Board index Off Topic random

FlagRaiders 2.0 Q3 Mod Published - And you can help!

You know what this means

FlagRaiders 2.0 Q3 Mod Published - And you can help!

Postby Gig » Jun 26th, '12, 11:16 pm

Hello everybody! :D
I wanted to tell you that is has been published version 2.0 of the "FlagRaiders" Quake 3 mod, made by the italian mapper Akom74.

It is a mod with some similarities with Defrag, so I thought it may interest you. Anyway, its goal was not to be a "Defrag clone", but simply "Akom's mod".

The player has to grab a flag and to pass through difficult passages and deadly traps (you have to use rocketjumps, stafejumps, plasmaclimbs, etc.).
In most maps there are no enemies to kill directly (however, it is possible to have two teams playing, thanks to the maps being divided into two identical parts), but however there are three "bonus maps" that support bot and provide an hybrid gameplay (you can kill enemies like in standard CTF, but you start from enemy base and there are three flags in each base).

It uses VQ3 physics, and can be played in Quake III Arena or in OpenArena (by using a Q3A2OA texture compatibilty pack).

FlagRaiders Official site is http://digilander.libero.it/flagraiders or http://digilander.iol.it/flagraiders

Here I'm also asking for your help, because we need a good player capable of creating good demos for the maps 6, 7 and 9, that are so difficult for us we are not capable to make proper demos for them. :whistle: :oops:

Thank you! :)
Last edited by Gig on Jun 28th, '12, 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gig

Re: FlagRaiders 2.0 Q3 Mod Published - And you can help!

Postby Le another black niger » Jun 27th, '12, 9:53 am

ten bux pls ok
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Le another black niger

Postby Gig » Jun 27th, '12, 3:24 pm

Melanous wrote:ten bux pls ok

I don't know what you mean with that... but I've seen the demos... man, you rock! :D :D :D :D
Thank you! :-)

Is it okay for you if we include such demos in an additional download, together with demos recorded by us? It is okay for you to be credited as "Melanous" or do you prefer to stay anonymous (I noticed there was no player name in the demos)?
Would you like to do a demo also for the map8? It's not so difficult by itself, but playing it with synchronousclients active makes things harder for us.

Hey, if you want, you may even record demos for all the SPCTF maps, and we may make a "Melanous demos package"...

PS: What do you think about the mod? Do you like it?

Bye!
Gig

Postby Gig » Jun 28th, '12, 8:14 am

Oops... I did an error in the first post. I erroneously linked my personal site (http://digilander.libero.it/gignetwork) -Italian only- instead of the FlagRaiders site (http://digilander.libero.it/flagraiders) -Italian and English-. Fortunately, you found the download anyway (my site contains links to FlagRaiders).
It was not intentional, it was just an error... fortunately, Akom74 noticed my error and informed me!

However, now I fixed the first post. Bye!
Gig

Postby Gig » Jun 29th, '12, 9:32 am

Guys, I hope you enjoyed the mod.

I have to say you to do not worry if I will not anwer to your posts in the next weeks. I will get married tomorrow and then I will not be online for some weeks. See you probably in the last week of July! Bye!

About the demos, I forgot to say that those we were searching for at the moment required to use default g_gravity, g_speed (320) and g_knockback (1000) values, and obviously no cheats. Just to be sure, Melanous, were those demos recorded with such default values and without other strange tweaks (e.g. timescale has to be 1, etc.), right?

If someone else wants to post his own demos, I will be glad to watch them when I will come back in some weeks! And they may be used when we will release the additional demos pack, if you wish. Bye!
Gig

Postby Le another black niger » Jun 29th, '12, 10:41 am

You can do whatever you want with those demos, with any credits or without.

playing it with synchronousclients active makes things harder for us

sv_fps 125

Why do you provide demos for so obvious and easy maps? Its fun to find the way to finish without tips.
I think including demos for about 1/3 of maps is enough to introduce and motivate.

What do you think about the mod?

