

Total votes : 122

Re: Should walllingering be banned?

Postby Arcaon » Jun 26th, '13, 11:17 am

You are all neglecting the part where wallbugs are painfully boring and skill-independent.

(The table is not subjective at all.)

And since someone will answer "the skill is in finding them": I'd say it's about as hard as typing !top.
Arcaon

Postby jesus » Jun 26th, '13, 3:26 pm

+1 from me on a rank 0 too for wb too

<hk> wrote:thats true, but neither the database or the website could handle that. everthing would have to be rewritten. At the pace we are going nowwe are looking at implementing that in 2015.

would open sourcing be an option, we could contribute patches which you would approve and pull
jesus

Postby <hk> » Jun 26th, '13, 4:11 pm

No Idea, the website is not my area.
However, we shared web code with others before and contributions back, but it either took a long time or NM wasn't happy with the result. :/
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby [duFF]ZoneZer0 » Jun 27th, '13, 3:46 am

[gt]neiT. wrote:Everyone is playing maps that already have normal times because they are EASY to beat - map specialy made for WB would have 1-3ranks AT MOST :hand:

I dont get it why do u ppl(people)(people) even fight about this. :roll:

w3sp-think17 has 24 times, and it's not easy to figure out (unless someone teaches you ofc :)). That freak bounce is a fun (ad fast) use of wb that no one considers anymore cause even if w3sp was a cheathaxmofo or w/e little people today use unkown bugs in maps as well as he did ;)
[duFF]ZoneZer0

Postby [gt]neiT. » Jun 27th, '13, 8:01 am

[duFF]ZoneZer0 wrote:
[gt]neiT. wrote:Everyone is playing maps that already have normal times because they are EASY to beat - map specialy made for WB would have 1-3ranks AT MOST :hand:

w3sp-think17 has 24 times

literally first map with wallbug.. What a shit example i must say...
why does this example is shit ? - Challenging map by w3sp, First of its kind MADE for wallbug.
[gt]neiT.

Postby dqopb » Jun 27th, '13, 10:32 am

[gt]neiT., I don't know many maps but the maps compact-quick, compact-pro and others are made with intended wallbugs too.

Arcaon, thank you for your table, it is quite reasonable. I'd set the time advantage to HIGH for GBs, TRs and OBs, but nevertheless. You made me pay attention to other aspects that I forgot.

I disagree that WBs require no skill. Less skill - yes. They are similar to air strafes, and may require some knowledge too.

No flow - agree, but personally I enjoy watching WB demos! We can always skip the lingering part by TS.
You dislike it, find it boring - don't play with wallbugs, and don't watch such demos. And as long as you stay in a different rank table, everybody knows you are a pro. Nobody cares that the WB record is faster than non-WB one.
dqopb

Postby Arcaon » Jun 27th, '13, 11:18 am

dqopb wrote:Arcaon, thank you for your table, it is quite reasonable. I'd set the time advantage to HIGH for GBs, TRs and OBs, but nevertheless. You made me pay attention to other aspects that I forgot.

Thanks! The thing is that I'm comparing use with non-use, and not using strafejumps on a strafe map, or weapons on a weapon map usually yields significantly slower times (~double the time) compared to the others (~a few seconds). Of course, it's still haphazardly put together and momentarily exaggerated.

dqopb wrote:I disagree that WBs require no skill. Less skill - yes. They are similar to air strafes, and may require some knowledge too.

The thing about air strafes is that you'll eventually fall to the ground, and therefore you still have to gain as much speed as possible in the shortest time possible. With wallbugs, you could slowly gain speed while finishing the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Wallbugs surely require knowledge, otherwise it wouldn't have taken 12 years before people used them. Knowledge doesn't equate skill, and this knowledge is comparable to "psst guys... there's a hidden grappling hook on this map."

dqopb wrote:No flow - agree, but personally I enjoy watching WB demos! We can always skip the lingering part by TS.
You dislike it, find it boring - don't play with wallbugs, and don't watch such demos. And as long as you stay in a different rank table, everybody knows you are a pro. Nobody cares that the WB record is faster than non-WB one.

Agreed!
Arcaon

Postby <hk> » Jun 27th, '13, 12:26 pm

[gt]neiT. wrote:literally first map with wallbug..

Think17 is a different type of bug. Similar but different. I never looked into how this works, though. I'd say it's the only map that got released on worldspawn that has this bug. It's SO obscure I'd exclude it from this vote and handle it seperately. If I recall correctly somebody called it "Z-Rebounce".
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby dqopb » Jun 27th, '13, 1:04 pm

Arcaon wrote:With wallbugs, you could slowly gain speed while finishing the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
You're right, agreed. + You made my day! :lol:
dqopb

Postby dS-kiddy » Jul 16th, '13, 6:18 pm

So when will it happen?..
dS-kiddy

PreviousNext