77%
no
16%
don't care
7%

Total votes : 122

Re: Should walllingering be banned?

Postby khetti » Jun 22nd, '13, 8:20 pm

I'd say the relevant question is "should it be banned in all cases," and my answer is no, there are too many potential positive uses.
I don't deny that it can be abused, but you're still exaggerating the danger: not every corner can be bugged, not every map has the obvious kind of cornered starts, and not every map benefits from wallbugs before the timer starts in the same way that not every map benefits from massive circle turn TRs, etc.

There are large numbers of maps where the optimal wallbug isn't even near the timer, I'd say just finding those is a skill a noob can't learn in minutes like you claim.
There is more subtlety to it than "find any map with a 90' corner at the start," and the simple ugly cases say nothing about the elegant ones.

As for it being unimpressive, who cares if what you've seen impresses you, I can tell by your exaggerations that you haven't seen much.
Any ban has to be on technical merit vs scope of destruction, not subjective preference.

The truth is that a minimum of maps are terminally broken by the bug, far less than you'd expect.
In a total ban, you'd be buying a few boring wide-open cpm strafemaps at the expense of all the more interesting and complex cases; in effect you'd be breaking your own argument of unimpressiveness.

EDIT:
Actually, I just thought of the perfect solution.
Store/display only the single fastest wallbugged time per physics, in rank 0.
The tables stay unpolluted, and the technique stays relevant.
khetti

Postby Arcaon » Jun 23rd, '13, 3:00 am

khetti wrote:EDIT:

This sounds like a good enough compromise to me.
Arcaon

Postby GPL » Jun 23rd, '13, 5:06 pm

Arcaon wrote:
khetti wrote:EDIT:

+1

This way the tables aren't crowded with silly times and it still gives the lingerers an incentive to compete with one another.
GPL

Postby <hk> » Jun 23rd, '13, 6:21 pm

thats true, but neither the database or the website could handle that. everthing would have to be rewritten. At the pace we are going nowwe are looking at implementing that in 2015.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby Kabcorp » Jun 24th, '13, 11:41 am

Wallbug is a good maths bug, but it's very unfair for others...
They should be banned! =)
Kabcorp

Postby [gt]neiT. » Jun 24th, '13, 3:47 pm

Arcaon wrote:
khetti wrote:EDIT:Actually, I just thought of the perfect solution.
Store/display only the single fastest wallbugged time per physics, in rank 0.The tables stay unpolluted, and the technique stays relevant.

+left,-128 exploit, rjscript, cjscript = banned and more... Why there should be exception for wallbug ? players have been using rjscript for ages and now its cheat same goes with +left... wallbug is there only like 1year.. i dont care about "solution" with "rank 0" - if you want to do this you might as well do "rank 01" for +left times and "rank 02" for -128 times etc... many players would appriciate that oportunity that they could use these things.
My opinion - no exceptions - erase and bann everyone who will abuse it like with +left and many more
[gt]neiT.

Postby amt-morbus » Jun 24th, '13, 6:32 pm

Possible but unlikely solution:
Introduce a new game mode like in ctf (disabling features as weapons\map objects).
amt-morbus

Postby dS-kiddy » Jun 24th, '13, 10:55 pm

[gt]neiT. wrote:
Arcaon wrote:
khetti wrote:EDIT:Actually, I just thought of the perfect solution.
Store/display only the single fastest wallbugged time per physics, in rank 0.The tables stay unpolluted, and the technique stays relevant.

+left,-128 exploit, rjscript, cjscript = banned and more... Why there should be exception for wallbug ? players have been using rjscript for ages and now its cheat same goes with +left... wallbug is there only like 1year.. i dont care about "solution" with "rank 0" - if you want to do this you might as well do "rank 01" for +left times and "rank 02" for -128 times etc... many players would appriciate that oportunity that they could use these things.
My opinion - no exceptions - erase and bann everyone who will abuse it like with +left and many more

+1!
dS-kiddy

Postby Le another black niger » Jun 25th, '13, 9:12 am

[gt]neiT. wrote:players have been using rjscript for ages and now its cheat

made my day :lol:
Le another black niger

Postby kairos » Jun 25th, '13, 9:53 am

EDIT: nevermind, that'll bring up a whole 'nother arguement
kairos

PreviousNext