Its wasted 12 years of development, man! Pretty useless mod.
What it actually does? Team vs team timered runs comparison? Did you ever play defrag? The only thing, not possible there, is ctf with bots.
Excessive mod also has timer for captures and bots.

Did you actually look those demos? I brought rocket to start in one of them. Could do that with haste and rocket in other one. Pretty exploitable dung.
Also those physics cvars. Mine are fine, but mod has to monitor and protect them (defrag does).

The only good thing is maps (which could rock in other mods-). They arent playable atm in defrag ctf due to reverted respawns. And well, df_mode_fastcaps 7 is not used a lot. But they have actual design of usual defrag maps, with flags instead of timers.
I liked spctfbonus and one with altered gravity.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Le another black niger

Postby Gig » Jun 29th, '12, 11:50 am

Well, we are not defraggers. We are not even "pro" q3 players. If we were good defraggers, we would not have needed your help! :D
Well, the idea of the mod was not to be an extra-hard defrag clone for "pro-pro-pro" players, but to give some entertainment to medium level baseQ3 players...
Anyway, about providing demos for such maps... because the mod's "target customer" is at lower level than pro Defrag players.... and for the simple sake of doing that! ;) And obviously, players are not forced to watch the demos. :)

I tried Defrag just a couple of times in my life, but I was no good at all with it, and moved trying different mods (Alternate fire, CorkScrew, ecc. ecc.). Then real life enters in and I almost never have time play Quake 3 or other games. It seems to me it's a life ago when I was used to play Quake3 the evenings, when I was younger... But we liked to publish the work we did many years ago. :)

About the problem in map7 of re-starting with haste and rocket, :oops: when I saw your demo (altough you did not use it), I realized we forgot to fix it when we fixed an identical issue with map4 some weeks ago. It would be fixed in case we would make an additional patch with a fixed GUI (in case our old coder wants to do another GUI from scratch... the current one has got some bugs because its source code has been lost years ago! Unfortunately, the current VM/GUI is an unfinished beta..)... who knows, maybe an hypotetical new version of the VM may include a "secure" mode where g_gravity, g_knockback, g_speed (and timescale... and... I don't know... ideas?) settings may be locked...

Can you explain better the thing about the rocket to the start? Do you mean in map6? Well, the rocket is given anyway just a few meters after the beginning... so we thought the advantage you can get by having it from the start would not have been too much (maybe we did not even thought about rocketjumpng from the flag to the checkpoint... but who remembers? That map has been ideated many years ago). Anyway, do you suggest to kill the player at the end in all maps, to avoid using rockets to get faster to the first checkpoint? Also in map8 you have a little of environment suit at the end, altough there are only few seconds left...

PS: what is "df_mode_fastcaps 7"? Uhm.. found out something here:
/df_mode_fastcaps [0-7] (default: 2)

Selects a preset config for the Fast Caps gametype.

0: enable custom settings
1: disable weapons, forbid jump-pads/teleporters/movers
2: enable weapons, allow jump-pads/teleporters/movers
3: disable weapons, allow jump-pads/teleporters/movers
4: enable weapons, forbid jump-pads/teleporters/movers
5: swinging hook
6: Quake3 hook
7: vanilla Quake3
Gig

Postby Le another black niger » Jun 29th, '12, 1:20 pm

Defrag has plenty of very (very!) easy maps :dance:
FlagRaiders maps are for medium skill level.

Your mod has pretty much issues, which are solved in defrag years ago.
You can explore and copy them.

Can you explain better the thing about the rocket to the start?

Any abusing advantage is abusing. That rocket can save 1-1.5 seconds.

df_mode_fastcaps 7 is similar to your mod gameplay. Other fc modes have locked health ;)
Le another black niger

Postby Gig » Jul 25th, '12, 5:13 pm

Hi! I'm back! Wedding went ok. :D
Did anyone else try the mod? :?:
Gig

Postby AL!EN » Jul 29th, '12, 10:22 am

I've try it and i have similar thoughts as "ok".
"strafe is the most important 'weapon' in defrag" - <hk>
AL!EN

Next