Board index Off Topic random

Flying Multicopters

You know what this means

Flying Multicopters

Postby <hk> » Jul 3rd, '10, 12:02 am

Everyone needs an outdoor activity. Some skate, I fly my copters.

I fly quadrocopters. As the name suggest it has 4 rotors that turn pairwise into different directions. You steer them with a remote control with at least 4 channels. I use 8 to cycle through the various flight modes during flight.

A copter is an unstable system. This means it is not flyable without electronic stabilization. The software running on the copter alone prevents the copter from falling out of the sky. Just like the F22 or the Eurofighter. That's what makes it so awesome to steer. If you ever flew a model helicopter that's almost like flying a UFO(quadrocopter). When you crash you lift of immediately. The technology behind this is very robust and can only be damaged in very hard crashes that would destroy helicopters beyond repair for sure.

This guy flies a copter project named TT-Copter. Cheap(500 Euro) and made for fun flight and hovering.

This is a FPV fliegt. The Pilot sits in the grass on that hill looking through video goggles showing a live video feed from the copter. This is a comercial project called X-BL. It's the project I fly, too. It has the best software. Upper price range(900 Euro) and made for sport flight. He flies very careful here.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Re: Flying Multicopters

Postby 742617000027 » Jul 3rd, '10, 8:29 pm

What's the range of the remots? And do you need a special license to fly these?

Postby <hk> » Jul 4th, '10, 4:03 am

About 2 kilometers but a human can only steer these up to 100 meters away. It's just too hard to see. You don't need a license to fly these copters as long as you agree to some rules(in Germany):

The copter must be lighter than 5 kilograms.
You have to have an insurance that covers damage on things and people when you fuck up. You can kill people with these. This is not a toy.
You have to steer the copter your self at all times. No Automated route flying via GPS.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby 742617000027 » Jul 4th, '10, 4:10 pm

So in theory, you can fly from your home in a radius of 2 km around it with video goggles? I need this!

Postby Phoenix » Jul 4th, '10, 9:49 pm

742617000027 wrote:So in theory, you can fly from your home in a radius of 2 km around it with video goggles? I need this!

Sorry, they're far too loud for peeping on your hot neighbours :lol:
Phoenix

Postby <hk> » Jul 4th, '10, 11:27 pm

Phoenix wrote:
742617000027 wrote:Sorry, they're far too loud for peeping on your hot neighbours :lol:

Sorry to disappoint you but you actually can make them silent as a whisper. The effort depends on the load to carry though. More than 200g will be tricky.

You can't use the video downlink any farther than maybe 100 meters. Everything beyond that needs antennas and strong transmitters. You can go up to 500 meters i guess.

Flying over streets is a no go. When you loose the link and crash into a car, you are done for.
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby AL!EN » Jul 5th, '10, 10:01 am

WOW THAT IS AWESOME ! Since i remember when i was a kid i always wanted to have radio cars, airplanes and helicopters but for statistic Polish family those things are to expensive :ASD :cry:

But if i will earn my first million of polish zloty i will buy some toys that i always wanted 8-)
"strafe is the most important 'weapon' in defrag" - <hk>
AL!EN