Board index DeFRaG DeFRaG in general

Goodbye Defrag + last map

Are you really the best?

Goodbye Defrag + last map

Postby Bliccer » Nov 25th, '13, 1:41 am

Gosh, I actually can't believe that I am writing this thread here.
After all those years, hanging around in/on the famous opc forum, german-defrag.de, own-age.com, breakdown-hq.com and other sites, seeing map sites appear and disappear (q3a.sytes.net, jamster's mapbase, worldspawn), it is time to say goodbye to this gorgeous game.

I wasn't really active in the community since 2011 (or '10?). Played some maps here and there and sadly saw the overall quality of maps drop drastically (exceptions exist). Furthermore I have no contact to the current players/mappers around and lost the motivation in playing. It just doesn't feel like the time anymore when I stumbled into tricking.

Everything started with regular Q3A-Lanpartys. Some time I grabbed a video called "Tribulation" from one of those ultra big 10gb HDDs and it was mindblown. Those tricks synced to the music of Ozzy Osbourne, or Prodigy... and that outro track by Karl Jenkins. Just <3
After that I picked every video I could during the parties. Even without an internet connection I had a good amount of df/fs vids. Including classics such as Cetus 1+2, IT tricking movies, Kos Cpm Runs, and many more (everything can be found on igmdb.org). Then we finally got a 56K modem, and I googled for defrag runs... q3a.ath.cx was found. I downloaded letter per letter, played every map, got better and better and started creating maps. runbliccer still sucks :D, never heard of time resetting before.
I got addicted to playing Defrag and really invested a great amount of time of my life into this game. Also met great friends, online as well as in real life. Morbus, pan, kaffeewunder, MD, the mdd crew, Kos, bunny-burning, exkalibur, berserker, r1chu5, godfather, w3sp, shio, toulouz,

The "create your own stuff"-part in my life had its own positive aspects. It was a blast doing all the maps next to other great mappers, mainly the mapping clans cmc and amt (\o mega-teck, s0t3k, chronos, instazz, gund3r, th0ca, webas, sst13, Zlaugh2err, DaEngineer, xunderbird, zerg, spray, pigger, gh0st and others I probably have forgotten). Counting all the maps on ws, I released around 50 maps (bl!cc3r and bliccer). Actually a nice number.
Thanks to all who did collaboration maps with me!
I digged further and further into collaborating with others and participated in numerous (meanwhile dead) modifications and level competitions (maverick). Only q4run was pretty active... for half a year though :D
Besides level-designing I started movie making... and that's the aspect I really don't regret. I am studying this subject since several years now and I am going to work in this industry. This is also the reason why I have to quit this hobby of Defragging, to fully concentrate on the post-production.

Nevertheless I want to release one last map which is lying around on my HDD for some time now (since dfwc2012 exactly :D). I hope you can enjoy this last piece of mine, and hopefully you did with the other ones.

http://ws.q3df.org/map/acc_cath_rggl/ (<- there are 2 versions inside)

One more announcement: Before I totally vanish, I will also release one last movie with maze' demos around the beginning of next year (sorry maze :D) and a redesigned mappack of old maps.

So... at last. Thank you all for that great time and years! Defrag in total had a great influence on my music taste and on my whole life... no defrag - no movie making. I learned a lot about myself and how I am.
Thank you DeFRaG and Goodbye! o/
Bliccer

Re: Goodbye Defrag + last map

Postby khetti » Nov 25th, '13, 5:47 am

See you in 6 months!
khetti

Postby <hk> » Nov 25th, '13, 1:14 pm

One does not simply quit defrag.
You don't have to play it. Just stay in a high orbit around defrag so we can maintain radio communication. ;)
In a few years you may want to check out defrag for a sparetime movie or something.
Here you get all the green screen scenes for free. You can make a movie without having to pay for equipment or actors. Think about it. ;)
<hk>
Menstruating 24/7

Postby bla » Nov 27th, '13, 8:55 am

bb gl
bla

Postby [gt]tech » Nov 28th, '13, 8:18 pm

ITS NOT TRUE!
[gt]tech

Postby RetroHelix » Nov 30th, '13, 2:12 pm

<hk> wrote:Just stay in a high orbit around defrag so we can maintain radio communication. ;)

Yeah, join my orbit.
RetroHelix

Postby amt-morbus » Dec 5th, '13, 10:22 pm

Hey Bliccer, it is a pitty that you throw the towel but I can understand your decision. The community will loose a great mapper and upcoming movie maker - looking forward to watch your next and last defrag movie project.

It is true, at some point you just gotta move on and do new things. Still, it's nice to remember those old days when we had no plan what we were doing exactly - yet we still did. I remember projects like the gdfrun, AMT-Freestyle1 or our shitty homepage that you were so proud of. A ridiculous russian restaurant bill that we could hardly pay, poetry slam, DnB, that stupid card game that you tried to teach me and you tramping with some weird people from Germany to Vienna. Also: Pushing me to finally release maps like AMT-FS4 and 5. :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Anyways, I found that 5-minute "poem"/thought-note you left in 2008:

Ich sitze auf einem Stuhl;
Die kühle Luft über die Arme kriechend;
Die Musik aus den Boxen schallend;
Die Tasten von einer Person getippt;
Eine besonderen Person, die noch länger im Gedächtnis bleiben wird.

I wish you all the creativity you need for your future projects. But keep in mind: At one point you will come back to this.

Cya soon!
amt-morbus

Postby gnj » Dec 6th, '13, 6:25 pm

Goodbye Bliccer!
gnj

Postby 742617000027 » Dec 10th, '13, 8:17 pm

In case I never told you: I love you guys!

Postby BerserK » Apr 12th, '14, 9:05 pm

Bye Bl!ccer. You will be back, like me. I guarantee it :)
"Everyone cares about allowed scripts and huds, lol, care about skills." © P.J.RiPPeR
BerserK