Board index Off Topic random

Glossar

You know what this means

Re: Glossar

Postby <hk> » Dec 20th, '10, 5:34 pm

This is also pretty counterproductive since you loose a lot of speed. The only useful way I can think of is making turns in VQ3 by slowing down the right amount to get a corner just right. It's hard to get right but probably doesn't deserve a name. On the other side, even the "Hero Hit" got named. :)
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby Phoenix » Dec 20th, '10, 6:52 pm

I'm not saying it's something that is used often but it does have it's place. I'm stuck on my shitty laptop for the holidays with 60 fps with 640x480 res, everything in 8 bit, 11 khz sound AND vertex lighting on so I can't produce anything that would be a good example of a good skim (by my definition) right now. I'm 99% certain the demo I have is from MF and if it's not him then it's cgaz defining it as a skim from 2004 or earlier. I've also played HORSE on dm6 in online fs servers back in the day where the first demo I posted was called a skim. I'm not trying to argue that it is a useful technique over just jumping but it would be something that would be useful in a low roof situation. Try landing the opc2 one up top where I show in my demo. It's not easy. And if it's simply "walking" then I challenge you to walk off that platform and clear the gap. Also, I have done a practical application of my skim in a run of mine that I'm not ready to release yet. It's not the same as simply just strafe jumping. The point of a glossary is to define terms pertaining to a certain subject (in this case: Quake 3 / Defrag). I'm not saying it has to be defined as a skim but given that it is not the same as just strafe jumping it does have a place. To say that I strafe jumped to the window would be wrong. It needs some sort of definition. If you don't want to call it a skim since over time you have defined the wall technique as that (which I could argue isn't much of a "trick" either tbh) then that's fine. I'm simply saying it should be defined as something.

I hope I'm just reading a few posts wrong because they could certainly do without the asshole tone. (And yes I realize the hypocrisy of that statement when I sound like an asshole in this post).
Phoenix

Postby ZyaX » Dec 20th, '10, 7:53 pm

Phoenix wrote:I'm not saying it's something that is used often but it does have it's place. I'm stuck on my shitty laptop for the holidays with 60 fps with 640x480 res, everything in 8 bit, 11 khz sound AND vertex lighting on so I can't produce anything that would be a good example of a good skim (by my definition) right now. I'm 99% certain the demo I have is from MF and if it's not him then it's cgaz defining it as a skim from 2004 or earlier. I've also played HORSE on dm6 in online fs servers back in the day where the first demo I posted was called a skim. I'm not trying to argue that it is a useful technique over just jumping but it would be something that would be useful in a low roof situation. Try landing the opc2 one up top where I show in my demo. It's not easy. And if it's simply "walking" then I challenge you to walk off that platform and clear the gap. Also, I have done a practical application of my skim in a run of mine that I'm not ready to release yet. It's not the same as simply just strafe jumping. The point of a glossary is to define terms pertaining to a certain subject (in this case: Quake 3 / Defrag). I'm not saying it has to be defined as a skim but given that it is not the same as just strafe jumping it does have a place. To say that I strafe jumped to the window would be wrong. It needs some sort of definition. If you don't want to call it a skim since over time you have defined the wall technique as that (which I could argue isn't much of a "trick" either tbh) then that's fine. I'm simply saying it should be defined as something.

I hope I'm just reading a few posts wrong because they could certainly do without the asshole tone. (And yes I realize the hypocrisy of that statement when I sound like an asshole in this post).

I never implied that your stunt didn't deserve a particular definition due to its level of difficulty. Walking can be hard enough, on tech maps by pea_impostor for example. As for naming it, it has a name. We say "fall off" or "walk off" the surface in question, compared to jump off.
In general when it comes to naming and defining different actions, it doesn't have to be only one word, it could be a phrase. As long as it is the spoken word of the community it fulfills its purpose.
You did strafe to the window though, even after you touched that last pad. Technically :)

<hk> wrote:This is also pretty counterproductive since you loose a lot of speed. The only useful way I can think of is making turns in VQ3 by slowing down the right amount to get a corner just right. It's hard to get right but probably doesn't deserve a name. On the other side, even the "Hero Hit" got named. :)

Me and XB I remember used to called it VQ3 turning or ground turning - when you stop for a split second on the ground to circle and then jump.

What's "Hero Hit"? :o
ZyaX
Voice of Reason

Postby esc?nebuLa » Dec 20th, '10, 8:01 pm

Here's Michael Flatley's "Godly" on opc2

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
https://www.facebook.com/TeamEventHorizon
#tricking_eh on irc.quakenet.org
esc?nebuLa

Postby ZyaX » Dec 20th, '10, 8:14 pm

If fact when I think about your trick there phoenix, it is quite closely related to ground turning /vq3 turning. But in your case you just glide off the surface in the same direction as when you landed upon it. If you would have changed your direction noticeably (say at least 30°) it could be constituted as ground turning.
ZyaX
Voice of Reason

Postby Phoenix » Dec 20th, '10, 8:23 pm

esc?nebuLa wrote:Here's Michael Flatley's "Godly" on opc2

Aha, there it is. And I stand corrected the demo name does not contain "skim" as I thought. I do still think it was referred to as such in the thread where it was posted though.
Phoenix

Postby ZyaX » Dec 20th, '10, 8:36 pm

Phoenix wrote:
esc?nebuLa wrote:Here's Michael Flatley's "Godly" on opc2

Aha, there it is. And I stand corrected the demo name does not contain "skim" as I thought. I do still think it was referred to as such in the thread where it was posted though.

Okay. But yours and MF's demo look pretty much the same, other than that he reaches the roof there. What is it that you're getting at?
ZyaX
Voice of Reason

Postby Phoenix » Dec 21st, '10, 2:01 am

Simply that it's a trick that has been done before and should have a name. That gap is a joke if you jump but to pull off MF's version w/o a jump is very difficult. Sure it's an unnecessary difficulty but freestyle is about exploration and there are a million and one tricks that are completely unnecessary or have elements in them that make them more difficult than they need to be.
Phoenix

Postby gund3r » Dec 31st, '10, 1:54 pm

Phoenix wrote:Simply that it's a trick that has been done before and should have a name. That gap is a joke if you jump but to pull off MF's version w/o a jump is very difficult. Sure it's an unnecessary difficulty but freestyle is about exploration and there are a million and one tricks that are completely unnecessary or have elements in them that make them more difficult than they need to be.

to be more accurate, i'd say that freestyle is about exploration of and within the given restrictions, and walking off a pad is more like setting up your own. And i can't come up with any other trick with the sole purpose of making gaps or tricks etc more difficult.
Last edited by gund3r on Feb 8th, '11, 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
gund3r

Postby TittenIgnition » Jan 22nd, '11, 4:53 am

i havent watched any of these demos yet, but from these posts im going to assume that phoenix's "skimming" is an incomplete circlejump, where you do the ground half of the CJ but dont jump, to clear short gaps and stuff. its not really commonly used, but if i were to think of a name for it, i would call it a short circle or something like that ;)
wtf i have a signature?
TittenIgnition

PreviousNext